• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When are primer pockets spent?

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I was just priming a bunch of brass, both lapua and winchester 260 brass and it got me thinking as I have not fired them enough ,or any brass for that matter, to discard them because of loose primer pockets. So when is a primer pocket done? When they show signs of leakage? Several of my Lapua brass cases got over pressured during development and now the primer pockets are much looser than the rest, but still tighter than twice fired Winchester brass. I have not seen any leaks and haven't been using max loads. Are there any rules of thumb I should follow?

Justin

Re: When are primer pockets spent?

When the primer falls out of the pocket its too loose. I've ever primed a case or two where the primer went in EASY. They didnt leak.

You definitely want to avoid the leaks. That will erode your bolt face... that aint ni good.