• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

when do you call someone out for non-payment?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Sold something here on the hide, shipped it to the buyer and he said he got it and it looked good and would send the money.

Couple weeks go by, and no money shows up.

So, how long do you (personally) try to contact the buyer before you drag his screen name though the mud for not paying up?

Re: when do you call someone out for non-payment?

I've never shipped anything prior to receiving verified payment.
Do you have a phone number? Have you tried it?

These never end well.

Really. Here, there, or anywhere, money first until you're dealing with a known commodity.

Call them out, what's the worst that can happen?

Money first, then ship the goods. If they're not happy they can send it back and get a refund. It's the same if they were to purchase it from an internet store. If it has been weeks CALL THEM OUT! so they can't burn anyone else. BTW even if there has been some kind of family problem they should have contacted you to keep you in the loop, so that excuse won't float the boat.

Jamie

That's a tough one. Before you go plastering his name on here I would be sure that you have all of your ducks in a row.

Copies of emails or other communications.
Copy of mailing and/or shipping info and receipt of shipment.
Number of attempts to get a response from the individual.
Copy of the posting if it was on here in the classifieds.

If you have all of your ducks in a row to back up what you say and have given him adequate time to reply then proceed as you see fit. I personally would not slam him but simply state the facts.

I sent this to this person.
I have tried to contact said person with no response.
Said person has not paid for the item.

Be the better person as others will see the name of the individual and form their opinions.....that should be a given as to what it should be.

The other thing you can do is look at user posts and see if he has had dealings with any others on here and PM them to see how it went, if they had any issues, and if they have any other contact info for them.

Good luck and I hope you learned to not send an item until it's paid for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never shipped anything prior to receiving verified payment. </div></div>

My policy, as well.

Uh...yeah. No money...no shipey!!

Only once in the past have I been involved in a transaction where goods shipped before payment was in hand and that was with a well-known and trusted member that I knew was GTG.

Why would you run the risk shipping an item before you have received payment for it?!?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sold something here on the hide, shipped it to the buyer and he said he got it and it looked good and would send the money.

</div></div>

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

1. Provide name (real and handle), address, contact info so he can't hide behind another handle.

2. Tell the dipstick you will call the police in his area to report the theft and fraud he has committed. I hope you sent the item by registered mail and have a delivery confirmation receipt. Keep all PMs as well.

3. If he doesn't send money in 24hrs, call the cops and be done with it.

4. Learn your lesson.

Good luck with getting your cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Sold something here on the hide, shipped it to the buyer and he said he got it and it looked good and would send the money.

Couple weeks go by, and no money shows up.</span> </div></div>

I found the guy:

i-am-not-a-scammer-he-is.jpg

yea, I know it's stupid to ship first but there wasn't that much money involved and I've been treated right by hide members before so I was trying to pass the good will along. You can see where that's got me.

The last communication I got from him was, uh, quite a while back saying "yep it looks good and I'll send the money" so clearly it arrived.

Sigh.

In reference to the last post: all 'Hiders are not created equal.

I have shipped and received over $10K worth of goods on this site. In the last 10 days, I have sent $430 for a scope and it was a perfect transaction(thanks "css"). Another member has shipped a scope and provided the tracking number for a scope he is shipping in a trade for a wheelgun and a some money. I anticipate no problems.

But there is ONE IN EVERY CROWD!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sold something here on the hide, shipped it to the buyer and he said he got it and it looked good and would send the money.

So, how long do you (personally) try to contact the buyer before you drag his screen name though the mud for not paying up?
</div></div>

So who was it? A little advertising of this matter should help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea, I know it's stupid to ship first but there wasn't that much money involved and I've been treated right by hide members before so I was trying to pass the good will along. You can see where that's got me.

The last communication I got from him was, uh, quite a while back saying "yep it looks good and I'll send the money" so clearly it arrived.

Sigh. </div></div>

Jayne, it seems you made a choice to pass on the goodwill and despite the mockery there's nothing wrong with that.

What is perplexing is that despite asking for advice you seem to not want to do anything about it. If you really want to support this community then do the bestt thing for it and out the guy who has ripped you off. It will help others and perhaps get you payment for what's owed. Choosing to do nothing only encourages him to do it again.

Good luck.

I'm not doing "nothing" yet, I was giving him one last chance to respond.

What's the outting protocol? Post a message saying "XYZ stole my stuff!" or just put it in a thread like this, or just PM the moderators and let them do what they will?

Jayne,

You have already started a LENGTHY thread now on this issue, so just put up a post with the person's info for all to see right here (user name on the Hide and real name, address, other contact info, e-mail, etc.). If you want, you can provide a link to the original thread where the douchebag indicated that he would purchase the item. The basic concept is to let the other members here know that if they deal with this deadbeat, they do so at their own peril and with the full knowledge that he has already wronged another member in the past.

By continuing to delay, seek opinions, and otherwise not post up the details, you are giving this person opportunity to screw someone else over.

Whether you start a new thread here or just use this one...its up to you.

I would contact a member of the moderator community here on the Hide and see if they can rattle their chain for you . Most of the outings that have taken place seem to end poorly and aggravate Frank which is generally a no win for anyone . If you know one of the Mods or have done business with one of them that's where I would start .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would contact a member of the moderator community here on the Hide and see if they can rattle their chain for you . Most of the outings that have taken place seem to end poorly and aggravate Frank which is generally a no win for anyone . If you know one of the Mods or have done business with one of them that's where I would start . </div></div>

That's what I ultimately did, the mods can ban him and then we're done with this.