• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where are all the Sig MCXs and MPXs?

LRSHOOTER0311

Green Eyed Devil
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
So, I just bought a Sig MCX Virtus 11.5" 5.56, which took some searching in itself. I wanted to pick up a caliber X-Change kit, the 9" .300 BLK. Problem is... I have looked EVERYWHERE for a kit and it is nowhere to be found and the places I've seen have them say they are discontinued, I'm not sure if this is for the 1st gens or the Virtus models... I also got the urge to pickup an MPX in the 8" varient (which I don't think Sig even makes anymore now), so I looked for their 'new' 4.5" version which is nowhere to be found either. Then they come out with this new copperhead which is not my cup-o-tea. Can someone in the know fill me in on what's going on with the ever changing product line?

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
In my safe.

I got 3.... an 8 5" MCX 300BLK.... an MPX 16" 9mm ... and a MCX 5.56...

20190507_205608.jpg

I got the same problem. I want to SBR the MPX.

Called Sig. They dont sell just the "uppers" anymore.

Reactions: LRSHOOTER0311

That's what I'm worried about with getting into the Sig platforms. I want to buy into the 'weapon system', But if I can't find things as simple as hand guards, barrels, and other parts, then I'm essentially stuck with a weapon that promises modularity but can't deliver. A big part or allure to the MCX is configurations and fast barrel swaps, but nothing is available. I'm just concerned that the MCX is going to turn into another Masada/Magpul/Remington ACR.

Midwest Gun Works...

Midwest Gun Works...

I ran across them. They do not have the .300 BLK kits or MPX stuff I referenced above. They do have a good bit of parts though, alot more than anyone else. I'm just worried about buying into an expensive system that doesn't have a wide variety. I know the AR platform has been around forever and market dictates, I just love the platform and wish it was there lol

Reactions: GetReal
The 300 blackout kits caliber exchange kits have never been available, pure vapor ware

MCX is sort of frustrating, but a pretty good system if you take the time to understand it. Sig has made a lot of (good) updates to mature the system and gets a lot of hate for all the changes, but it's not hard to follow and easy to avoid buying the wrong stuff.

So, I just bought a Sig MCX Virtus 11.5" 5.56, which took some searching in itself. I wanted to pick up a caliber X-Change kit, the 9" .300 BLK. Problem is... I have looked EVERYWHERE for a kit and it is nowhere to be found and the places I've seen have them say they are discontinued, I'm not sure if this is for the 1st gens or the Virtus models... I also got the urge to pickup an MPX in the 8" varient (which I don't think Sig even makes anymore now), so I looked for their 'new' 4.5" version which is nowhere to be found either. Then they come out with this new copperhead which is not my cup-o-tea. Can someone in the know fill me in on what's going on with the ever changing product line?

Couple things are confusing about the MCX. It has undergone a number of revisions but can be oversimplified into three civilian product lines:

-Gen 1/1.5 "Legacy." Recognized most easily by the pencil profile barrel and longer top receiver rail. Gen 1 had the first pattern (square lug) bolt that looked a lot like an AR15 without the tail. They also have a neat tensioning plunger in the lower to hold the upper on tightly. Sig did a an upgrade program on these where they replaced the bolt/barrel/carrier/charging handle to "Gen 1.5" which had a rounded lug bolt and new safety bar on the carrier. NOTE Gen 1.5 ended compatibility with most aftermarket AR15 triggers not made specifically for MCX. You'll occasionally see "G" marked carriers that are compatible with Geissele AR15 triggers.

-Virtus (current). Flagship product line. Probably called the "Virtus" to separate it from the previous MCX line as a lot of it is not compatible. Barrel profile became heavier and gas system length changed a little. Upper receiver rail is shorter. All bolts are the current "tapered, rounded lug" pattern. Tensioning plunger deleted. I think also some profile changes on the receivers.

-Rattler (current). Virtus-type bolt and will accept virtus barrels, but at least the gas system and recoil assembly are different. People complain about this, but I do not see any way they could have gotten the rattler as small as it is without reducing stuff. This was designed specifically for a contract solicitation and it seems that Sig is amortizing the cost a bit by offering it on the commercial market.

Compatibility notes:

-Gen 1, Virtus, and Rattler rails are all different and they won't fit each other. Pay attention to what you buy.

-Gen 1/1.5 bolts and barrels cannot be used with a rattler/virtus bolt/barrel as they won't fit the receiver extension. If you're going to put a virtus barrel on a legacy gun, or vice versa, you'll need the right bolt for it, too. Somewhere there is a picture of all three side by side.

