• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When to use heavier bullets?

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
I could have put this many places but the question comes from a reloaders perspective. In 6.5cm everyone wants to use the 130-140ish grain bullets. But what about short barrel? 14.5-16" shooting a 120gr 200fps faster? When will lighter bullets take the advantage?

This thread needs more context. Why would you ever want such a rifle?

The high-level answer to your question is 'survivorship bias', whic is to say, short barreled Creedmoors are an evolutionary dead end. Therefore, the components that may be a good idea for short barreled Creedmoors, are an evolutionary dead end. Hence, you don't see them in the wild all that much..

The "main selling" point fo 6,5Cm lies in the fact that (cheap) 140 HPBTs are the ballistic equal of (expensive) 6mm rounds (both have g7 of .285-ish).

Thus, they performa comparably, provided you get them shooting fast enough (compare with 2750 and up MV of the 6BR running 105 hybrids).

As a practical matter, this means you need at least 2600 fps from a 140. This means you need at least 18in bbl.

Keep in mind, with enough money, and low-enough standards of performance, or inconvenience, you can make anything "work". I'm just passing on information about where the market seems to have settled.

The 308win is typically considered a better set of tradeoffs in <=16in barrels.

This thread needs more context. Why would you ever want such a rifle?

The high-level answer to your question is 'survivorship bias', whic is to say, short barreled Creedmoors are an evolutionary dead end. Therefore, the components that may be a good idea for short barreled Creedmoors, are an evolutionary dead end. Hence, you don't see them in the wild all that much..

The "main selling" point fo 6,5Cm lies in the fact that (cheap) 140 HPBTs are the ballistic equal of (expensive) 6mm rounds (both have g7 of .285-ish).

Thus, they performa comparably, provided you get them shooting fast enough (compare with 2750 and up MV of the 6BR running 105 hybrids).

As a practical matter, this means you need at least 2600 fps from a 140. This means you need at least 18in bbl.

Keep in mind, with enough money, and low-enough standards of performance, or inconvenience, you can make anything "work". I'm just passing on information about where the market seems to have settled.

The 308win is typically considered a better set of tradeoffs in <=16in barrels.
You’re the first one I've seen articulate the “main selling point” in such a way.