• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When Muzzleloaders Go Bad - OUCH!

G

I just ran across this one on another forum.
Let's not get into the bashing of manufacturers here without first-hand personal experiences, but the information's worth sharing.

The site is cvaguncases.com, and apparently they have quite a collection.

img003_web.jpg

bg_i725.jpg

Kohn_Kodiak.jpg

Re: When Muzzleloaders Go Bad - OUCH!

WOW, , that dude looks lucky to be alive, bet he will have one helluva flinch the rest of his shooting life,

Looks like a Luepy scope...wonder if they will honor the lifetime warranty?

"Photo of Jon's face 7 weeks post op showing scars and tattooing spots left by the composite stock fragments and the Pyrodex. Jon has 5 Titanium plates in his forehead. He has no sense of taste or smell as a result of the catastrophic failure of his CVA Kodiak"

NM looks like his shooting hobby might have been ended by this

Here's the guy from the x-ray in surgery.
Looks a little like the Terminator after a scuffle.

Erik_Z_3.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a Luepy scope...wonder if they will honor the lifetime warranty? </div></div>

Those cheap Weaver rings held pretty darned good, didn't they?

I have to wonder if this was charged with smokeless instead of black powder?

I have heard some folks add a little smokeless to get more FPS also. That looks like massive overpressure to me.

that can also happen if you use BP and don't seat the ball all teh way down

I know squat other than what I just saw in the pictures. My total guess, that may be wrong, and is not meant to disparage anyone...but I'm going with an improper load and user error on this one. Just my opinion based on jack shit -- so don't bother flaming me.

And yes, no matter what the cause, I hope he's okay.

Those are actually two different cases.
The website has many more, and their claim is that the guns are poorly constructed and dangerous under recommended use.

Man, that says it all for me just viewed the site, CVA is PHUKD, as well they should be those guys got beat the fuk up, suprised some are still alive.

Wow - the guy who belongs to that X-ray had it removed in a surgical suite that looks like a converted country kitchen- the guy wasn't even intubated and the procedure didn't look exactly "sterile".

My guess would ER procedure?
I wonder how much paperwork he had to fill out and how long he had to wait until they finished processing the regulars before he got in?

That didn't even look like an ER. Looks like the converted kitchen you see in a "country doc's house" doubling as an ER. I guess in some communities, far from a local hospital, no insurance... I cannot just imagine doing that procedure without general anesthesia - that looks barbaric.

CVA had a massive recall a few years back over this. The barrels are made by Bergara. This has been a known problem for a while now. They also make replacement barrels for T/C Encore. I would never buy anything made by either of these.

Makes me wonder if this was someone’s attempt at using smokeless powder rather than black or substitute.

I use smokeless exclusively now in my ML, but it's made for it.
Those CVA's are cheap guns, but I would be suspicious of misuse in all of these cases.
Problem is, once something like blows up, much of the evidence is gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CVA had a massive recall a few years back over this. The barrels are made by Bergara. This has been a known problem for a while now. They also make replacement barrels for T/C Encore. I would never buy anything made by either of these. </div></div>

Bergara Barrels did not exist when the recall was issued. CVA did have a recall on "some, a few" models and it was a voluntary, not mandatory recall. The gun in the first few pics was destroyed with smokeless, see how there is not any residue in the barrel and it is squeaky clean. Once smokeless is put into a muzzleloader, congrats you just made a pipe bomb. Think about this logically, there is one blogger and one site degrading CVA. Also the new Apex just won the NRA Golden Bullseye. Many other guns have also won numerous awards. If a company truly had ongoing issues with their guns, would the NRA be in support, I think not. Also CVA controls about 60% of the muzzleloading market. The recall was 13 years ago, and even though CVA was bought out in 1997 by BPI, they still honor the recall notice and replace recall guns with new ones.

There are several companies that have had recalls. I know that Smith has had a few on many revolvers, Ruger has had one on their LCP just recently, ect.

Bergara Barrels came out about 4 years ago and have not had any issues. They are also backed by Ed Shilen, and Shilen would not back something with a recall. I just got an Apex in 308 and have had no issues.

Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow - the guy who belongs to that X-ray had it removed in a surgical suite that looks like a converted country kitchen- the guy wasn't even intubated and the procedure didn't look exactly "sterile". </div></div>

I thought the same thing. I can't imagine having that procedure done under sedation.No reason not to be intubated to protect his airway.

Exactly what piece of that gun is stuck in homeboys grill???? OUCH!

-Pat

Looks like the breech plug and a spring from the trigger or hinge area. The breech plug is a little shorter than the size of a 2 3/4" 12ga shell, all steel. Not fun!

That's the bolt and the mainspring.

thats one reason why i'm leary of muzzleloaders...i know the same could happen with a bolt gun but i personally don't use muzzleloaders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a Luepy scope...wonder if they will honor the lifetime warranty? </div></div>

Amazingly, his lifetime continues so I think so. They should out of pity at the very least.

Due to my state of residence I have a lot more experience with MLs than centerfire.

The CVA that produced the recalls and blown barrels went bankrupt as a result; the current company is the same in name only. Bergera was in no way associated with these incidents, they were not making barrels for CVA back then.

MLs are generally as safe as any gun and with regards to mis-charging, a lot more foregiving. But there are a number of operator errors that could easily have resulted in these pictures:
1) leaving the ramrod in the barrel and firing (scarily common)
2) smokeless powder
3) double-loading (more common than you would think)
4) not fully seating the bullet (also common)

Without more information, there is NO WAY you can decide what happened in these cases. I abused a ML of cheaper construction than a current CVA (Traditions) with some experimentation with no ill effects to the gun.

I've seen pics of blown Savages and T/C guns as well, but CVA is where the urban legend is at due to the history.