• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where are the factory 224 Valkyrie bolt action rifles?

zetroc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
I am looking to get my wife into longer range shooting. I have a 308 and 6.5 creedmoor that I have little time to shoot but I am hoping to fix that in the future. I have a new suppressor on the way.

My wife is willing to go to the range, but she should like to be comfortable. Recoil is an issue. I have been very interested in getting her a valkyrie bolt action rifle but the options are limited. It appears they are mostly semi-auto.

I have been considering a Tikka action placed it into an MDT stock. I would prefer to purchase something "ready to go" and hopefully "headache free". Budget is less of an issue. Time is much more important to me.

I don't see any new offerings in 224 Valkyrie for precision shooting from Tikka, Ruger, or Savage (even their new 110 precision line).

Are the big manufacturers not making these offerings because they don't see a market, or am I just impatient ? Do you think these offerings are on the way soon?

Thanks.

I’m digging my Mini Fix but it’s not really a factory option anymore. Just get a smith to spin up a barreled action and pick your chassis. Should be easy. @lowlight brags on his Mile High build. My son and wife like shooting the .224

Not a lot of factory support for the bolt head. Get something with a swappable bolt face and rock it. I know the ARC nucleus and the Bighorn actions support this. With the ability to purchase prefit barrels the potential is great for a multi caliber rig.

Reactions: bunsen27
I am looking to get my wife into longer range shooting. I have a 308 and 6.5 creedmoor that I have little time to shoot but I am hoping to fix that in the future. I have a new suppressor on the way.

My wife is willing to go to the range, but she should like to be comfortable. Recoil is an issue. I have been very interested in getting her a valkyrie bolt action rifle but the options are limited. It appears they are mostly semi-auto.

I have been considering a Tikka action placed it into an MDT stock. I would prefer to purchase something "ready to go" and hopefully "headache free". Budget is less of an issue. Time is much more important to me.

I don't see any new offerings in 224 Valkyrie for precision shooting from Tikka, Ruger, or Savage (even their new 110 precision line).

Are the big manufacturers not making these offerings because they don't see a market, or am I just impatient ? Do you think these offerings are on the way soon?

Thanks.
Really? I have several bolt actions with several same-caliber gas-gun equivalents ... and the bolt actions "always" have more felt recoil than the same caliber gas-gun. Are you sure your assumptions here are correct? Example: My Tikka T3a TAC A1 bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor ... has way more felt recoil than my 6.5 Creedmoor LWRCI gas-piston AR-10 (REPR MKII Elite). I have a WOA 224 Valkyrie upper on a Bushmaster AR lower, and the recoil is pretty much "squat".

the felt recoil is only related to the caliber. I like the idea of a bolt gun for her.

the felt recoil is only related to the caliber. I like the idea of a bolt gun for her.
Sorry ... you seemed to indicate that recoil would be lighter on a Bolt Action. No worries. BTW ... look at 6.5 Grendel too. Mine is more accurate than my 224 Valkyrie.

Not a 224V, but I just got a Tikka Varmint 223 1-8 twist that I plan to drop into a KRG Bravo. Would a 223 with 1-7 or 1-8 twist to launch higher BC projectiles be an option? I also agree with the 6.5 Grendel option above. Good luck!

Thanks.
How about a howa mini in 6.5 grendel? The 120 class bullets have low recoil, factory ammo is available. You can get a model already in a chassis.

Mossberg #28035 is a slick looking Valkyrie. They are usually good shooters also.

You guys are so helpful at working on my problem. Thanks. I will try to find a friend with one of the above calibers and see what I think.

Let me get to my original but long winded question:

Are the big manufacturers not making bolt action rifles in the caliber because they don't see a market, or do you think these offerings are on the way soon?

You guys are so helpful at working on my problem. Thanks. I will try to find a friend with one of the above calibers and see what I think.

Let me get to my original but long winded question:

Are the big manufacturers not making bolt action rifles in the caliber because they don't see a market, or do you think these offerings are on the way soon?
I think the Valkyrie was intended to be a gas gun.

That said, most of the manufacturers are thinking the same way and thus producing gas guns. They are offering a few bolt guns in the caliber, but they are not overly common.

I would have thought there would be more bolt gun offerings by now, but maybe it isn't catching on as fast as they thought it would?

