• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When is enough, enough?

Magstang1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Michigan
Let me preface this by saying there is absolutely no "need" for me to buy another gun. This is purely a want.

I have been mainly a pistol shooter and have recently forayed into the ever increasingly expensive world of long guns.

I reload, and shoot reloads almost exclusively.

I have recently felt the need for a new bolt gun. I have a 5.56 AR and have been enjoying shooting longer range for accuracy. I was looking into a .308 bolt along the lines of a Remington 5r or Tikka Varmint. Since my distance is limited to 600 yards within reasonable driving distance, and most of the time it will be 200 yards, I decided to step it down to a .223 bolt.

I started looking at a Remington SPS Tactical .223. I want a fast twist, at least 9. I got a chance to play with a Tikka and fell in love. The action, the safety, grip... It all felt better than the Remington to me.

I looked at a Tikka Varmint, then a Super Varmint.

You see where this is going. I'm just punching paper. And at a rather short distance at that.

Is the $600 SPS enough? Or the $750 Varmint? Or should I do like I always do and spend $1,000 and get the most expensive option, the Super Varmint?

I need an intervention.

My name is Magstang1 and I'm a gunaholic.

Advice please.

Re: When is enough, enough?

At the end of the day if it makes u happy and it's what u want then go for it. As long as you are not gonna break your bank or regret it then oh well!! You only live once lol

Honestly, no you don't "need" the most expensive one. Take a look at what you "want" and buy the rifle that gets you the most of those things in the beginning so that your not constantly looking at upgrades and spending even more money in a month or two down the road. If your a "mod bug" and your gonna change up anything you buy regardless, then get the least expensive and use the extra cash for your modifications. No need in buying/paying for things your just gonna take off and throw away or not use atleast.

Also, this is your hobby obviously. You work hard for your money. Buy what makes you feel rewarded for your work thats within your budget.

If you really just want to make tiny groups on paper, why not look at a 6mm br. Savage has a nice offering but, it's gonna run a little extra money. Easy on the shoulder and on powder. Pushing the 105 Amax or Bergers, it's just what you're looking for.

Asked myself this question many times. I have never regretting spending that extra bit to get exactly what I wanted on a gun that will be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Since my distance is limited to 600 yards within reasonable driving distance, and most of the time it will be 200 yards, I decided to step it down to a .223 bolt.

Is the $600 SPS enough? Or the $750 Varmint? Or should I do like I always do and spend $1,000 and get the most expensive option, the Super Varmint?
</div></div>

Remember, you are going to want to change the stock on the tactical... that may swing your vote. Or, get remingtons 5R 223 that has a HS stock and 24" barrel. I have seen them locally for around 960.00

Just remember that if you shoot .223 with a 9 twist bbl, that the biggest bullet you would prob be able to use is a Sierra 69gr bullet, Berger 70gr VLD or 73gr BT. At 600 yards, unless you have a lot of velocity on the bullet, your going to get pushed around pretty hard. Your going to have your work cut out for you in the wind reading department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember that <span style="font-weight: bold">if you shoot .223 with a 9 twist bbl, that the biggest bullet you would prob be able to use is a Sierra 69gr bullet, Berger 70gr VLD or 73gr BT</span>. At 600 yards, unless you have a lot of velocity on the bullet, your going to get pushed around pretty hard. Your going to have your work cut out for you in the wind reading department. </div></div>

Not true. My SPS Tactical is a 20" tube with 1:9 and I can easily sling 75gr Hornady BTHPs out past 600. The AMAXs are another story. Some will get lucky and get a slightly faster twist that may stabilize them. I know of two shooters at my local range who this very thing happened to.

What about the Tikka T3 Sporter? I believe for the money the Tikkas are hard to beat. My experience with Tikkas is that they are a lot more true out of the box than a remington. All the Remingtons that I have had in the past required lots of truing. The Tikka comes with a pretty decent trigger, a 70 degree bolt throw, good extractor, and side bolt release. Now that KRG has the W3C chassis it makes getting a Tikka a no brainier. Also the Tikkas can be either 1:12 twist or 1:8 twist. I would opt for the 1:8 unless you think that you will primarily being shooting 55grn pills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thePerforator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember that <span style="font-weight: bold">if you shoot .223 with a 9 twist bbl, that the biggest bullet you would prob be able to use is a Sierra 69gr bullet, Berger 70gr VLD or 73gr BT</span>. At 600 yards, unless you have a lot of velocity on the bullet, your going to get pushed around pretty hard. Your going to have your work cut out for you in the wind reading department. </div></div>

Not true. My SPS Tactical is a 20" tube with 1:9 and I can easily sling 75gr Hornady BTHPs out past 600. The AMAXs are another story. Some will get lucky and get a slightly faster twist that may stabilize them. I know of two shooters at my local range who this very thing happened to. </div></div>

The word you missed is "prob", which indeed there will be some that can, but most won't.. I am not saying that all will not.. I have a friend that has a 9 twist Savage, which mesasured to a 8.5 twist and it will shoot the 75AMaxes, when the weather is hot, but once it starts to cool off, it slings them all over the place.

If I buy the Tikka it will be 8 twist.

The sporter is beyond my price range right now, but it's a sweet gun.

Just found a used Tikka Varmint for sale. Oh boy.

The only thing that worries me about Tikka is mag length. I have heard guys say that longer bullets loaded to the lands have to be single fed.

my 9 twist shoots 77gr smk's profoundly well.

What was that old slogan for MTV? "Too much is NEVER enough."

At least that's what I tell my wife when more gun stuff arrives at the house.