• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where can I get a decent winter coat for a budget minded price?

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
Went to BassPro yesterday, and they had a few nice ones, but I'm always tinkering with old cars, and camping, and Jeepin. If I pay a ton of money for a coat, I feel that much worse when I forget to take it off before crawling under some old greasy car, Jeep, camper..etc. Everything at BassPro was over 100 bucks. The one I have now looks like I stole it from a hobo.

Check with @LAR Dragoon to see if he has any winter GI stuff that may work for you.

If they have your size, and you have an appropriate layer to wear underneath, this is some sweet dealing on a shell from a quality US manufacturer.

Im tempted to buy one of these but I had just bought the Otte made in asia knock off before these were available.

Check with @LAR Dragoon to see if he has any winter GI stuff that may work for you.

If they have your size, and you have an appropriate layer to wear underneath, this is some sweet dealing on a shell from a quality US manufacturer.

Im tempted to buy one of these but I had just bought the Otte made in asia knock off before these were available.
That’s pretty cheap indeed. That would pair nice with some lightweight poly pro and be pretty dang warm.

Reactions: LAR Dragoon
That’s pretty cheap indeed. That would pair nice with some lightweight poly pro and be pretty dang warm.

Im not sure what they have available. The link still looks live but Im not seeing any size info. I was just playing around with multi cam so maybe they are all out of that but the other colors may show live sizes......that or you may have to call them.

Edit add.......played with colors.....looks like only size they have now is 2X large in all colors but multicam.

Month or two when I was in there they had all sizes.

Sorry unless you are 2XL.

Im not sure what they have available. The link still looks live but Im not seeing any size info. I was just playing around with multi cam so maybe they are all out of that but the other colors may show live sizes......that or you may have to call them.
Every size I picked only came up in 2xl. Will make a side trip to Bragg one day this week and see what is floating around there. Maybe make a few phone calls to some peeps still there and see what is out there.

Just buy a Carhart and never look back. Had mine through over 20 Minnesota winters, and still running strong. Yeah it may look like I've been drug behind a vehicle for ten miles, but a worn Carhart is kinda a status Symbol.

Every size I picked only came up in 2xl. Will make a side trip to Bragg one day this week and see what is floating around there. Maybe make a few phone calls to some peeps still there and see what is out there.

Bragg?

Dont you mean "Fort Harvey Milk"?

Sorry thats a rant for another thread.

Seriously @LAR Dragoon gets some great gear.

I got some "Beyond Clothing" pants from him recently and they are top tier.

Surplus is your friend. My favorite online place for a few years is KeepShooting.

Some really, really good foreign surplus. They don't sell used up junk, so even if old it's lightly or entirely unused. Many items have reviews so you can tell what others think also, double check them.

They don't have a "coat" category, so you have to sift a little through all "jackets" but here's the right section:
Though... doesn't seem to have everything listed? Maybe search "cold" or just wander the site more.

This seems nice for $40, if you don't need camouflage colors, for just example (and because the camo colored french stuff I have is very, very nice):

Reactions: macthknife
Bragg?

Dont you mean "Fort Harvey Milk"?

Sorry thats a rant for another thread.

Seriously @LAR Dragoon gets some great gear.

I got some "Beyond Clothing" pants from him recently and they are top tier.
Always be Bragg to me. Guess my DD214 will have to be amended once they get their way? I’ll hangout and see what @LAR Dragoon might have available though. Always like to support someone here iffin I can.

Carhartt.

I get them free occasionally. Haven't bought a coat besides the Milwaukee heated jacket in 15 years now.

I have one that was worn for 6 months a year working 80+ hour weeks, and it wasn't broken in properly for 3 years.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Montbell Alpine Down Jacket and then use a MH balaclava/micro dome or dome perignon and you should be pretty warm at rest. Or pick up a down balaclava to go with it.

Just buy a Carhart and never look back. Had mine through over 20 Minnesota winters, and still running strong. Yeah it may look like I've been drug behind a vehicle for ten miles, but a worn Carhart is kinda a status Symbol.
This.
If a Carhartt and two layers under it won't do the job, you don't need to be out in it.

My default outerwear for going-out-to-the-shop-or-polebarn-and-might-get-dirty is a pair of Dickies jackets I picked up some number of years ago on mid-winter clearance for something like $30/each. The lighter-color one has picked up some stains but nothing too bad; the darker one is looking good except for a few smears of bright paint that I picked up off a freshly-sprayed steel target.

Now is also a decent time to find the small outdoors shop near you and look for discounted gear. Some of the stuff that's normally overpriced starts to look pretty good with a 50% post-Christmas discount.

Reactions: macthknife
Goodwill holds gold to those who search hard enough.
Yeah man, I the video is funny as hell but I wasn’t joking about the GW. People throw new shit away there. There was even one not too long ago that had live grenades, and those where shipped to them from another GW store.

Hey, maybe they have coats AND primers.

Other than that, the heavy duty carhartts is where it’s at in terms of durability.

Haven't bought a coat besides the Milwaukee heated jacket in 15 years now.

Not to derail, but how is that Milwaukee M12 coat? Is it pretty well made? Does it work well?

I’m a Milwaukee tool fan and saw the coat and wondered if it was legitimate or just a play to sell more batteries.

I've donated plenty to GW and found plenty of good stuff at GW. I needed some sharp (better than what I had at a new job and location) clothes for a business meeting. Dropped into GW spent less than $50 top to bottom. Not to mention I scored some FR shirts that I used on the job for regular visits to industrial sites.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
Not to derail, but how is that Milwaukee M12 coat? Is it pretty well made? Does it work well?

I’m a Milwaukee tool fan and saw the coat and wondered if it was legitimate or just a play to sell more batteries.

It works ok. I put a 5.0 M18 battery in it to get a full day with both hands and chest on high.

If you toss a hoodie on over top to insulate the heat, it will cook you. If you put it over a hoodie you'll never feel the heat.

I use a carhartt Sherpa lined zip-up hoodie on the real cold days (0 or below).

Was out snowmobiling yesterday. Broke my zipper on my coat so I grabbed the Milwaukee. It was 10-25* throughout the day, 10-30mph winds, and we bombed across some flats at 70+. Never got cold, and never turned it on.

Reactions: Jethro3898
Hi,

Easier to just heat the garage and make sure heater is working in the Heep.

Cold weather clothing is complicated.

Sincerely,
Theis

You just need to learn how much fun cold is. Can't go ice fishing without ice, can't snowmobile without snow, can't drift your truck for 5 miles down an empty interstate without black ice.....

Dressing warm isn't hard. It's just expensive if you're jumping right in. I probably have as many coats, jackets, and sweatshirts as you have t-shirts. I also don't own a single pair of shorts, as jeans or carhartt's are best 99% of the year.