- Gen 1, Virtus, and Rattler gas system lengths are all different. Virtus barrels can be used on Gen 1 rifles, and vice versa as long as you have the right bolt, but the gas port switches will not line up exactly with the holes in the receiver.

I'm just concerned that the MCX is going to turn into another Masada/Magpul/Remington ACR.

At this point, highly unlikely this is going to happen. A lot of military and LE organizations (here and internationally) have adopted the MCX in some form or another. I think this may be partially to blame for the availability problem. I'd say the MCX is here to stay.

The 300 blackout kits caliber exchange kits have never been available, pure vapor ware

I've had three in the last two years, they are around and you may have to backorder.

Have you seen the Gear Head Works Tailhook? I really wanted to keep mine in Pistol form for travels across state lines. A company called Custom Smith Mfg. makes the host to mount the Tailhook to the MPK. It’s the route I went and I’d never consider SBRing it now.

The MPX / MCX is just an adult form of the AR15. I hope its around at least as long as I'm around. :)

It’s seriously up there in my top 3 (maybe too 5) firearm! I freaking love my MPX-K, anyone considering one you’ll love it.

The AR configuration makes it in my opinion the best PCC.

Compatibility notes:

-Gen 1, Virtus, and Rattler rails are all different and they won't fit each other. Pay attention to what you buy.

-Gen 1/1.5 bolts and barrels cannot be used with a rattler/virtus bolt/barrel as they won't fit the receiver extension. If you're going to put a virtus barrel on a legacy gun, or vice versa, you'll need the right bolt for it, too. Somewhere there is a picture of all three side by side.

- Gen 1, Virtus, and Rattler gas system lengths are all different. Virtus barrels can be used on Gen 1 rifles, and vice versa as long as you have the right bolt, but the gas port switches will not line up exactly with the holes in the receiver.

re: compatibility....HUGE issue. Thanx for this info.

I called Sig and they said there should be no compatibility issues btwen Gen2 and Gen 3 uppers / lowers / barrels.

I believe I got a Gen 3 9mm MPX and am looking at a Gen 2 barrel / piston kit to SBR my Gen 3 MPX.

Does that sound right, to you? (re: compatibility)

Last edited:
I got a full-on SBR'd CZ Skorpion which I love but this MPX is just better. Smoother, cleaner, better shooter.

So there’s really no such thing as a Gen 3. But that’s what a lot of people are calling the MPX with factory Timney trigger and Mlok handguard. Other than that everything is Gen 2. If your looking for different barrel lengths for an MPX check out Robert Otte at In Lead We Trust. He’s the man to chat with about Sig MPX. He’s even made .357 barrels for them.

https://inleadwetrust.com/product-category/parts-for-mpx/

I shouldn’t say other than that everything's Gen 2. There are more changes than just the trigger and hand guard, like the steel pins for charging handle catch and a couple other small tweaks to the buffer system... It could be justifiable to call it Gen 3. It’s just Sig still calls it part of Gen 2 family.

I’d really focus on getting the latest version of the MPX-K 4.5” and if you really wanted a longer barrel (the 4.5 is stupid accurate) you can order custom barrel lengths from In Lead We Trust (link above). Are you going to suppress it, because the 4.5” is great you can grab a longer handguard and tuck it in there like a integrally suppressed version. That shop sells 4.5”, 6”, 8” and 16” barrels for them.

Lots of cool handguard options, I personally like the setup as they come but I hated the spinning pistol brace so I swapped to a Tailhook. I agree I’d pass on the Cooperhead too. The 4.5 is really versatile and I find this pistol in a Vertx backpack seems to always be with me. I have it in a small commuter pack like all the millennials use on their bike rides in the cities.

FFD1F067-C25A-4153-BE69-0AB045ADD9FF.jpegBB0862BE-3360-47AA-B702-940F1E8761FB.jpegDD9FF74D-22F5-4500-9E73-C488E262E15F.jpeg

Nice ... similar setup to mine, except I've NEVER been able to get the Silencerco Osprey to stop rotating after 20 or so rounds. Have you?
Ya I’ve never heard of an issue like that... Sorry to hear your having that problem I love the Osprey on this setup. Do you have the XL size piston so you can utilize all the threads and get it good’n tight?

The MCX and MPX accessory barrels have always been very hard to come by. You see more on the used market on barfcum than you do new from dealers it seems, especially for the MPX.

Have you seen the Gear Head Works Tailhook? I really wanted to keep mine in Pistol form for travels across state lines. A company called Custom Smith Mfg. makes the host to mount the Tailhook to the MPK. It’s the route I went and I’d never consider SBRing it now.

