• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When to get a weather station?

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
I'm just getting started in long range shooting with a rem 5r .308.
My question is: At what point in my progression should I consider getting a kestrel for wind and air density tracking? Should I get one up front and start logging the data and learn to use it with my ballistic calculator as I go or would I be better off sticking with shorter ranges at first while practicing the marksmanship fundamentals I've read about in the getting started stickies?
Sorry if this has been hashed over many times. I may have not used the correct search terms. I'm not even sure if this is the best way to phrase my question. Direct answers or links to relevant threads on this subject would be appreciated.

Re: When to get a weather station?

The closest range to me is 300 yards, probably not enough to worry about I'm guessing but I'll have periodic access to a place to shoot out to 500 and a 1000 yard range for benchrest.

I plan on getting a data book and a LRF soon and I'm going to take a trip back home and try my hand at shooting some steel out to about 525 yards. I'll also have a chance to spend some time at a 1000 yard range at varying distances with some BR shooters. I'm hoping I can at least get on paper at some of the longer targets.
I have the Ballistic FTE program for iPhone and have been playing with it trying to learn how to use it. I just wondered if it would be much more helpful to get my weather readings myself and input them into the software or rely on it's auto function which won't be able to account for the wind at my actual shooting position.
Or am I just getting too far ahead of myself?

You're on the right track wanting to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, but...

I don't think you can be "too early" in buying a weather meter and logging your data in a proper data book. It's not all about perfect atmospheric data. While that's important, I believe it's more about the wind calls. You're not going to see too much deviation at 300, but you'll see it and learning to recognize what a xx mph wind looks like will pay dividends later down the road. Learn from the start how to call wind accurately for real downrange success.

If you still want to hold off on getting the weather meter, you can at least document your DA pretty closely by using a simple cheap thermometer and matching it to some charts/formulas or to your local weather station info you can get from the internet. For more details on how to do that, go to Lindy's site here: Manual Calculation of Density Altitude. It's definitely better than nothing and your temperature shift throughout the day has a much greater effect to your DA than the small change in barometric pressure or humidity does.

I would look at getting one when you have the funds avalible but a good one can cost a decent amount.

One thing to look at is if there is an airport near your shooting range within a couple of miles as they have weather stations that track a lot of the things you need you can also use apps for your phone the shooter ballistic calculator uses location service to figure out where you are and pulls the best weather data it can for you and I have found that to be relatively accurate.

Not sure if I have taken this out of context but I think it has been best summed up by Redmanss. . I'm also new to the long range precision shooting sport and I often wonder what my next purchase should be.
I don't wish to become too reliant upon technology as my marksmanship skills are still at an average level.

Will the kestrel initially hinder learning for a beginner? I'm guessing not.

Having a Kestrel should play no role in marksmanship "fundamentals". I usually break my shooting down to four catagories. 1. Data collection. Gather all you know data you can. This is where the Kestrel would fit in to the equasion. 2. Apply you dope based off of your known data gathered. 3. Apply your fundamentals of marksmanship to accurately engage the target. 4. Assess your shot and collect your findings based off the data and dope applied to the gun. Each one of these steps has a task list along with it which will vary from shooter to shootr. For the most part shooters usually follow something similar to the above catagories in order. Is a Keatrel a must? NO, but it is an enabler and will aid the shooter in ellevating a few more variables.

I just ordered a 2500NV, but I am a cheap ass. It measures windspeed, temperature, and barometric pressure (and altitude, which is measured off of baro. pressure).

Does not do humidity, Density altitude, heading, and some other features that the more expensive models have (programming, graphs etc..).

I probably should have done more research before I bought it to be honest, because I'm just assuming that all I really need is temp and barometric pressure. Wind speed is a nice plus, though I just "wing it" based on what I feel and see, and that's worked fine for me thus far. Humidity is a small concern where I shoot, and really has a small effect regardless, and I haven't read up on what density altitude is
smile.gif

I'm looking for a wind meter also, looking on Amazon they have another brand called Ambient Weather. Its offers some additional features, one being humidity which the Kestral doesn't until you spend a lot more money. It carries a 2 yr warranty and Amazon is liberal on their return policy, I think I'll give it a try.

Since I use MD Ballistics app on my iPhone, after I input my location it uses the internet connection to download the weather data and input it in the calculation as I'm using the software.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the recommended Kestrel model? </div></div>

I use a 4500NV thanks to an unexpected windfall at the time I was shopping, but I probably use the same data from it that ledzep will gain from his "cheap" model.

I'm just starting to use DA, it might be something you'll want to have down the road. I think I'd be hard-pressed to recommend something with as many features as the 4500NV, though. Find something in the middle and spend the difference on ammunition.

I also use the kestrel 4500 nv ..... Fundamentals are always Important but with technology the way it is today I would 100% get a meter and start learning how your gun shoots in different conditions and tracking and recording from there because you do not want to have to rely on the meter but the more you use it the better you will get at judging atmosphere conditions. Places in Arizona the da can change unto 2000ft a day and more which at those long range shots can make it or break it. Yea 500 yard shots are not gonna be as crucial as the 1200 yard shots but my opion get one when you can afford it. It's just another tool for the bag and practice those long range shots until you get all your dope perfect sticking with 300 yard shots isn't a bad thing but try ur ballistic computer out further and make sure the gun and program is still on the same page....

i have the kestrel 3500 and love it easy to use and is a great tool to have when starting to shoot long range, helps you learn how to read the wind with grass and leaves and trees and then check your meter to get an idea, wind is the hardest thing for me to judge when shooting long range. Good investment.