• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When did everyone start "driving" rifles?

Erud

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2005
Maybe it's just me, but I would feel like a total douche even talking about driving a rifle. Isn't anyone satisfied with just plain "shooting" them anymore? If not, is there possibly an even cooler term we could all start using?

How about "Riding"?

Or "Piloting"?

Or my personal favorite: "Captaining"?

Open to other suggestions as long as they are at least equal in awesomeness to mine.

Re: When did everyone start "driving" rifles?

Well...I've been "driving" a rifle for stress relief since my wife/family started "driving" me crazy and causing my hair to turn gray and fall out!
wink.gif

As to the topic at hand...there's all sorts of interesting "slang" that I hear getting tossed around with respect to shooting. "Driving" a rifle is at about the bottom of the list in terms of my concerns, but if I hear one more douche lord at the range tell his douche bag buddy to "send it" when referring to emptying a full mag from his AK variant into everything BUT the intended target...I may have to hurt somebody!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well...I've been "driving" a rifle for stress relief since my wife/family started "driving" me crazy and causing my hair to turn gray and fall out!
wink.gif

As to the topic at hand...there's all sorts of interesting "slang" that I hear getting tossed around with respect to shooting. "Driving" a rifle is at about the bottom of the list in terms of my concerns, but if I hear one more douche lord at the range tell his douche bag buddy to "send it" when referring to emptying a full mag from his AK variant into everything BUT the intended target...I may have to hurt somebody! </div></div>

Hey, that gives me an idea - what if we just start calling it "Douche Lording"?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, that gives me an idea - what if we just start calling it "Douche Lording"?!? </div></div>

Hey...whatever floats your boat, my friend!
wink.gif

If the laws keep restricting our rights with respect to firearms ownership, you may have to call it spear-wielding, baseball bat-swinging, or even worse...fly fishing!
wink.gif

Is there a "LIKE" button on here somewhere...

umm who cares? You call it what you want, I'll call it what I want; that's what slang is for. At least post this in in pit or something.

Frank uses the term "driving" frequently, is he also a douchebag? What about all the professionals and instructors that use the term? Douchebags as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the laws keep restricting our rights with respect to firearms ownership, you may have to call it spear-wielding, baseball bat-swinging, or even worse...fly fishing!</div></div>

When a kid my pyro friends and I would speak in code so no one new we were playing with fire. Code for matches was bullets. No one would have thought twice about us talking about bullets. Times have changed.

We coined it on Sniper's Hide, it's a way of describing how to stay engaged with the rifle and that you need to "drive" the rifle through recoil.

it's is best described when talking about a semi auto for accuracy.

The problem is, too many feel once the shot breaks their job is over and they either tap the trigger and disengage or still stop following through completely the instant they perceive recoil. Driving the rifle implies an level of engagement most don't understand, or fail to achieve.

Driving is not, steering, and driving is not forcing, driving is letting the rifle do its job while you continue to do yours, which includes following through.

But if "douche" fits you better, I recommend sticking with that...

The term driving a rifle is a pretty old term. It has been used in BR for decades. Typically used to describe how a precision rifle is shot, you either shoot free recoil or you drive it. In perfect conditions i tend to shot free recoil, this is with a 11.5lb rifle in 6 br on a pedestal rest. In less then good conditions, switching winds, I tend to drive the rifle. If i shoot off a bipod prone, which is mostly these days, i always drive the rifle. Call it what u will, but the term has been around for a longtime. You just heard it lately i guess, the over use of like and literally really cause my skin to crawl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How about "Riding"?

Or "Piloting"?

</div></div>

Its not a airplane or a frigate, its a rifle
wink.gif

Along the same lines I like the way guys are "running" stuff. "Running" a USO, "running" a 142 grain SMK etc.

You can "ride" the rifle through recoil too... that also implies staying still until the pulse is over.

Again, it fits a semi auto better, press the trigger, hold it to the rear and ride the rifle through recoil staying engaged with the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's just me, but I would feel like a total douche even talking about driving a rifle. Isn't anyone satisfied with just plain "shooting" them anymore? If not, is there possibly an even cooler term we could all start using?

How about "Riding"? </div></div>Well... It <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> just you.

But it might be better to feel like like a douche than to sound like one by showing an utter lack of training and experience when your criticism stumbles upon the main point of several training exercises: That there is a difference between driving a rifle and riding one.

It's an analogy to motor racing that describes the difference between driving and being a passenger - controlling the car while it is out of control versus being overwhelmed by events, disengaging, and ending-up along for the ride as it crashes. The term 'driving' is used to show how and why most people are operating a practical precision rifle incorrectly when they are 'just plain "shooting"' it.

