• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When did Brownell's start charging for insurance?

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I was looking at some MDT stuff on Brownell's and I noticed that they had an option to pay $3 to cover lost, stolen, or damaged shipments. It's been awhile since I've ordered from them and I don't remember that being there. What changed and when?

Late post to this thread but if it helps someone its worth it. Every shipping company (Fed Ex, UPS, ect) has a limited liability for lost packages without any insurance being added. For example UPS will pay up to $100 for any lost or samaged packaged shipped domestically. So if your purchase is $100 or less don't insure it. If its more than that you have to weigh your options.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
    Copy/Paste from a similar arfcom thread:

First, let's start out with what happens if you DON'T choose the $3 shipping protection. If something happens that's our fault, we'll take care of you. If it's lost in transit, we'll take care of you. Even if it shows up damaged with evidence on the packaging as such, we'll take care of you because we can go after the carrier for damages. The main benefit of this shipping protection is for stolen items. In a case where the carrier scans the package as delivered or has other proof of delivery, and you claim to have not received it (i.e. it was stolen,) then there's not really anything we can do about it. The $3 is like any other insurance. If something bad happens, where the package has proof of delivery, but it's not there when you go to grab it, the $3 provides a budget to take care of it. We actually got the idea from items we've personally ordered from other e-com vendors for personal use (not gun related stuff.) Interestingly enough, the order that we got the idea from had the cost already built into the shipping as a surcharge, so we were forced to pay it. We're giving you the option to opt-in for insurance, instead of automatically building it into the cost. It's flattering that you would compare us to someone as big as Amazon, but we're nowhere near that, and don't deal in products that have high-enough margin to be able to send out free replacements for every claim, carte blanche. The $3 insurance is the best, most economical way that we have to provide that type of buyer protection. Unfortunately we can't make everyone happy, and if we would've just increased all of our shipping rates by $1 for every order to cover the costs of a policy like Amazon's, then someone else would pop into this forum and complain about our shipping rates being too high. Offering a $3 protection plan is the best solution we have, so that everyone remains whole.

Hopefully that clears up any misunderstandings you may have had.

I understand I ran logistics for a major retailer that everyone would recognize for years. I was going to mention theft but it is really a separate category. If you agree to allow the carrier to just drop a package on your porch without a signature and it gets stolen, both the retailer and the carrier have fulfilled their contract and you are at the mercy of the retailer. The problem is most consumers blame the retailer, so the retailer has to do a cost benefit analysis to determine if they want to lose money to fix a customers problem, or risk losing that customers business in the future by refusing to help.

It's a good idea IMO.

It's an option and not mandatory.

I agree. Peace of mind is worth something to me. Which is why I added that $3 charge to the $200 order for Redding dies I coincidentally just placed. Also factors in to why I use some Vortex scopes (Other Mfgs also have great warranty/CS)

do what you want to.

If you live in a high density area that thefts are likely, I would buy the extra insurance