• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft When fireants and stringy dresses meet.

MallNinja243

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
So.... I got goat roped into going on a predator hunt in S. Texas. We set up where the cut rice and fallow fields meet up on a levee with a fence lined with trees behind us about 25ft. There is up to a 400yd shot at 12:00, a 200yd shot to our 9 and a spear chuck to our 3. There wasn't any sense in watching the 6 because that was down wind. The sun is just setting and for whatever reason, my partner and bird hunting buddy (we'll call him Fred) thought it would be a good idea to use his Ghillie suits. Mind you, these are not hand built minimal suits, they're basically a Chewbacca skin. Against my better judgement, I agreed. This was the first of a couple bad decisions.

The FoxPro was set up in the rice about 20ft off the levee to conceal the mechanism and call box. We started calling and we have a single yote sitting and watching very reluctantly. Not wanting to spook what might be behind him, we wait a few minutes. After about 2 to 3 minutes of him milling around like a canine version of Homer Simpson, it happened.... The little red bastards found their way in through the polyester jungle!

I, very hastily brought the hammer down on the yote and proceeded to unass everything I was wearing because the violent little creatures were headed south at a sprint.

Not thinking clearly from the action, I decided to go for a quick dip in the (I found out quickly) EXTREMELY FUCKING COLD!!!! water that was left in the rice field so maybe I could shake a few off or drown them. I damn near drowned myself and got hypothermia all at the same time.

Moral of the story, watch where you lay in the south and don't give in to peer pressure!

We were taking some pictures of crocagators whilst in Florida a few weeks ago. I learned VERY QUICKLY what "fire-ants" were all about, after stepping on/near a nest.

Still have marks on my foot.

Reactions: TACC
Last year was bad for ants so my naibor came over with his professional stuff and actually killed them out.

Next thing I know dogs and us ate up with fleas. The ants were keeping the fleas knocked out.

I love Texas.

Reactions: TACC
Last year was bad for ants so my naibor came over with his professional stuff and actually killed them out.

Next thing I know dogs and us ate up with fleas. The ants were keeping the fleas knocked out.

I love Texas.

Isn't Texas great? lol. Mosquitos around the coast aren't the ones that might land on you. Those little fuckers are hungry!

Reactions: Snuby642
Yep, those little red biting bastards are great. And they love stock tanks as much as game animals.
I remember dove hunts where you had to move every 10 minutes or they would gang up on you.

If you kill them all be ready for ticks. I’d rather deal with a few ant bites instead. To bad they can’t eat up the mosquitos like they do everything else.
I’ve made a habit of keeping bug repellant in the truck 24-7 and spraying down my boots when out in the pastures to dissuade things from trying to crawl up to make a meal off me.

Now that's funny right there....LOL Childhood in the South has a learning curve.

If you got rid of all the fire ants in SC, Georgia would have a state-long Atlantic coastline.

no pics , no video sharing is a form of caring and getting to share in the experience of anthers misery makes life grand . I am sorry you had a bad experience with the ants , it still had to be a better day than an ok day at work .

no pics , no video sharing is a form of caring and getting to share in the experience of anthers misery makes life grand . I am sorry you had a bad experience with the ants , it still had to be a better day than an ok day at work .

Strangely enough, I really wasn't thinking about pictures or a video at that time..

Now that's funny right there....LOL Childhood in the South has a learning curve.

Evidently so does adulthood. I knew better than to go along with his "plan" but I did. I paid for it too.

Reactions: HeavyAssault