No offense intended, but good criticism requires a thorough understanding of what it being criticized. Maybe you yourself could suggest a more accuracte and constructive term together with a better, more detailed explanation based on your knowledge, skills and abilities. Or maybe the best thing to do now is to attack others, this post included, in order to better claim to be a victim. I suspect that either would be a waste of bandwith equal to your initial post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's just me, but I would feel like a total douche even talking about driving a rifle. Isn't anyone satisfied with just plain "shooting" them anymore? If not, is there possibly an even cooler term we could all start using?

How about "Riding"?

Or "Piloting"?

Open to other suggestions as long as they are at least equal in awesomeness to mine.

</div></div>

I agree it seems partially constructed of kool-aid.

However I do understand the distinction people are suggesting with the term.

You can sit on a bench and with minimal input shoot the rifle, or you can attempt as much as possible to minimize the movement of the rifle for rapid follow-up shots or even for spotting your own trace.

I've heard the Marine Corps Sniper program is teaching people to spot their own trace now- well maybe now that they have the S&B glass that's a possibility.

They use a specialized sling tensioned prone that pulls the muzzle toward the ground allowing fairly flat recoil- pulling the gun tight like a macro version of handgun grip for recoil control.

For carbines it is "Drive the gun toward the center of the target" as in "push always toward center" an implication of rapid fire with precision. Here drive sounds like a better fit.

I'd rather lose the term "driving" and I don't use it, but I understand what people are implying when they do. Mostly my resistance to the term is I feel it is over-used. People say "I have to learn to drive" like just improving shooting is what they think people are trying to say.

No it's not- it's about making things consistent, but also making that recoil control predictable, and spotting trace or impact. I feel the overuse by people who don't know what they are talking about is what is making the term more annoying.

As Frank said, it really becomes an issue with semi-autos. I find myself working on small things with semi-autos. A group has a flier and I think "was my bipod load consistent for that round?" or "was my grip pressure and tension on the gun the same as before?" The semi-autos are more erratic, and the triggers often lack the pedigree and it all makes them more of a mental challenge when I'm attempting to use them in the traditional role of a bolt gun.

Boy, some of you drivers sure are sensitive! Didn't realize that this would be such a controversial topic.

I do like Graham's insinuation that not using the "driving" term suggests that you don't know how to shoot!, though! Almost like one of Sterling Shooter's posts.
grin.gif

Good stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do like Graham's insinuation that not using the "driving" term suggests that you don't know how to shoot!, though! Almost like one of Sterling Shooter's posts. :grin </div></div>

lmfao....

Im not a shooter, im an operator.
My rifle is elaborate enough to be called a weapons system.
I dont operate a weapon system, i drive it.
Im... So confused.

Maybe i'll stick to plinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338FedAr10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not a shooter, im an operator.
My rifle is elaborate enough to be called a weapons system.
I dont operate a weapon system, i drive it.
Im... So confused.

Maybe i'll stick to plinking. </div></div>

HAHA I agree the "weapons system" is seemingly over-elaborate.

It was fun to know the M24 was a SWS "Sniper weapon system" - it was neat to have a shipping case full of odd doodads mostly sstuff that never leaves the case.

The M110's were much cooler- they even supplied web gear with them.

Now people are advertising carbines as a weapon system and that's a little more of a stretch- I mean the M110 had spare parts, a night vision scope, a suppressor, web gear, a sling (maybe two), bipod, cleaning rod and jags, etc. That was a system.

*** news flash *** new TAB Gear products ***

TAB Gear has announced its latest additional to precision rifle shooting accessories -- the Douche Bag. It's the perfect item for every douche nozzle shooter wishing to improve his precision shooting/spraying results.

The DB (as it will be commonly called) provides multi-function capabilities in steadying the rifle butt (and shooter's butt, for that matter), promoting better rifle driving, and maintaining that fresh-like-strawberries feeling.

[I hope Tony gives me a royalty from the TAB DB sales. ;)]

I think if someone new to the site will read some of the lingo but will not understand the true meaning behind it, that's where the confusion comes from. Rifle "plumber" for gunsmith or "pills" for bullets are all interesting ways to change words for sake of keeping it interesting, driving a rifle as Lowlight mentioned has a more specific real world meaning to the mechanics of shooting a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*** news flash *** new TAB Gear products ***

TAB Gear has announced its latest additional to precision rifle shooting accessories -- the Douche Bag. It's the perfect item for every douche nozzle shooter wishing to improve his precision shooting/spraying results.

