• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When selecting a range.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Hey guys, I figured this is the best place to put this.

I'm getting my first bolt-action rifle tomorrow, and I'm totally new to precision shooting. I don't have any long range ranges near me I don't think, so I'm going to have to go out into the desert and shoot.

So I'm wondering, what does one look for when selecting a range for this kind of shooting? Apart from the obvious like making sure there's nothing beyond where you're shooting, is there anything else I need to take note on?

Thanks.

Edit: I'm not necessarily talking about 1000yards though.

Re: When selecting a range.

If you can get some kind of berm to put your target on so that you can spot a miss. It helps significantly. Of course, all other safety features apply.

Lots of stuff. Do you want to start shooting with wind, or without? ENV is important if you want to check the performance of your reloads and or factory ammo. Look for a spot that won't put light into your eyes and give the least mirage. Bring lots of water. Brings lots of note paper to record your results. Take pictures of conditions, targets etc. Bring mats, blankets etc unless you are shooting from a bench. If you are shooting 1,000 a good idea is to bring an quad or ATV. At least a mountain bike.

You need to find out the rules that the Forest Service or BLM or State has on the land you will be shooting on. Call and get the rules and a map of the area.

You absoulutely need a berm or hill that will stop your bullets. If you are indoubt about if they are stopping (bullets can skip on hard ground or if its not steep enough), put a second target 30' behind your target and see if they are bouncing off the dirt and continuing, or are they stopping? Having snow this time of year helps, you can see the bullet marks and any skips in the snow.

Ok, targets. You need targets that work and are legal (some of the agencies have rules about targets, they want them made out of cardboard not plastic). Anyway plan on spending some money on targets. Go to Home Depot and get some of the Garage Sale yard signs for starters. Also look at the cardboard box section if the agency requires cardboard. DON'T LEAVE ANY TARGETS BEHIND, WHATEVER YOU DO! And don't shoot anything like old junk you want to get rid of. Buy some stick on target bullseys and take some tape so you can tape over the holes. Bring some 1x2 stakes and a hammer to pound them in with. Bring some duct tape. An NRA 1000 yard target is 6'x6'. That would be nice but if you can't get a target that big (and they blow around a lot) at least get one as big as possible. I have used 4'x4' held with 1x2" stakes with good success so long as the wind isn't over 10mph it works.

Another good target is a 10" (or bigger) steel plate target. Bring a spray can and spray it so you can have a fresh painted surface again.

The ideal shooting area would have a jeep road paralleling you can shoot parallel to the road (not over the road or from the road) at any distance you want and drive to check your targets (it takes a LONG time to walk 1000 yards and back, its over a mile). It would also have good visibility and very low probability of disturbing others or having other people inadvertently walking into the area.

Just duplicate what you see at an existing range that you have been to. One of the most important things obviously is backstop and the ground in front and behind the targets, see sniperaviator's post. I was at a range recently, they have both a 50 yard berm and another berm for 100 to 300 yards. Someone at the 50 yards hit the ground and the bullet went over a 25 foot berm and landed on the metal covering at the 300 yard shooting line. You could hear the bullet whining as it came over the berm and hit the metal roof.

Find an area where there a not many crosswinds, and where you can expand the range from 25 to 1,000 yards by simply moving your target system. Then you can test ammo and shoot other weapons.

Next build a target system that you can fold up and carry with you so you can use it over again. You can make it out of simple wood frame to hold cardboard targets.

Depending on the type of weather you encounter, the duration of your shoot, and if it can be a permanent structure, I would bring something to shade you from sun and rain, or keep you warm in cold weather, etc.

If you can find a place to shoot, you can make it as nice as you want or you can just set up a target with a good backdrop and start shooting.

A little preparation in the garage and scouting of areas is all it takes.

speaking of mats as mechanic stated. i saw a great article in last issue of very high power. guy got a rug to take out to the range to shoot off of. works GREAT no wind blown tarp crap. kills muzzle blast on dusty ground. one of those DUH things and you can find em for cheap , send the wife out on a treasure hunt for the rug

For steel swingers, go to the hardware store, have them cut some steel pipe in x length (4 pieces) thread one end of each pipe. Then get a (2)3 sided elbowS, screw pipes into those, then another piece across, chain for the steel target. Walla, you have portable steel, that is easy to move around. you can make it as tall as you want, hang as many sized targets as you want, completly portable. One thing I would add, no one has mentioned, that is almost imperative, something to measure your distances with, a lrf would be optimal, but some type of gps system will work too. Then you can practice ranging your targets throgh your scope and confirm with the lrf.