• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When will the M40A1 be "Vintage?"

JaneDoe

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Ashland, VA
Not that I want to read about a rifle I carried in the "Vintage Sniper Rifles" section but just wondering what is vintage and what isn't.

I'd argue the M40A1 and Unertl scope was the first modern sniper system so it will take a huge leap in technology to move it to this section.

So, what makes a vintage rifle?

Re: When will the M40A1 be "Vintage?"

Depends what you are talking about...clothes, wine, cars, watches....

But most say the term "vintage" can be applied to anything over 20-25years old.

So, if you accept that criteria applies to rifles too, your M40A1 will be well into "vintage" territory by now:

- Procurement for the components for the first M40A1's started in mid-'76.
- Official CMC Letter of Adoption and Procurement is dated 29th June 1977.
- Specs for the Unertl x10 were laid down in 1978, with first deliveries in 1979.

Makes you feel old, doesn't it?
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd argue the M40A1 and Unertl scope was the first modern sniper system so it will take a huge leap in technology to move it to this section. </div></div>

Hmmm....not really sure I'd agree with that. It's still a modified hunting rifle...and lacks modern day SWS basics like a raised cheekpiece or DBM. Even the Enfield No4T had those back in the early '40's.

As for the x10...although more compact and with better magnification than previous offerings from Unertl...the British,Russians and Germans had enclosed windage and elevation turrets back in the 1930's/40's when Unertl was still using separate external adjusters and a big bedspring on the outside of the tube for recoil management.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd argue the M40A1 and Unertl scope was the first modern sniper system so it will take a huge leap in technology to move it to this section.

So, what makes a vintage rifle?</div></div>

I don't believe that the M40A1 is vintage based on a measure of effictiveness or obsolescence.

Remington 700's and McM stocks are still go-to's for custom builders; however, I will say that an Unertl 10x is a vintage optic.

Gun building hasn't changed much. Although automation has taken some of the leg work out, it still takes a craftsman to put together an accurate rifle.

Optics have changed dramatically over the past 40 years. We've come a long way from 1" tubes with wire crosshairs.

I'm probably a lot younger than most guys on here, and I heard RATM and STP on the local classic rock station. That was a punch to the gut.

Depends what you consider vintage.

I think of "vintage" as in shooting CMP Vintage Milieary Rifle Games so that puts them Korean War and earlier.

Leaves the M-40 out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't believe that the M40A1 is vintage based on a measure of effictiveness or obsolescence. </div></div>

That pretty much counts a LOT of so-called "vintage" rifles back in.

Apart from perhaps the current military acceptance of the calibres used or widespread commercial availability of reloading components, a lot of "precision" rifles going back as far as the '30's are still very effective at their primary purpose and can hold their own very well in more modern (and expensive) company.

"Vintage" doesn't and shouldn't be taken as implying "can't hit the side of a barn at 50 feet!"
wink.gif

About 10 years after the M40
smile.gif