The DB (as it will be commonly called) provides multi-function capabilities in steadying the rifle butt (and shooter's butt, for that matter), promoting better rifle driving, and maintaining that fresh-like-strawberries feeling.

[I hope Tony gives me a royalty from the TAB DB sales. ;)] </div></div>

If you hook up with a company that also markets these, you'll be a rich man. If they buy the bag, sooner or later they're going to want the nozzle to go with it (LOL).

Douchenozzle-1.jpg

I had typed a response out and was ready to post it when I got bumped off and now it's gone. So here is a quick summary.

Never heard that term used for precision rifle until I started reading the forums here. never heard it when I went through SOTIC or by others in my community when talking about precision rifles. I am assuming the term "drive" was bastardized by someone who didn't quite understand how it was and has been used for a good deal of time when talking about pistol/carbines. The definition of Driving the weapon or driving the front sight post when speaking about pistol/carbine differs greatly from the way I've heard it used for precision rifle. I am not saying one is right and the other is wrong, just how I've been exposed to it and understand it. With that said, I think there is a better term than "drive" out there to describe what is being done with a precision rifle, what that term is I am not sure but terms like "manipulate and (heres a good one) "operate" seem like better terms than drive. I will think about this and I'm sure I can come up with a catchy term that I can start dropping at SHOT show, at gun stores and online. pretty soon all the cool kids will be using it when standing around the weapons cleaning tank at the end of the day.
smile.gif

Looking forward to it, Papa Zero Three. As of right now, "captaining" still the leader in th club house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's just me, but I would feel like a total douche even talking about driving a rifle. Isn't anyone satisfied with just plain "shooting" them anymore? If not, is there possibly an even cooler term we could all start using?

How about "Riding"? </div></div>Well... It <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> just you.

But it might be better to feel like like a douche than to sound like one by showing an utter lack of training and experience when your criticism stumbles upon the main point of several training exercises: That there is a difference between driving a rifle and riding one.

It's an analogy to motor racing that describes the difference between driving and being a passenger - controlling the car while it is out of control versus being overwhelmed by events, disengaging, and ending-up along for the ride as it crashes. The term 'driving' is used to show how and why most people are operating a practical precision rifle incorrectly when they are 'just plain "shooting"' it.

No offense intended, but good criticism requires a thorough understanding of what it being criticized. Maybe you yourself could suggest a more accuracte and constructive term together with a better, more detailed explanation based on your knowledge, skills and abilities. Or maybe the best thing to do now is to attack others, this post included, in order to better claim to be a victim. I suspect that either would be a waste of bandwith equal to your initial post. </div></div>

That's an awful high horse there, Tonto. You may have single-handedly affirmed the OP's original thought lol.

"Become one" with the rifle... I don’t care, but I kind of like “driving” rifles to operating them. I operate and manipulate a lot of things that don’t require finesse. Any who thanks for the laughs along the way! I am going back to manipulate my mouse while operating my computer whose operating system seems to be lagging and ITS DRIVIN' ME NUTS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TAB Gear has announced its latest additional to precision rifle shooting accessories -- the Douche Bag. It's the perfect item for every douche nozzle shooter wishing to improve his precision shooting/spraying results.

The DB (as it will be commonly called) provides multi-function capabilities in steadying the rifle butt (and shooter's butt, for that matter), promoting better rifle driving, and maintaining that fresh-like-strawberries feeling.</div></div>

To good.

i just call my buddies and say "want to pop off some rounds" meaning we are going to burn through anywhere from 1000-5000 rounds. if i call and say "lets hit some steel" then that means we are going to go and shoot our bolt guns at 600 over at ASC.

every group of individuals/group of friends has their own way of saying "lets go shoot". I've never used the term "drive my rifle though".

i do use the term "send it" or "shot out" so my buddy knows I'm 1-looking at the target waiting for him to shoot or 2- letting my buddy know I'm about to shoot and i want to know he is looking at the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i do use the term "send it" or "shot out" so my buddy knows I'm 1-looking at the target waiting for him to shoot or 2- letting my buddy know I'm about to shoot and i want to know he is looking at the target. </div></div>

If you are using "shot out" and you are firing the weapon you have it backwards. Technically you would be the FDC and should use "shot over" to which your FO (spotter) would respond "shot out"

At the end of the day if the Bubba next to you knows what you mean you can say whatever floats your boat that you both agree on. But this is a good example of how "drive" might have been adopted to mean something completely different from what it means to everyone else.

