• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wheeler Ind. dovetail cutting devise

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
Does anyone have experience with the Wheeler dovetail cutting guide? If it is any good, where can you find one? I watched a youtube video from MidWay but they no longer carry it. I am cutting the barrel down on my 700 and thought I would give it a shot before I sent it out to a smith. Don't be too hard on me I am just trying to learn abit while I shoot.

Thanks,
OW

Re: Wheeler Ind. dovetail cutting devise

Anyone, know of another guide other than the Wheeler to cut a barrel with hand tools.

Thanks,
OW

Ask and you shall receive, thanks fireball that was just what I was looking for.

OW

I worked in a muzzle loading gun shop when I first started gunwork at age 15. my second day there I was learning to cut dovetails the old way with files. I probably cut 50+ dovetails that first year with files, it's not fun but you learn to be steady and pay attention to details, if you mess up, you'll be owing someone a barrel.
I'm almost 50 now and have been in love with milling machines for cutting dovetails for the last 33 or so years. the Dixie Gun Works jig will work fine, just cross level your barrel and keep the jig level, and if a file will cut your jig, send it back and tell them to give you another one as they're supposed to be damned hard.

I am just starting to gather some hand tools and work myself into the craft abit working on my own hardware. Thanks for your post.

OW