Checkout their new Mod 1 C Tailhook. It is slimmer and lighter than the standard one and equates to the same profile as a standard stock.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
The problem with Sig is the constant changes and releasing platforms before they are tested, the early Gen 2 MPX was a nitemare for many starting out. However, the bigger problem is not incremental changes, it's the fact Sig tends to make these changes non-backwards compatible, leaving owners of models even less than a year old out in the cold for parts/accessories , and SIg is not great about having parts available, and for older generations they may not have any parts (such as early Gen 2 guns, which now have to be sent back to Sig for eval/repair/replacement) so there's the downtime issue. There are a ton of changes inside the "Gen 2" that aren't really well documented, Robert's posts from ILWT are worth reading. He's shown at least 3 different versions of barrel feed ramp/extension setups across Gen 2 guns, and stated there are even more he didn't how, and tons of other changes. The Uppers between the Gen's seem mostly compatible with lowers, but there are some issues, again I'd suggest people go read Robert's posts on facebook on the issues as he's by far the best reference for info.

The reality is from the MPX's I've owned and seen at the range a large percentage of owners have issues, unless you are wanting to shoot PCC, the Scorpion is a much cheaper, more reliable option, and if you want to drop MPX $, there's the HK/B&T. The price Sig charges for parts, mags, uppers etc. is ridiculous, a stripped MCX/MPX upper is $500 and you'll spend another $500 for the spring/recoil/bolt assembly. We see constant posts about issues loading mags to full capacity, being picky about what grain ammo it likes (seems to be 147s), the list goes on and on.

The MCX is another perfect example of how Sig abandons designs almost yearly. The MCX has only been in civilian hands for 4 years, but we've seen 3 completely different major revisions, bolts are different, barrels different, handguards are different, etc.

The modularity is great, but when they change the design every year (sometimes more than once a year), that just means more parts you can't get for your version 2 years later. I'd sell both my MCX and MPX setups in a heartbeat for 80% of what I have in them much less MSRP.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
The problem with Sig is the constant changes and releasing platforms before they are tested, the early Gen 2 MPX was a nitemare for many starting out.

The modularity is great, but when they change the design every year (sometimes more than once a year), that just means more parts you can't get for your version 2 years later. I'd sell both my MCX and MPX setups in a heartbeat for 80% of what I have in them much less MSRP.

I've wondered if Sig does this cuz they really don't want the MPX in civilian hands.

It's possible, I think the reality is Sig is using a new marketing strategy, due in no doubt to the guy running the show that did the same thing for Kimber. At least until everyone figured out that Kimber's QC went to crap, the path Sig is headed down now. They are bringing out lots of neat tacticool designs, with lots of marketing hype, big prices, and customers are eating it up. When they bring out a new version the next year, guys line up to buy that one too. So you really can't argue with it from a business standpoint, but it's a liability as a customer. Now that SIg is getting more and more LEO/MIL business, they are only going to care less and less about their civilian market.

It's possible, I think the reality is Sig is using a new marketing strategy, due in no doubt to the guy running the show that did the same thing for Kimber. At least until everyone figured out that Kimber's QC went to crap, the path Sig is headed down now. They are bringing out lots of neat tacticool designs, with lots of marketing hype, big prices, and customers are eating it up. When they bring out a new version the next year, guys line up to buy that one too. So you really can't argue with it from a business standpoint, but it's a liability as a customer. Now that SIg is getting more and more LEO/MIL business, they are only going to care less and less about their civilian market.

I agree, except about Sig's quality going down. The Legion P 226 is as goods as any Sig P226 ever, and better than some generations of it. The new 220 I bought 2 years ago is just as excellent.

And the MPX / MCX quality is first rate.

But yes.... I think Sig is focused on gov't contracts, that just buy the latest greatest and are fine screwing over the civilian market that modifys and upgrades.

The legion isn't a bad gun, but again QC rears its ugly head, they had tons of coating issues, putting front sights on crooked etc.

I have a DA/SA Legion 226 and it's a nice gun, but it's not even in the same ballpark as my German P226 X5 All Around is, and the street price before SIg was banned from importing German models was basically the same. Let someone shoot my P226 Legion and you get "That's a nice great Sig", let them shoot my P226 X5 All Around and you get "That's a Sig!?!?!?" Let them shoot my X5 P226 Supermatch and they won't even believe it's a Sig with it stamped on the gun.