Reactions: bunsen27
I have been considering a bolt action .224 myself. My plan at this point is to buy a Tikka T3x Lite in 223. Get a prefit barrel in .224 valkyrie and have a smith open the bolt face up to accept the larger 6.8 case. Mount in a chassis. I decided at this point on chassis. I have a MPA that I really love but might go down theKRG Bravo Route.

I think the Valkyrie was intended to be a gas gun.

That said, most of the manufacturers are thinking the same way and thus producing gas guns. They are offering a few bolt guns in the caliber, but they are not overly common.

I would have thought there would be more bolt gun offerings by now, but maybe it isn't catching on as fast as they thought it would?

This. The pro of a valk is being able to fit heavies in an AR mag length. You can load heavies long in a 223 without an issue in a bolt gun and get just about the same velocity

Reactions: Boogieman84
This. The pro of a valk is being able to fit heavies in an AR mag length. You can load heavies long in a 223 without an issue in a bolt gun and get just about the same velocity

Respectfully, not even close. The Valk can really push the heavies a lot more than the 223. For 75's I get 2940fps in 223 and that's pushing them kinda hard. The Valk launches the same bullet at 3100 and it's not even close showing pressure signs.

OP: As mentioned, have Mile High spin up a 224 Valk on a Big Horn Origin. If the cartridge fades, just swap the bolt head to something else.

Respectfully, not even close. The Valk can really push the heavies a lot more than the 223. For 75's I get 2940fps in 223 and that's pushing them kinda hard. The Valk launches the same bullet at 3100 and it's not even close showing pressure signs.

OP: As mentioned, have Mile High spin up a 224 Valk on a Big Horn Origin. If the cartridge fades, just swap the bolt head to something else.

What barrel length?

Out of my 24” barrel im hitting 2940 with 80s and 3040 with 75s. I’ve had to back off my 75 grain load with the 75s to make speed limit.

The Valkyrie still has a performance advantage but to me I’d rather have the brass availability (cheap) and tac class with the .223.

they are out there you just have to look online
I got the cmmg gas version 224 with a 24'' barrel and have not regretted buying it once . one day I may if its still around try a bolt version I am just not paying 26. dollars and change for a 90 gr 22 bullet 8.99 75gr is good enough for me .

I have been considering a bolt action .224 myself. My plan at this point is to buy a Tikka T3x Lite in 223. Get a prefit barrel in .224 valkyrie and have a smith open the bolt face up to accept the larger 6.8 case. Mount in a chassis. I decided at this point on chassis. I have a MPA that I really love but might go down theKRG Bravo Route.
I built a .22 nosler bolt gun. Right now, the brass isn't difficult to source. I load long in a modified accurate mag. Getting 80 grainers to 3100 was easy, with capacity to spare.
I really wish that Howa would chamber the mini action in 6.8 and .224. I would build a switch barrel rig.

@zetroc Up until late 2019 when MDT came out with them there were not any off the shelf plug & play AICS pattern mags for the 6.8 case.

This may have played some role in major manufacturers not developing 224Vlk bolt guns or not. I personally thought somebody would have a few on the market by now.

If you do go the custom barreled action route take a few minutes and look into the 220 Thundebolt from Keystone Accuracy:

@zetroc I believe the bolt guns aren't being produced in the same numbers because of the bolt face. Most bolt rifles have a 1 piece bolt. Savage is the most mainstream company that has swappable bolt heads. I went with a Bighorn Origin (which just arrived 2 days ago!!) for the adaptability. I plan on trying the MDT hybrid mags for my 224.

Mossberg MVP rifles are the only factory bolt rifles I’ve seen recently. I think most manufacturers would be smart to add this caliber to their lineup.
Right now I’m getting it done with a fast twist .22-250 but a Valkyrie would be a fun bolt gun to run.

I htink for many of them having to stock a new bolt face diameter is probably the biggest obstacle. Not too many make a 6.8spc, grendel, 7.62x39 etc bolt action right now so its not an easy swap of just the reamer alone to add the valk to a line.

