• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Whch direction?

jafount

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Northern California
I am about to sell my match built AR-15 which is topped by a Schmidt Bender 3-12 that I also need to sell. I have an M4gery that I need good optics for, but I'm not sure which direction to go. Can I get some input from the group here on these three similar optics?

1) Leupold 1-4 illuminated tactical
2) IOR 1-4 Illuminated Tactical
3) Nightforce (you guessed it) 1-4 tactical

I'm no longer active law enforcement, so it's not as if I'll be doing building incursions in a tac-stack, but I'd still like a nice optic to top my rifle. Pro's/cons?

Re: Whch direction?

I have the Leupold 1-3 on a Sig 556 and it works great. Ghost ring intensity is fully adjustable and it has always held the zero perfect. With that being said, I am sure you could not go wrong with a NF or IOR!

Since you are selling a S&B, there really is only one solution:

S&B Short Dot.

I have yet to speak with anyone who does not praise it as an excellent optic for an M4. If I could afford it I would have one on my patrol rifle.

I did not like the front focal plane S&B Short Dot especially on low power for CQB. I prefer the rear focal plane NF 1-4 with the FC-2 reticle. I can get on target with it more quickly on any power setting. I also tried the Leupold. Prefer the NF over it also. I prefer a true 1x power level.

The Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x is a good AR scope. (and the only Leupold scope I would ever buy again.)
The IOR 1.5-8x with ill. CQB ret. and 35mm tube is very nice as well. (however it's almost twice as much.)

2 very nice AR scope's I like are:
The IOR QR-TS 3x25mm CQB tactical. It's a 3x scope with an ill. ret., built in mount, quick adj. eye pc., click type knobs, etc.. The glass is super nice. http://www.valdada.com/product/40e3b604-7044-4532-b71d-93037f0e8166.aspx
The other is the Elcan SpecterOS 3.0 You can get this two ways, with bullet drop in the retical, or in the knobs. This scope has the best retical you'll ever see. Again it's a 3x with ranging and BDC ret., built in mount, great glass, etc.. Both of these scope's always seem to be in focus no matter what.
http://www.swfa.com/c-617-elcan-specteros-optical-sights.aspx

Check them out!

Of the 3 listed I'd go with the NF. I've shot a friends NF enough to appreciate the glass and reticle.
For 1/2 the money of NF you could get a Meopta K-dot 1-4. Good to 400yd. very clear glass, true 1X and daytime illumination. I've run one for 3 yrs. worth of 3-gun comps. with no trouble or loss of zero. Very fast on close up stuff, simple to use at distance.

Fantastic info. Thanks to the group. I'm about 15 days (selling an AR match rifle + my ten day waiting period) from getting my hands on my first AR-10.

Though I hunt a Lazzeroni 7 Mag Topped with a Swarovski 4-16x50 PVI-2, I'm up in the air about what to top this AR-10 with, so I'll be hitting up the group for advise for my optic there as well.

I have a guy from over on my Cal-Guns forum who said he wants to trade me the NF 1-4 +cash for my SB, so I think the advise here plus that offer pretty much makes it a no brainer for me. That is, of course unless this guy doesn't get back to me now. I just know I don't want an Aimpoint or Eotech on this thing, because I hate the thought of the batteries going out on me. To me, if you have an optic, you shouldn't really have a need for back up iron sights, and this is what either of those to...even with the magnifier...represents to me.

I didn't know Leupy made a 1-4; can you provide the link?

I'm in a similar situation. I have an EOtech that I'm not really crazy about on my ARs, also an ACOG TA31F which I like a lot but isn't good up close.

Thought about adding a Dr optic on top of the ACOG or LaRue's "tower" for the Aimpoint T1, but don't like the height of either.

So I am looking for a 1-4, considering S&B (Zenith second focal plane, not the 1FP shortdot) and NF. Nobody in my rural area has one, so going on internet information (a little scary).

Understand the NF illumination isn't bright enough for daytime use and not sure if that will matter, but it's a grand cheaper. On the S&B, I don't think the 1.1x factor would bother me as some have said: I have a 2x compact ACOG on my FN PS90 SBR and it is very fast at CQB.

My ideal, would be for NF to punch up the illumination on the FC-2 reticle so it is daytime bright. Which they will probably do right after I buy something....

I just pulled the sig from the safe, the leupold with the illuminated ring for CQ is a 1x3 power, not a 1x4. I don't think leupold makes a 1x4 in this config.