• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When I was 17 and in High School... I met this man....

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So I had no idea, in 1982, what this really meant. But we had a speaker in High School. Our whole school from 7-12 was about 220 kids. So it was not some massive group of kids. We got some incredible experiences that would have been lost in bigger schools.

But we met Alexander Solzhenitsyn who came and spoke at our school. He lived in Vermont. Meeting him didn't mean a ton at the time... he was an assembly speaker. And I listened and it was something that seemed to make sense. But he was a speaker. And we had to go to assembly. So was not something I, as a kid, thought was life-changing. Was a few years before I knew what I had heard and why it mattered so much.

He did not talk about this quote. But years later, when I read it, the planets aligned. So much made sense.

From "The Gulag Archipelago"... which I didn't read until later... but loved "The Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch" a short story/book based on the Gulag tome.

Take this to heart. Read it. Read it 10 times. Share it. Live it. This is from a man who knows what freedoms-lost really means.

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrest, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood that they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? After all, you knew ahead of time that those bluecaps were out at night for no good purpose. And you could be sure ahead of time that you’d be cracking the skull of a cutthroat. What about the Black Maria sitting out there on the street with one lonely chauffeur – what if it had been driven off or its tires spiked. The Organs [Soviet state institutions] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!"

Read the Gulag Archipelago. Understand that some folks have this in mind for America. And that it can be prevented. Simply by adhering to the above quote. They censor that quote on social media. They call that quote fake. That quote is real. It is heartfelt. It will prevent totalitarianism. If the Jewish People in German had recognized this.... If the Chinese had recognized this... if the Cambodians... Cubans... North Koreans... had followed these rules.

Subservience is permitted. It's allowed. By the subservient. If you don't submit, it doesn't happen. There are not enough oppressors to subjugate you if you don't allow yourself to submit. They run out of secret police long before freedom-loving people run out of citizens. Unless you capitulate.

Sirhr

That book and that quote made an impression on me as a teen. It means even more today.

That’s awesome. Love the book. Actually re-reading it right now. Seemed timely.

Not to diminish the power of the book or your post , I was recently thinkin of the scene from Defiance where the local authority is confronted at his own dinner table . Gonna read or Audible this .

Reactions: diverdon
So I had no idea, in 1982, what this really meant. But we had a speaker in High School. Our whole school from 7-12 was about 220 kids. So it was not some massive group of kids. We got some incredible experiences that would have been lost in bigger schools.

But we met Alexander Solzhenitsyn who came and spoke at our school. He lived in Vermont. Meeting him didn't mean a ton at the time... he was an assembly speaker. And I listened and it was something that seemed to make sense. But he was a speaker. And we had to go to assembly. So was not something I, as a kid, thought was life-changing. Was a few years before I knew what I had heard and why it mattered so much.

He did not talk about this quote. But years later, when I read it, the planets aligned. So much made sense.

From "The Gulag Archipelago"... which I didn't read until later... but loved "The Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch" a short story/book based on the Gulag tome.

Take this to heart. Read it. Read it 10 times. Share it. Live it. This is from a man who knows what freedoms-lost really means.

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrest, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood that they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? After all, you knew ahead of time that those bluecaps were out at night for no good purpose. And you could be sure ahead of time that you’d be cracking the skull of a cutthroat. What about the Black Maria sitting out there on the street with one lonely chauffeur – what if it had been driven off or its tires spiked. The Organs [Soviet state institutions] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!"

Read the Gulag Archipelago. Understand that some folks have this in mind for America. And that it can be prevented. Simply by adhering to the above quote. They censor that quote on social media. They call that quote fake. That quote is real. It is heartfelt. It will prevent totalitarianism. If the Jewish People in German had recognized this.... If the Chinese had recognized this... if the Cambodians... Cubans... North Koreans... had followed these rules.

Subservience is permitted. It's allowed. By the subservient. If you don't submit, it doesn't happen. There are not enough oppressors to subjugate you if you don't allow yourself to submit. They run out of secret police long before freedom-loving people run out of citizens. Unless you capitulate.

Sirhr
You need a couple boxes .22’s to make bad men turn into good men.

too many people don't know who this is.

1936_genrich_grigorijewitsch_jagoda.jpg

Reactions: tiNdvenTFHwMdqKW
The Gulag Archipelago and "man's search for meaning" by Viktor Frankl should be required reading in middle and high schools across this nation, along with a couple others.