I have a MileHighShooting .224 Val with BigHorn action and Bartlein left gain twist 26" barrel that shoots .25" groups and goes out to 1000yds without any problem. Little to no reccoil shooting Horn 88gn ELD-M with Varget powder. Lights out! Couldn't be happier

I recently acquired a Masterpiece Arms BA in 224 Valkyrie. It is extremely accurate and I love the MPA stock. The only weakness is the magazines. MPA has to rework a 10 rd 223 Rem mag made by another company. I purchased three but only two mags work and they cost over $50 each. The barrel has a 6.5 twist. My rifle with scope and bipod weighs 18.75 lbs. Overall I am quite pleased but be aware that I am not aware of anyone who makes a 224 Valkyrie magazine for a bolt action rifle. Even MPA has to jury rig them.

Yeah, I had issues with the mod'ed poly 223 mags too. Their 6 BR mags seem to be working pretty well (still not 100%, but close), with some tweaking of the feedlips.

I had an extraordinarily accurate Mossberg MVP 5.56 24” Varmint model.

I’d give the MVP-LR in 224 Valkyrie a shot. Adjustable stock, 22” 1:7 twist barrel... It’s probably my next long gun purchase just to see how it compares

Here’s mine. Love the Valkyrie round
EAFB9FFB-1567-4926-84D8-8AD40674FC87.jpeg

There's plenty of other cartridges in a standard bolt face that will get you there.

The valkerie was marketed as the 22-250 that fits in an ar-15.

For what it's worth, an AR with the right buffer and gas setup will feel way less recoil as the dwell time is huge with all the movement compared to a bolt gun.

And I've seen more than one sling a 223 out to 1k. Keep the bullet weight in the 70grn range and they're surprisingly capable.

Reactions: moosemeat
I would get an Origin action and order a xcaliber prefit Savage nut. That's what I have and love it.

Reactions: moosemeat
For you guys that are having magazine problems with the .224 Valkyrie in the AR platform try the PRI magazines.

I got mine with the 15 round capacity and didn’t have to modify a thing.

On the other hand, I hand to bend the feed lips on the E-landers and Stoners. The 15 round Stoners would only work with ten or less. More than that and the cartridges would nose dive into the feed ramps.

BTW, I’m shooting a bolt action AR-15 upper made by Uintah.

Q just released their minifix in 224v ... picked one up

For you guys that are having magazine problems with the .224 Valkyrie in the AR platform try the PRI magazines.

I got mine with the 15 round capacity and didn’t have to modify a thing.

On the other hand, I hand to bend the feed lips on the E-landers and Stoners. The 15 round Stoners would only work with ten or less. More than that and the cartridges would nose dive into the feed ramps.

BTW, I’m shooting a bolt action AR-15 upper made by Uintah.

At my match last weekend, my Stoners were running fine and a guy was having issues with PRI and some other brand I hadn’t heard of. My Stoners were fine (10 and 15 round) but my OAL is 2.290”

Honestly I think it comes down to testing whatever brand and making sure it functions like it should....even top brand stuff fails occasionally. Fortunately they’re not incredibly expensive and can be replaced or scavengers for springs/followers if the bodies are trash (y)

i just picked up a 224v minifix from Q ... will take her out next weekend

I am looking into the new 224 Valkyrie in a bolt rifle. Not many available here in Norway so far....

I do notice that the Howa Mini-action in 6.5 Grendel might be a good choise for a build.
The 6.5 Grendel cartridge has a rim diameter of 11.2mm (0.440"), the 224 Valkyrie has 10.72mm (0.422").
So cartridge body diameter is only 0.5mm (0.0197") smaller in the Valkyrie, I think it will fit in the Howa magazine, and feed properly.... hopefully....
Also, the 6.5 Grendel extractor will most likely grip and extract the 0.25mm (0.0098") smaller (radius) case rim of the Valkyrie round.

The bolt face cutout diameter (in the mini-action 6.5 grendel bolt) for the case head is 0.5mm (0.0197") too large for the 224 Valkyrie case, but as the sideways support for the case head in the bolt is not the main task of the bolt cutout (only headspace is), it should not be an issue as far as i can tell......

I measured the cutout in my Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and the cutout diameter in the bolt face measured 12.25mm (0.311") and the case head rim is 11.97mm (0.471"), so it indicates that sideways support of the case head is not the purpose of the bolt face, only headspace is.

I will ask a smith about this, but as long as headspace is set up properly in a new barrel, and the rear end of the case is supported properly by the chamber, I believe this can work just fine.

