• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When Working Up a New Load.... (Varying Powder Charges)

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
In the past, when working up a load, I always went in 0.3gr increments.

How big of a jump do you use when varying powder charge, and why did you choose it?

Thanks!

bruddah,

0.3 for .223 size cases, 0.5 for 308 or 30-06 cases, 1.0 for magnums. Four groups of five shots will usually give you an idea as to where an accuracy node might live. It works for me, especially when starting with lighter charges and working up.

HTH,
DocB

I say with smaller calibers (223/308) once you get close, check both ways in .01gr increments. At that point, I don't trust shooting at 100 yards. 200 yards at least.

In the past, when working up a load, I always went in 0.3gr increments.

How big of a jump do you use when varying powder charge, and why did you choose it?

Thanks!

If you have not read the OCW procedure by Dan Newberry, you should. It will answer all your questions about charge weight. Dan even shows up here frequently to help folks diagnose their OCW results.

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

I believe that if you start out your load development with very small increments, you are gonna get too much ambiguous data, and waste components. Say you were looking for a good resilient charge weight for varget in a 308. Ideally I would try 42 - 46 gr in the largest increments I could get away with. Maybe a bit less than 1 gr increments for that charge wt. Then when you get a decent group, work bilaterally from that charge wt in .3 increments until you get one that is money.
Personally, ocw tests didn't really work all that great for me. I think the old fashioned ladder test is quicker and easier to interpret.