A lot of what I put in QC issues bucket is just bringing designs to market too fast with flaws as opposed to say a badly machined part. The MPX was a great example, Early Gen 2 guns broke firing pins like a fat kid eats candy, so they replaced the bolt design. They had problems running weaker ammo, so they changed the gas plug. They had issues with the barrel retaining nuts stripping/spinning out the upper. Here again we can commend Sig for putting out quick fixes, but if the guns were even significantly tested prior to release these issues would have been found. That's not even getting into their issues with bolt speed and recoil, chewing up triggers even designed for 9mm PCC's. Worse yet when these issues were happening, current MPX owners could not get the upgraded parts. The P365 has issues with light primer strikes, trigger springs failing and rendering the gun inoperable, etc. so bad they had to put out a Gen 2 gun the first year. The P210 is known to break recoil spring guide rods. X5 320's (pre-Legion) had issues going into battery, and lots of recoil/slide rate related issues, everyone replaced their captured recoil springs with aftermarket versions running 1911 springs and the problems vanished. They jury rigged the front/rear sight heights badly to get the front sight to work with the cutout of the Romeo 1, that people had to adjust the rear sight so high with irons, the elevation screw was past it's safe limit and rear sights were flying apart on ranges. Even the Legion X5 320 had issues, they tried to pass off a barrel hood cut as a "witness hole" before they realized that it created blowback into an optic sight so bad you couldn't get through a match without cleaning it. Mind you early prototype X5 Legions had a rise up cambered round indicator like the X17/X18. My guess is they decided against it to cut costs but had to do something with all the barrels they had already made cut out for it. They quickly started replacing barrels for guys. There isn't a design Sig has brought to market in the last 5 years that hasn't had major design issues.

Beyond that Sig is horrible at forcing you to use their accessories. The early P226 legions, X5 320's etc. were cut only to use their optic even when other options had the same screw pattern. The MCX/MPX tapered threaded barrels that you have to use a jury rigged tapered washer on to use anyone else's suppressor/brake on.

Some will say that's the price you have to pay for getting all these frequent new designs to market, and Sig has become the poster child for marketing hype and selling a "mall ninja" (Legion) club way of life and you can't argue with the success of it, because people just keep lining up to buy their stuff.

Last edited:
comparing an X5 Supermatch against a Legion is like comparing an Audi and a Volkswagen. Or better, an Audi A6 vs. a Ford Eplorer SUV. Different league, different purpose.

(I own a Volkswagen) :)

Generally I agree with your post.

I've wondered if Sig does this cuz they really don't want the MPX in civilian hands.
Sig has been pulling shit like this for 20 years, using customers as beta testers and abandoning whole product lines leaving customers fucked.

When they aren't using outsourced Indian parts that is.

Ron Cohen ruined Kimber then went on to ruin SIGUSA in it's infancy. Now he gets to face the music for faking end user certs by selling guns to countries banned by German law.

I will chime in on Sig- they SUCK as far as support for older models. Try to get any piston parts for 556, try getting some parts for their 522 (22lr trainers) rifles - nope on both. Its like they think/believe their EXPENSIVE shit is indestructible and made for “forever” .
I honestly will NOT buy any more SigSauer semi-auto rifles because of their lack of customer service and support for anything 5yrs or older.

Everything expressed in this thread is probably factual. That said anyone readying this I encourage you to go watch Garandthumbs YouTube video, he calls it the MP-5 killer for a reason. The latest version of the MPX is an amazing platform I’ve got about 1900 rounds thru mine since I purchased in November and it’s been flawless. I truly believe they’ve perfected the platform.

Have one of the later model first Gen 716. Try and find spare parts for it. Fortunately it's pretty bomb proof, I just need to get some spare gas rings and ejector/extractor springs. But they no longer list them so I'll need to call them. The whole rifle is proprietary and I have no idea on those three wear items.
Don't get my complaints wrong, I love the gun, but Sig moves on with practically no support for previous models in less than five years it seems.

Interesting factoid:
The “real“ 1st Gen MCX’s were 500 auto regulating gas system guns that came in a “kit” with two 9” barrel conversions, 5.56 and 300blk. These kits were sold exclusively at Cabelas. The auto regulating gas system was, IMO, the real special feature the MCX offered. The system was scrapped because these regulators were not user serviceable.
Was lucky enough to have bought one of these guns, been kicking myself ever since for not getting a second when I had the chance.

Everything expressed in this thread is probably factual. That said anyone readying this I encourage you to go watch Garandthumbs YouTube video, he calls it the MP-5 killer for a reason. The latest version of the MPX is an amazing platform I’ve got about 1900 rounds thru mine since I purchased in November and it’s been flawless. I truly believe they’ve perfected the platform.