I have found the MDT Oryx chassis will fit perfectly. It is available for the Howa Mini Action:
1592995211032.png

Barrel: I am looking to have a smith fabricate and install a Lothar Walther 24" barrel with 1:7" twist.

I am looking into the new 224 Valkyrie in a bolt rifle. Not many available here in Norway so far....

I do notice that the Howa Mini-action in 6.5 Grendel might be a good choise for a build.
The 6.5 Grendel cartridge has a rim diameter of 11.2mm (0.440"), the 224 Valkyrie has 10.72mm (0.422").
So cartridge body diameter is only 0.5mm (0.0197") smaller in the Valkyrie, I think it will fit in the Howa magazine, and feed properly.... hopefully....
Also, the 6.5 Grendel extractor will most likely grip and extract the 0.25mm (0.0098") smaller (radius) case rim of the Valkyrie round.

The bolt face cutout diameter (in the mini-action 6.5 grendel bolt) for the case head is 0.5mm (0.0197") too large for the 224 Valkyrie case, but as the sideways support for the case head in the bolt is not the main task of the bolt cutout (only headspace is), it should not be an issue as far as i can tell......

I measured the cutout in my Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and the cutout diameter in the bolt face measured 12.25mm (0.311") and the case head rim is 11.97mm (0.471"), so it indicates that sideways support of the case head is not the purpose of the bolt face, only headspace is.

I will ask a smith about this, but as long as headspace is set up properly in a new barrel, and the rear end of the case is supported properly by the chamber, I believe this can work just fine.

I have found the MDT Oryx chassis will fit perfectly. It is available for the Howa Mini Action:
View attachment 7358346

Barrel: I am looking to have a smith fabricate and install a Lothar Walther 24" barrel with 1:7" twist.
You may want to consider opening a .223 boltface to the proper diameter. You're going to have extraction issues with the larger bolt face.
The easiest answer is a savage rifle if available, purchase a 6.8 bolt head.
Other option is a remington plus an aftermarket bolt. ITAR difficulties apply.
Third option is to skip the valkyrie and build a 6mm ARC off the howa.

Yes, you might be right. All though the spring loaded ejector is pushing against the case bottom, the case might slide sideways out of the extractor when the case is extracted out an inch or so. The 224 Valkyrie case is pretty cylindrical, but it might slide sideways out of the extractor grip......

It is probably wiser to use a 223REM Mini Action as a base and open the bolt face. If the extractor on the 223 bolt is different than on the 6.5 grendel version, one might grind down the tip of the 223 extractor or buy a new extractor used on the 6.5 grendel bolt. One probably needs a new magazine for the MDT Oryx chassis anyhow.....

I did find a picture online of the Mini Action Bolt Face, it is of the 223REM version I believe:
1593000010900.png

i just picked up a 224v minifix from Q ... will take her out next weekend

I have the big brother and wanted the 224v... now I would get it and rebarrel to a 6mm arc

i think between the 224v and 6mm arc you will see more options. but @padom had a bolt made with a little bit longer oal since it not m4 mags and got a bit more performance out of it

I have the big brother and wanted the 224v... now I would get it and rebarrel to a 6mm arc

i think between the 224v and 6mm arc you will see more options. but @padom had a bolt made with a little bit longer oal since it not m4 mags and got a bit more performance out of it

ack - i got the 6.5 Fix as well and picked up a 6cm proof for that.

i got a 224v and 300bo minifix - still havent taken them out but yes with 6 ARC i hope to see a minifix proof barrel

ack - i got the 6.5 Fix as well and picked up a 6cm proof for that.

i got a 224v and 300bo minifix - still havent taken them out but yes with 6 ARC i hope to see a minifix proof barrel

i haven’t seen too much in terms of fix arc barrels. I also think the bolt face may be slightly different between 224v and Arc but not really sure.

i haven’t seen too much in terms of fix arc barrels. I also think the bolt face may be slightly different between 224v and Arc but not really sure.
The ARC uses the grendel/7.62x39 bolt face.
It is, in essence, a 6mm grendel

and I think the 224v is based on a 220 Russian which is a few thousand different if I remember right

224V is based on the 6.8 SPC, and the SPC's parent case is the 30 Remington.

The Grendel family of cartridges (including the new 6ARC) are derived from the 220 Russian, but not the Valk.

Reactions: gpkon66