I think this word might best describe what is being done with a rifle and meets the definition that lowlight gave above. I think #3 is the best descriptor for what we do on a rifle. As an example: "you need to regulate the weapon " instead of "you need to drive the weapon". Of course an explanation of what was meant by "regulate" would need to be provided to others before you could use it seamlessly while speaking. I may give this one a try to see how it catches on.
smile.gif

reg·u·late (rgy-lt)
tr.v. reg·u·lat·ed, reg·u·lat·ing, reg·u·lates
1. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.
2. To adjust to a particular specification or requirement: regulate temperature.
<span style="font-weight: bold">3. To adjust (a mechanism) for accurate and proper functioning.</span>
4. To put or maintain in order: regulate one's eating habits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jordan0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about copulate </div></div>

You might want to Google that word cause if you're copulating your weapon you have some issues that go beyond this forum.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....if it doesn't/shouldn't apply to rifles then why to sex???

....and then the "douche bag" begged me to "drive" my dick home!!!

....so yea, yer right douche bag was before driving,...I think! </div></div>

You mean yanking the trigger? Or riding it like a wild pony!

I like "captaining"

Damn, did you just see him Capt'n Ron that bolt gun?

Driving works too

Man, he just "Mario Andrettied" that AR-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papa Zero Three</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jordan0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about copulate </div></div>

You might want to Google that word cause if you're copulating your weapon you have some issues that go beyond this forum.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ummm yeah, about that...

I don't get to drive mine until I've humped it for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We coined it on Sniper's Hide, it's a way of describing how to stay engaged with the rifle and that you need to "drive" the rifle through recoil.
it's is best described when talking about a semi auto for accuracy.
The problem is, too many feel once the shot breaks their job is over and they either tap the trigger and disengage or still stop following through completely the instant they perceive recoil. Driving the rifle implies an level of engagement most don't understand, or fail to achieve.
Driving is not, steering, and driving is not forcing, driving is letting the rifle do its job while you continue to do yours, which includes following through.

But if "douche" fits you better, I recommend sticking with that... </div></div>

Lol!! In yo face

"The problem is, too many feel once the shot breaks their job is over and they either tap the trigger and disengage or still stop following through completely the instant they perceive recoil."

That's what she said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The problem is, too many feel once the shot breaks their job is over and they either tap the trigger and disengage or still stop following through completely the instant they perceive recoil."

That's what she said! </div></div>

Bravo, sir!

The cool part of adopting and using the term "regulate " is that the meat bags behind the gun can now call themselves and be known as "regulators". Everyone is an operator these days but how many can say they are regulators?
grin.gif

I'm telling you, this shit is gonna catch on and become the new black. Just remember you heard it here first.
grin.gif
HAHA

It started right after I named my first rifle Miss Daisy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's just me, but I would feel like a total douche even talking about driving a rifle. Isn't anyone satisfied with just plain "shooting" them anymore? If not, is there possibly an even cooler term we could all start using?

No offense intended, but good criticism requires a thorough understanding of what it being criticized. Maybe you yourself could suggest a more accuracte and constructive term together with a better, more detailed explanation based on your knowledge, skills and abilities. Or maybe the best thing to do now is to attack others, this post included, in order to better claim to be a victim. I suspect that either would be a waste of bandwith equal to your initial post. </div></div>

You know, I do kind of feel like a victim now that you mention it. I think it was your sternly-worded post that hurt my feelings.

Since you don't like the term "riding", let me ask; do you "drive" a bicycle? Or a motorcycle? Snowmobile? How about a horse? Or do you just drive your motor racing cars and rifles? Seems like there are lots of things that a person "rides" that still require their control.

The possible confusion spelled out above is just one of the many reasons I feel that "Captaining" is a much better term for what the elite marksmen like yourself do with a rifle. Plus, it sounds totally bad-ass. Me, I guess I'll just stick to "shooting", I always thought that the term referred to the whole process, not just the actual pull of the trigger...

Driving seems to be an appropriate term. For most of my shooting life, I would not drive the rifle. I was very good at remaining perfectly still, not flinching, not jerking the trigger, but my follow through sucked. I have had a 17HMR "jump" out of my hands during recoil. My shots were pretty accurate, but you can forget about a follow up shot. Even now, from time to time, my finger will hook around the trigger during recoil, indicating that I am not "driving" the rifle through recoil properly. I am riding it, meaning the rifle is recoiling with my body, but if I were truly driving it, I would be in the same position after the recoil impulse as before.

Note that you can be pretty accurate without driving the rifle properly, but I have found that I am even more accurate when I do "drive" the rifle. What's more, is I feel better about the shot. If my sights are on, I broke the trigger correctly, and I drove my rifle correctly, I have a pretty solid chance of making a good shot (absent the wind read and similar factors).