• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When to discard brass

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just started reloading and was tumbling some .223 brass and was checking thru them for cracks,splits,dents etc. I see alot of small dents here and there in cases (size of a pen tip or smaller) and was wondering are they junk? Dont bother to reload them or are they ok? If I see any dents large or very small on the shoulder I discard them. But what about on the shaft of the case?

Re: When to discard brass

the small dent's are no problem. If the primer pockets are good, no insipient head seperation is found, and the necks are not cracked load them up.

Ignore the dents, they will blow back out when fired, it's part of the fireforming process.

Brass needs to be retired when at least one of several conditions appear. The first one is harder to find, it is the internal ring-groove that appears where the case wall thins out to sidewall thickness just above (about 1/4" above with .223) the extraction groove. You find it with a feeler made of wire with a short (1/8") right angle bent into the tip. Cases with such a groove are DRT (Donefor Right There), the groove is the Imminent Precursor to a Case Head Separation.

As brass gets fired/resized, fired/resized, etc., etc., the brass gets worked back and forth, especially in the neck. This hardens (called work hardening) it making it too brittle to stand up to the natural expansion and contraction that occurs during firing. Eventually the necks split and the case needs to get tossed. When this is getting ready to happen, you will note increased resistance to the neck sizer ball, and more required force when seating bullets. This resistance indicates increased work hardness, which can also mess with neck tension and degrade accuracy. This can be 'reset' by annealing the necks. I don't anneal, so when a few cases from a lot split, I retire the rest of the cases by loading them up with a hunting load for one last cycle.

Finally, as cases get fired, especially with 'warmer' loads, primer pockets tend to expand. Eventually, the same work hardening process will defeat their ability to contract back down to normal diameter, and primers will not seat with enough resistance to function properly. When primers 'fall' into the pocket, they are usually too loose, and may even fall back out when the case is picked up. This is usually the death knell for cases, but there are some aftermarket processes which can be employed to swage the primer pocket back to a useful diameter. Never, never, never, ever, ever, ever anneal case bases; 'bad things' will happen.

Greg

You save alot of typing greg!!! I agree with you 100% on the annealing heads. One of my friends was messing with a liquid annealing and left them in to long. He had belted cases next time he tried them...

If the dents have a real crease, give them a hard look. Most smaller, less deep dents are usually good to load again.