When you get hosed by Sig because they orphan your MPX, you will understand. They come up with cool ideas, but the constant changes and updates, because they don’t thoroughly test them, and then the dropped support for legacy models, well....you will understand. Fortunately a Sig-o-phile bailed me out on a Sig 556 gen2 Russian. Try to find parts for that and it’s not even 10 yrs old!

When you get hosed by Sig because they orphan your MPX, you will understand. They come up with cool ideas, but the constant changes and updates, because they don’t thoroughly test them, and then the dropped support for legacy models, well....you will understand. Fortunately a Sig-o-phile bailed me out on a Sig 556 gen2 Russian. Try to find parts for that and it’s not even 10 yrs old!
Out of curiosity. What parts did you need?

Need? It wasn’t a matter of need. But the gas system maintenance kit and spare parts kit are discontinued and unavailable. Given the volatility of black rifle legality, any weapon you cannot support with things like action springs, extractors, and firing pins, etc., is strictly a toy. All weapons contain some consumables and items that can readily break. For Sig to dump support is unconscionable. So I will never buy another Sig. I really had interest in a 365, but I won’t take the chance.

Frankly, when it comes to rifles, AR’s and AK’s are really the only universal choices with many parts sources. I guess you could include FALs and G3’s, but those are past their time.

For what it's worth, the mpx seems to have built up enough of a following that aftermarket companies are are now supporting the setup - rails, barrels, gas system pieces, etc. are available (In Lead We Trust is a good example). I think the system has matured enough that parts will continue to be available regardless of what Sig does.

I have a gen 2 mpx (8 inch) and two mp5's. The Sig is every bit as smooth as the mp5, which everyone touts as the gold standard, while also using modern controls. If you're looking to get into a pcc it's really worth looking at. And yeah, they're expensive, but an HK Sp5 is going to set you back almost another grand. B&T makes works of art, but they're running a crude straight blowback system which doesn't make any sense in my mind.

-Will

Hi guys, new to forum here. I purchased a Sig MCX Rattler last week and it was only the 5.56 version, I was really wanting the .300 BLK , but this was all I found locally and after looking online as well.
Anyone have any ideas where I can find then conversion kit for this 5.5” version? Is my best bet to just call Sig an back order? Also, someone in the thread mentioned barfcum, I couldn’t find a reference to that if someone can help me there.
There’s 1 kit on Gunbroker, but it’s for a 9” barrel and I have the 5.5 and would like to stay there.
Thanks

Hi guys, new to forum here. I purchased a Sig MCX Rattler last week and it was only the 5.56 version, I was really wanting the .300 BLK , but this was all I found locally and after looking online as well.
Anyone have any ideas where I can find then conversion kit for this 5.5” version? Is my best bet to just call Sig an back order? Also, someone in the thread mentioned barfcum, I couldn’t find a reference to that if someone can help me there.
There’s 1 kit on Gunbroker, but it’s for a 9” barrel and I have the 5.5 and would like to stay there.
Thanks
I assume the reference of barfcum is related to AR15.com, also called ARF.COM and other similar shorthand’s. I have purchased Sig Uppers, Colt Uppers and small parts from their Exchange without issues. Just check out whomever you are thinking about buying stuff from. They do have a Feedback section that is often valuable to research with. Sig product website needs to be looked at often. Parts for MCX and MPX will pop up without warning. Early bird gets the worm. Good luck!

New to me. Got one off sig less than 2 weeks ago. Shits in high demand. Same reason a noveske ghetto blaster just sold for 6700 or you can't find a kac or lmt under 5k.

Lot of talking down on sig. I understand it but I don't agree. Companies should constantly be innovating and improving. Virtus and mpx mlok have both been out awhile. All the upgrades helped. Some in MAJOR ways. I get that at leaves you with an out of date rifle but you also have the option to sell it like a lot of people did. Why you figure they may do some part runs you got understand those parts are going to become increasingly more rare. And may eventually become collector's items. Anyway The virtus took the mcx from a decent modular rifle to world class. It's not going anywhere. The way I look at it if they don't listen to their customers they get shit on. If they do, they get double shit on.

The mcx has had 2 real versions. The mcx and the virtus. They had a recall in version 1 that added a firing pin saftey. You should still always be able to get these parts if you call in for warranty repair. If not they will swap you into a newer version. Not sure what else is expected from a company?

The mpx has had 2 real versions the slick type and mlok/keymod. What is not compatible?

Just came to say u applaud the innovation. If my shit get outdated I may upgrade or may not

SIG Rattler with a AAC SR7 can in 300Blk. Built on an Anderson lower in Cerakote SIG dark grey.

iwca6dF.jpg