• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When to tumble?

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
Just got a Lyman 1200 and the instruction manual isn't clear. Do I tumble prior to brass prep and then again after brass prep....or.... tumble post brass prep and then again once primer, powder and bullet is seated and round is ready to be fired. Is is OK to tumble ready to fire ammo? I'll use their media till I get this figured out, then upgrade to SS.

Re: When to tumble?

Many folks have their set ways of tumbling. Here is mine:

After a range trip, the spent brass is tumbled with coarse walnut media ( bird bedding from petco), this will remove the residue and dirt from dropped brass.

Then I deprime, lube and size,

Next I tumble again with fine walnut (lizard bedding from petco), to remove the lube and a final shine to the brass.

I like the brass to shine a bit, but more than anything it removes the carbon deposits and extends the life of my dies and keeps the crud off my hands and bench area.

I prefer the fine walnut over corncob for final tumbling, because corn always gets stuck in the flash holes, I have not had fine walnut get stuck as of yet.

I do not tumble loaded ammo, if I really feel retentive about the aesthetics of the loaded ammo, a quick once over with 0000 steel wool will remove anything.

Have fun, I have a Lyman as well and it is great.

First off, NEVER tumble loaded ammo. You are really asking for trouble doing this, the dangers are many:

1. Possible (unlikely) that a bullet could strike a primer and set it off
2. Static build up of bits of powder rubbing on each other - thus setting the powder off
3. Bits of powder breaking up into smaller pieces, thus changing the burn rate of the powder charge - potentially blowing up the gun

That said, I use the stainless tumbling media now, but WHEN I tumble hasn't changed since I used a vibratory unit.

After the range, I use a decap-only die to remove primer - no sizing. I don't ever want to run dirty/carbon'ed up brass into my dies.

Afer decapping, I tumble brass then dry. For NS only, I setup my cases into a loading block, and apply a slight amount of Lanolin/Alcohol lube to the case neck, then resize. For FLS, well - I lube the all of the cases up fully. After sizing, tumble again. Then load.

As for case prep - I prep clean cases, then I clean prepped cases. I've found the stainless media "peens" the case mouth a bit, and therefore I need to re-touch the chamfer on the case mouth with my VLD tool after tumbling.

This is very helpful, thanks. I didn't think it was a good idea to tumble loaded ammo, but the Lyman Manual isn't clear on this. In fact, the way they state it, it would lead the novice to tumble after loading. Very poorly written. Glad I asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many folks have their set ways of tumbling. Here is mine:

After a range trip, the spent brass is tumbled with coarse walnut media ( bird bedding from petco), this will remove the residue and dirt from dropped brass.

Then I deprime, lube and size,

Next I tumble again with fine walnut (lizard bedding from petco), to remove the lube and a final shine to the brass.

I like the brass to shine a bit, but more than anything it removes the carbon deposits and extends the life of my dies and keeps the crud off my hands and bench area.

I prefer the fine walnut over corncob for final tumbling, because corn always gets stuck in the flash holes, I have not had fine walnut get stuck as of yet.

I do not tumble loaded ammo, if I really feel retentive about the aesthetics of the loaded ammo, a quick once over with 0000 steel wool will remove anything.

Have fun, I have a Lyman as well and it is great.
</div></div>

I do about the exact same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laser1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll use their media till I get this figured out, then upgrade to SS. </div></div>

If you're planning on upgrading to the stainless steel system in the Lyman 1200 tumbler you're outta luck. It's meant to be used wet in a rotary type tumbler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laser1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like no tumbling after primers are seated. </div></div>
Yes, No Tumbling Live Primers or Ammo. Unless it's July 4th and you are out of fireworks. But, do it in an open area and stand waaaay back.
grin.gif
Be Safe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, NEVER tumble loaded ammo. You are really asking for trouble doing this, the dangers are many:

1. Possible (unlikely) that a bullet could strike a primer and set it off
2. Static build up of bits of powder rubbing on each other - thus setting the powder off
3. Bits of powder breaking up into smaller pieces, thus changing the burn rate of the powder charge - potentially blowing up the gun

</div></div>

Interesting, I know for a fact that Hornady post tumbles all their loaded rounds. Haven't you ever found a piece of corn cob media stuck in a hollow point of a bullet factory loaded by Hornady? I have been tumbling my loaded rounds for over a year now with zero adverse effects. If you are running loads with a full case of powder like I am, then the powder does not move around in the case and won't break apart. I admit that I was a little weary of the idea at first, I was most worried about the OAL of the rounds changing while they were moving around in the tumbler. But I tumbled a load of 50 rounds for the first time and measured every single one as they came out of the tumbler and not one had changed length. Tumbling the rounds after they are loaded give everything a very nice clean look. In fact, after my rounds are loaded and come of the vibratory tumbler, I always use gloves to handle them and they are never touched by bare hands until they are put in the chamber. I have actually gotten comments at the range on how nice my ammo looks.

I see guys at my club shoot really small groups, they clean there necks with OOOO steel wool and/or a Krazy Klothe, load and shoot more really small groups, I now do the samething with the exception of on my 3rd firing I use SS media then I anneal my brass. We all need to shoot more, so anything that is not hurting group sizes or hits on targets is a waste of time n money, brass doesn't need to be spotless, Impearial comes right off with a rag and Acetone or Denatured Alcohol, it may be more manual labor but me and my ugly brass are off to the range.

I have a Turbo Vibrater that cleans my Brass and have vibrated them loaded for 40 years and never have had one go bang yet.

Do what makes you feel good. But I bet no one can tell you they have actually had one go off in the Tumblers, all they have is suspicion that it is a bad move.

I don't want to hear the story from my Sisters friends homeless Aunt's preganant Dog that they heard one went off either.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tumbling live ammo.

I've never had a problem tumbling loaded ammo and I do it all the time and have for years. I understand the school of thought on not doing so - but this is the internet - so you get 50/50 split on opinions about most topics.

No matter how you look at it, you're going to have to tumble rifle ammo twice - once to clean it from the previous firing - and again to remove the lube. Some will tumble the second time after sizing; others after completing the loaded round. Neither way is right or wrong - just different.

The primer paranoia crowd doesn't like Dillon progressive presses either. They claim the design of the priming stage is unsafe. But of course people have loaded millions of rounds without a mishap with Dillon presses.

I tumble fired brass before I lube and size just to make sure there's nothing on it. Most of the brass is mine that I just shot but some of it is older pick up, either way there is a possability of sand, grit, or mud. We get a lot of PMC brass left on the range. Works good for 100 yard reduced targets.

I tumble before I size then run ultrasonic after size/deprime/trim. I'm not to concerned with shiny brass but I don't get media in the flash hole after I deprime that way. Get's most of the stuff out of the primer pocket and removes all the lube.

First thing i do after getting home is tumble.
Then I wash in hot soapy water.
I use compressed air to aid in drying.
Then I go thru the inspection process.
And then away we go.