I have that book, haven't gotten to read it yet.
20201204_173621.jpg

( No idea why the picture is uploading like that, tisbee what tisbee)

Reactions: BikePilot
The Gulag Archipelago and "man's search for meaning" by Viktor Frankl should be required reading in middle and high schools across this nation, along with a couple others.

I have that book, haven't gotten to read it yet.View attachment 7491749
( No idea why the picture is uploading like that, tisbee what tisbee)

So true, and they were for me. But I never studied in a government run indoctrination center

Sirhr
My dad suggested I read "Gulag" when I was 16 or 17. It resonated immediately but as I've watched things unfold, more so every year.

Reactions: diverdon
For all you ignorant Redneck's:
Genrikh Yagoda
1607133947175.png

Genrikh Grigoryevich Yagoda (Russian: Ге́нрих Григо́рьевич Яго́да, 7 November 1891 – 15 March 1938), (born Yenokh Gershevich Iyeguda) was a Soviet secret police official who served as director of the NKVD, the Soviet Union's security and intelligence agency, from 1934 to 1936. Appointed by Joseph Stalin, Yagoda supervised the arrest, show trials, and executions of the Old Bolsheviks Lev Kamenev and Grigory Zinoviev, climactic events of the Great Purge. Yagoda also supervised the construction of the White Sea–Baltic Canal with Naftaly Frenkel, using penal labor from the GULAG system, during which 12,000–25,000 laborers died.

Like many Soviet NKVD officers who conducted political repression, Yagoda himself ultimately became a victim of the Purge. He was demoted from the directorship of the NKVD in favor of Nikolai Yezhov in 1936 and arrested in 1937. Charged with the crimes of wrecking, espionage, Trotskyism and conspiracy, Yagoda was a defendant at the Trial of the Twenty-One, the last of the major Soviet show trials of the 1930s. Following his confession at the trial, Yagoda was found guilty and shot.

Reactions: Darayavaus
At Catholic grade school we had an assembly for all of whatever grade I was in that year, to go to the assembly area that wasn't the gym and had 'speakers' that consisted of people I had absolutely no fucking clue who they were, mainly because I had just shown up from Germany.

Later on, I found out that Ric Flair is on TV alot. Who knew. He's also much quieter in person.

Anyways, since I remembered nothing else other than he was with 4-5 other 'wrestlers' who were all no names, 2 of which were women and 1 of which I couldnt figure out if it was a guy or not. They were there to tell you to say no to drugs and that drugs are bad, mkay?

Yet the most memorable thing about this whole presentation wasn't anything the wrestlers did or said, but rather, motherfucking Steven from my class, who literally never put a coherent sentance together or did ANYTHING noticable over the 2-3 years I was in school with him, would raise his hand after everything they fucking said about doing drugs/watching people do drugs/the effect of doing drugs was to literally just casually ask 'was it pot?'.

After like the 6th time fucking Steven did this, everyone, including the wrestlers were like WTF Steven? It was uncanny and he just would keep fucking doing it. I don't know why one of them wasn't just like, 'yes Steven, it was fucking pot'.

To this day, I can't remember shit about that place, but I'm still extremely curious as to when Steven just lost his fucking mind when he got old enough to just lock himself in a room and smoke pot for a weekend straight, never to be heard from again.

Last edited:
Solzenihtsen (sp) was an artillery Capt in WWII. Went into Berlin.

Met Sakharov at a party Spaso House, Moscow.

Exactly what that meant to a 20 year old Lance Corporal was lost.

I saw that. I still have an old fashion attachment to the musty smell of old hardbacks......Though not impressive by any means, my book collection is important to me.
I miss print . I run hard for a living and Audible allows me to make the most of drive time , paper work etc .

Reactions: Holliday
I will eventually go blind, lost one eye already, so I will get there......
Feel ya brother . Def in my right ear , effed up in left eye . Feel like a Picazso on a good day . The damage we willfully do to our bodies is surprising .

Reactions: Holliday
Problem today is that anyone under 35 has no context to understand this quote.

They don’t understand that there is pure evil out there.

and suffering that can go one for decades not just 3 days of no power from a storm.

it’s our own fault for becoming so dominant and doing such a good job the last 45 years, that gives them the sense of unlimited security.

they don’t understand hunger that doesn’t go away or fear that surrounds every you every breath.

I hope they never do but like all humanity they have to learn it the hard way. Too bad that will drag us with them.

circa 1982 I had that propagandist David Toma come lie to us about how people who smoke weed go crazy and tear their own eyeballs out....part of the clown troop posse that was being dispatched by the Regan WH as they imported drugs into the US

• Sad
Reactions: Alphatreedog