• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where can I buy the "rest" of the CMP 40X rimfire?

Bosshoff

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Chicagoland
I know very little about Remington 40X rimfire 22lr actions, etc. I may have jumped the gun, but I ordered a CMP barrelled action, no bolt, no trigger, etc. What else do I need to assemble? Trigger, trigger guard/ bottom metal, follower or some sort of "tray" that the rounds sit/set on? I see that Pacific Tool and Gauge makes a replacement bolt for like $200. Does this need to be "headspaced" on a 22lr? Who makes a trigger for a 40X rimfire? I called and spoke to someone at Jewell today and they said their 40X will not work with a rimfire. I've been searching and reading alot with little to nothing accomplished. Any input you guys can give me is appreciated. I checked rimfirecentral, and the firing line to no avail. My Google-Fu is weak. Thanks.

Re: Where can I buy the "rest" of the CMP 40X rimfire?

A standard 700 tirigger should work just fine on them. Try this place. I have not looked in some time. But they had 40x parts:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Remington might be able to get you some of the other parts. Last I heard though, the bolt stop Remington sells for the 40x rimfires doesn't work properly.

Bolt from Kiff and yes it will need to be checked for headspace and correctly fitted if needed.

Kiff also has/had some loading ramps/ejectors, $30ish IIRC Think he has the screw to retain it, ask, if not Out Back for that also.

It more than likely won't come with the 'Receiver Filler piece' and spring behind it. Remington had these but talk to someone in parts and not Customer Service because they will tell you they don't have any 40-X rimfire parts.

If they don't have these call or email Wendall @ Out Back Gunparts in IN. He has/had the bolt stop and spring also may have above 'Receiver Filler Piece and spring! Make sure you get a 'rimfire' bolt stop, they are different than a standard 700!

http://www.outbackgunparts.com/

Don't know what the issue is with Jewell telling you their trigger won't work but there are I am sure hundreds of rimfires with them installed! So get a second opinion or call and talk to someone else!

Any ADL 700 trigger guard is the same as the 40-X rimfire.

Either find a factory stock on Ebay, Gunbroker, E-Gunparts or Rimfirecentral forums.

Bases are same as 700 but some current bases won't fit the earlier receivers as the rear bridge is .017 lower on pre prefix 700's and 40-X in the same time frame. Especially check with 2 pc bases and screw 1pc base tight on front receiver ring and see if there is a gap/daylight between base and rear receiver bridge. You will lose alot of elevation in your scope if base slopes to rear or rear ring is lower and can also torque/damage scope tube, especially using 2pc bases. Some will argue otherwise but substitute snide remarks on the net for lack of knowledge
smile.gif

HTH,

Respectfully,
Dennis

You can get the "side filler piece" and spring from Numrich. Kiff has the ejector (loading tray) and may also sell the filler piece. Cannot understand why Jewell told you their trigger wont work. If you want a two stage trigger try CG Jackson, I know that one will work as I use one on a 40x.

John

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/

Also, if you sent them a email, or called. None of the barreled actions they have in stock have the "B" annotation at the end of the serial number.

That was the kicker for me. I debated it, but doing stock work sucks balls, so a standard 40x rimfire was out of the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you sent them a email, or called. None of the barreled actions they have in stock have the "B" annotation at the end of the serial number.

That was the kicker for me. I debated it, but doing stock work sucks balls, so a standard 40x rimfire was out of the question.</div></div>
This is false.
I just received my barreled receiver from CMP, and mine is a B model

I got another piece of info for you, to further complicate things.

The Remington 40X's were based off the Remington 722 before that model changed into the Remington 700. I wonder if you might have gotten one of 722 based 40Xs.

Certain parts won't interchange between them, can't remember which ones. Not sure how far along your barreled receiver is, or what the 722/700 receiver differences are, but might make a difference, when searching for parts...

The CMP initially sold some standard barred receivers when they put the last run up for sale. These were 722 based guns. There were a limited number of heavy barreled rifles built on 722/40-X based receivers. However ALL of the pics I have seen and my correspondence with CMP is that ALL of the remaining stripped barreled receivers are 700/40-XB based guns with the heavy barrel.

I was at CMP store South on 2-26. I picked up a parkerized 40xb HB barreled receiver. The 6-8 or so they had left were all HB. Emailed Outback and they said they should have all the parts I would need to finish it once I have my PTG bolt and trigger from an as yet undetermined source. Got a stock from a member here. Should come in a little under what a "Gunbroker" 40xb would go for. Later on I plan to make it an M40A1 clone.

Edit to add:

placed an order with Outback today for all the parts minus trigger and bolt. I'll give a rundown on price and part number when they get here in a few days.