• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When and Why Group Buys

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Over the years, Sniper's Hide has done a ton of group buys. Some of the older members will still go that route, like @bohem did from Patriot Valley last week.

Group buys are a great way to engage the community, highlight your service or get a new product off the ground. Some notable first time group buys include Glen Seekins, the very first Seekins were released on here via a group buy.

A few things have changed over the years. In the past people didn't mind ordering it upfront, or helping them craft the product to build. Like the McMillan A5 stock that was designed on here, it became one of their most popular stocks to date. The members here over the years have asked companies to take a risk on their ideas and often they have worked out for all parties. The A5 bottom metal is one example, we launched it here to see how it worked.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more, bigger projects, etc, every now and then someone will ask a question about it, but when they hear about changes to the model, they often say no. Guys what stuff now, nobody wants to wait, which is unfortunate as something do take time and resources. If you have them, a group buy can still work, as well to conduct market research. How will your idea be received, do people like it as is, or should you modify it ? All solid questions a company today might ask.

I have a small group buy in the works right now. This is an old school one that came back around as part of a request. So I wanted to drop a few breadcrumbs to show you what we have in mind, how we want to drop this buy, and what extras we're are putting in.

First off,

Documenting the project as you go... we started off with a question on the forum, the next step is making chips.'
    GDI PRECISION-Attachment_2 - Copy.jpg

GDI PRECISION_Attachment - Copy.jpg

GDI PRECISION-IMG_4773 - Copy-1.jpg

DSCN0592 - Copy.JPG

Right you have to make stuff, and I need some rings, QD that wins a majority of the Army tests. Sure they might drop a competitor on top, but when you look at the numbers, this is no holds bar champ out there. Don't let em fool ya, they can replace smaller parts, bipods, slings, and mounts so the contract winner isn't always the contract company. On top of that, if they swap it out for a cheaper brand they can keep the difference.

If you ever want to an Alaska Precision Rifle class, we check scopes. Every class we check scopes. Why because scopes, mounting, came be a problem that shows up downrange. Knowing your stuff works, comes on and off correctly is important. We don't damage control the scopes too much when we see an issue, no time. Instead we swap them out and our main mount is this one.
    IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

So here is an example of the mounts. I have a very long relationship with GDI going back to Rifles Only Days.

IMG_2311.JPG

They was the Prymid from a few years ago, the version Marco is release is going to be the PROM which is the full sized model vs the smaller option.

IMG_0931.JPG

The mounting system is really the claim to fame here. These mounts are perfect for in the field, You lock them one, you can secure even better with a 1/4 turn on the slot screws and they have near perfect return to zero.

In about 3 weeks' we'll announce a group buy, discounts for SH Members, Branded T Shirt, fast shipping. Standby

Awesome mounts. One of the very best RTZ ever tested. They won the ACOG contract years ago and also one for the M68/Aimpoint. I still run a couple of each that were sold as contract overruns. I have no need for QD mounts anymore but If I did, GDI would be on the short list.

Tagged for a 34mm and maybe some 30's

Last edited:
    Any reason for the slotted screw heads vs. something like Torx that wouldn't cam-out was easily?

GDI mounts are solid. These were issued mounts when I was in the Corps. My last few MEU deployments we had GDI mounts. I’m in for the group buy

Reactions: Milf Dots
    View attachment 8407788
    These fastener styles are know for premature wear, which you can see here.
    Isn't it actually a lever QD? And that's the adjustment for the lever lock?

If that's the case, it's arguable that you may only turn that screw once or twice. And when it is adjusted, you wouldn't be fiddling with it every time. Just lever on/off. But to my point; the slotted screw would see no torque from the adjustment tool. I think.

The mount in the picture was from Rifles Only, I left there in 2011, and it's more scratched than worn,

View attachment 8407907

Now do a broken a Spuhr
    Frank i swear to fucking god we could induce mass self-deportation if we sat every pathetic whiney entitled cocksuck SH user in foldy chairs at the border and had them spout their garbage can opinions.

Holy fat baby Jesus.

May I suggest including an extra 7 slotted screws per order to get past the issue

Reactions: mike278
    I mean really, I’m working towards a goal and honestly it benefits the members more than me

We can find issues with anything if we look hard enough or just don’t care
    Some people love sphincter head fasteners- because they see themselves in it.

I probably need a couple more scope mounts, so depending on cost and lead time, I'll probably be in for a couple.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    In for a 30mm cantilever.

Last edited:
    Over the years, Sniper's Hide has done a ton of group buys. Some of the older members will still go that route, like @bohem did from Patriot Valley last week.

Group buys are a great way to engage the community, highlight your service or get a new product off the ground. Some notable first time group buys include Glen Seekins, the very first Seekins were released on here via a group buy.

A few things have changed over the years. In the past people didn't mind ordering it upfront, or helping them craft the product to build. Like the McMillan A5 stock that was designed on here, it became one of their most popular stocks to date. The members here over the years have asked companies to take a risk on their ideas and often they have worked out for all parties. The A5 bottom metal is one example, we launched it here to see how it worked.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more, bigger projects, etc, every now and then someone will ask a question about it, but when they hear about changes to the model, they often say no. Guys what stuff now, nobody wants to wait, which is unfortunate as something do take time and resources. If you have them, a group buy can still work, as well to conduct market research. How will your idea be received, do people like it as is, or should you modify it ? All solid questions a company today might ask.

I have a small group buy in the works right now. This is an old school one that came back around as part of a request. So I wanted to drop a few breadcrumbs to show you what we have in mind, how we want to drop this buy, and what extras we're are putting in.

First off,

Documenting the project as you go... we started off with a question on the forum, the next step is making chips.'
    View attachment 8407208
    View attachment 8407210
    View attachment 8407211

View attachment 8407206

Right you have to make stuff, and I need some rings, QD that wins a majority of the Army tests. Sure they might drop a competitor on top, but when you look at the numbers, this is no holds bar champ out there. Don't let em fool ya, they can replace smaller parts, bipods, slings, and mounts so the contract winner isn't always the contract company. On top of that, if they swap it out for a cheaper brand they can keep the difference.

If you ever want to an Alaska Precision Rifle class, we check scopes. Every class we check scopes. Why because scopes, mounting, came be a problem that shows up downrange. Knowing your stuff works, comes on and off correctly is important. We don't damage control the scopes too much when we see an issue, no time. Instead we swap them out and our main mount is this one.
    View attachment 8407222

View attachment 8407225

So here is an example of the mounts. I have a very long relationship with GDI going back to Rifles Only Days.

View attachment 8407226

They was the Prymid from a few years ago, the version Marco is release is going to be the PROM which is the full sized model vs the smaller option.

View attachment 8407227

The mounting system is really the claim to fame here. These mounts are perfect for in the field, You lock them one, you can secure even better with a 1/4 turn on the slot screws and they have near perfect return to zero.

In about 3 weeks' we'll announce a group buy, discounts for SH Members, Branded T Shirt, fast shipping. Standby
    At least now we know why you were asking about our ideal mount thoughts a few weeks ago. I think this hit every suggestion I made. I’m in for 30’s.