• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

when to trim cases?

bullfisher

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
So I thought I new enough about reloading to make perfect ammo. But after reading all the stickys from tresmon, I'm a little confused. Should I still be trimming my cases to book length?

Re: when to trim cases?

You have 2 options. You can measure your chamber dimension and trim your brass when it comes within a few thousandths of that. Or you can trim to the "trim to" length and let the brass grow until it reaches the max length (usually .01" longer than the "trim to" length), then trim them back again. In my experience, case length variation isn't all that important, as long as your shoulders are bumped consistently.

i suggest you get a chamber plug to measure your chamber

mine is almost 2.05. so i dont have to trim my brass for a VERY long time

after 3 firings my brass is only at 2.012

I trim my 06 brass alittle short for my garand and by the time its to long its in the junk bucket

Aren't I bumping back the shoulder by full length resizing?

Yes full length sizing bumps the sholder back. I trim my brass to book spec & trim it back to that when they are close to book max length.

Thanks fellas, sometimes info gets lost when I'm shoehorning that much info into my melon
crazy.gif

Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part. What I meant to say was that bump length consistency is fairly important, but trim length consistency is not so much.

Please advise on the "chamber plug" and where I can aquire one. I'm trimming my brass to "book" length everytime. Thanks.

You can also get a Wilson case gauge for the caliber you are shooting. It has no moving parts, it will tell you if your shoulder is at saami length and if the brass is too long. You can use with a caliper to check your fired brass vs sized brass to get the correct bump. Just plop the case in and get a quick visual indication. I use them for my hunting cartridges, and an RCBS precision mic for my 308 field/target stuff.