• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When is good enough good enough?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a vintage rifle match this coming Saturday and plan on shooting one of my Swedes. I loaded up several different charge weights of RL22 and 140gr SMKs in my 6.5x55. Someone suggested a load of 46gr so I tried it. I also stepped down in 1gr increments from 46 to 42gr. I didn't have a lot of time so I anly loaded 5 rounds of each.
When I got to the 42gr load I was surprised. I shot a group that measured 1.7". All shooting was using iron sights off sandbags front and rear at 100 yards.

My question is how much accuracy should I try for using irons? I mean is it worth it to try for better groups, or is this about what I can expect using irons and eyes almost 51 years old?
I will work on the load later but for now I need to load enough for the match. I will be using the 42gr load for now.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: When is good enough good enough?

For me, good enough is never good enough, because the pursuit of perfection is the fun in this game for me.

I could hold 1/4 MOA in field conditions all day long, and I'de find something to work on.

It should be evident that some peices of equipment can only be taken so far, things like iron sights are one of those things I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When I got to the 42gr load I was surprised. I shot a group that measured 1.7". All shooting was using iron sights off sandbags front and rear at 100 yards.

</div></div>Don't know about others but if I shot that well with irons, I'd be pretty happy.

Know what you mean about the old eyes. Mine are not what they used to be but what is? Good Luck to You

I will be sure to update after the match this Saturday. I am hoping the groups shrink a little using a good black bullseye.
The group I have using the crappy target had 2 seperated by about an inch and 3 very close together just under. I am really hoping it is from not having a good clear aimpoint.
I was also using uncorrected glasses for the first time- just to try it out. I have a slight astygmatism and, and while I have 20/20 vision I can see at a distance much clearer with my glasses. I usually wear my prescription glasses and the sights are really fuzzy. With these other glasses, just safety glasses really, the target was a little fuzzy and the sights were much better.

We will see,

Jim

Sometimes the enemy of good is perfection.