• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When does Retumbo surpass H1000

OkieMike

avowed heathen knuckle dragger
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
NE Oklahoma
I have both powders on my shelf for 300 Win Mag...

Never have tried Retumbo but I've used H1000. I don't recall ever seeing load data for pills under 200 gr for Retumbo in 300 WM... So that's something of a clue to me, it's a bit too slow for sub 200 gr pills. I also realize it will probably work but may be suboptimal.

At what bullet weight would I be better off trying Retumbo over H1000 in 300 WM?

And I realize every rifle and component combo is unique as to what works... I guess I'm asking in general.

No particular reason for this query. Just something I've wondered about for a while and used a caliber and bullets I'm familiar with to set the parameters.

Mike

Here's my reference load for Retumbo in my MPA 300-WM rifle.
1700238510332.png
1700238550193.png

It gives me awesome results out to a mile. I use H1000 for the larger stuff (300-NM, 338-LM). I have lots of both, and have found that Retumbo is best in my 300-WM ... but that's just me. Hope that helps.

Reactions: OkieMike
I usually see higher velocity numbers from retumbo than from H1000 with heavies, but I always get tighter ES and SD with H1000, even though H1000 is a bit slower.

I tend to favor H1000 just because I'd rather give up a little velocity for tighter ES/SD, especially when shooting at longer ranges where that tighter ES/SD is more evident on the target.

Every gun is different though, so it's still worth testing.

Reactions: OkieMike
H-Retumbo is a terrible powder. And you don't need to buy any more of it!
Really? Not my experience at all. I use Retumbo in several long range loads and get single-digit SD's and consistent hits out to a mile. I've struggled to decide which I like better, H1000 or Retumbo ... as they both perform really well in my long range rifles. That said ... to each his own.

In my .338LM I run H-1000 with 250 to 285 grain bullets but Retumbo for 300 gainers.
AI-AXMC 29in barrel

Berger Hybrid 300gr
Nosler Brass
215M
Retumbo 90.4
AVG FPS 2798
SD 6.8 ( 10 shot test group)

285 ELD-M
Nosler Brass
215M
H-1000 92.6
AVG FPS 2877
SD 7.2 (10 shot test group)

When shooting passed 2000 yards the Berger just carry better. Longest hit at a ELR match 2650 on a 40x40 target with the Bergers.

Reactions: OkieMike and lash
Really? Not my experience at all. I use Retumbo in several long range loads and get single-digit SD's and consistent hits out to a mile. I've struggled to decide which I like better, H1000 or Retumbo ... as they both perform really well in my long range rifles. That said ... to each his own.
It went over your head.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee