• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

St.Michael

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2008
Ohio
Ok guys, here is the thing. I have "heard" that the secondary weapon to a sniper should be a pistol. So I am wondering, if they do carry a pistol, WHERE do you carry it? thigh rig? belt holster? on a vest? I haven't been able to find ANY info about this at all. I was going to get a thigh rig but it seems not only to be a bit too flashy but I also don't know if you can crawl around with it on. Any help advice or knowledge on this subject would be nice. Thanks. It's been driving me insane for a couple of months.

Re: Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

Thigh rigs are much more comfortable and allow easier access, in my experience.

Practical for what? It isn't concealed, but it is what I used to qualify some time ago. It stays comfortable in standing, sitting, and prone positions. Complete your profile.

Thigh Rig!!

well, I just wanted to know the general consensus. I guess thigh right it is And what ya mean complete my profile? Please explain. If i missed something i will fix it. oh military for sure.

I can confirm that the mall ninjas use a leapers type thigh rigs, they are all to willing to chat you up at the gun shows. He cought me looking at a Super Sniper at his booth. The price tag on there said $550. I asked where he got this and why it was so expensive. Told me that it came off a M40 and that its a collectors item. Nuff said.

• Haha
Reactions: aljones_315

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mall ninjas, He cought me looking at a Super Sniper at his booth. The price tag on there said $550. I asked where he got this and why it was so expensive. <span style="font-weight: bold">Told me that it came off a M40 and that its a <span style="text-decoration: underline">collectors item</span>. </span> Nuff said.

</div></div>

Priceless, what a tool

I've got extra butter. And buttermilk!
grin.gif

Since a military sniper rarely comes closer than 100 M from his target, a sidearm isn't really that useful. I think it is for when subsequent rounds, an air strike, his spotter's M16, and attempts to GTF out of there fail and his is wounded. It is to shoot himself rather than appear on video getting decapitated. That is what you were asking about, wasn't it?

My stuff>Profile>Edit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since a military sniper rarely comes closer than 100 M from his target, a sidearm isn't really that useful.</div></div>

really... this sounds prophetic maybe it needs to be a sticky.

:popcorn:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IsleofGough</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since a military sniper rarely comes closer than 100 M from his target, a sidearm isn't really that useful. I think it is for when subsequent rounds, an air strike, his spotter's M16, and attempts to GTF out of there fail and his is wounded. It is to shoot himself rather than appear on video getting decapitated. That is what you were asking about, wasn't it?

My stuff>Profile>Edit </div></div>

LMAO!!! That is the funniest shit I've heard! Thanls for that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IsleofGough</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since a military sniper rarely comes closer than 100 M from his target, a sidearm isn't really that useful. I think it is for when subsequent rounds, an air strike, his spotter's M16, and attempts to GTF out of there fail and his is wounded. It is to shoot himself rather than appear on video getting decapitated. That is what you were asking about, wasn't it?

And here I thought the pills, were for taking your own life,... Damn, nice to learn the net is where it's at, for that missing block of instruction.

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">WTF</span></span>

I carry mine on a thigh rig but don't like it there. Depending on where you position yourself it can scoop up dirt or snag. I don't wear a LBV so I will eventually place it on my belt.

Ok. I don't mind thread jokes at all, but this wasn't supposed to be a really big joke or anything. I was simply asking where do military snipers carry their side arms. If they don't then that should have been the answer from everyone. I am new here and unimpressed by the jokes. Simply because the lack of educated answers makes me wonder if this isn't just a waste of time. I hope it isn't as I have seen some very good info on the site. So does anyone who has REAL training actually know? SOrry if the question was not specific enough. No disrespect.

Well since have said thigh I guess thigh it is. Anyone have any thoughts on the Safariland 6004?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have "heard" that the secondary weapon to a sniper should be a pistol. So I am wondering, if they do carry a pistol, WHERE do you carry it? thigh rig? belt holster? on a vest? I haven't been able to find ANY info about this at all.

I was going to get a thigh rig but it seems not only to be a bit too flashy but I also don't know if you can crawl around with it on. Any help advice or knowledge on this subject would be nice. Thanks. It's been driving me insane for a couple of months. </div></div>

Ok, I was gonna let this slide, but since you obviously didnt appreciate my MOLLE thong...

WTF does it matter to you? Based on the above, you've heard that sidearms are carried, but dont know where - telling me you have zero fucking training. Then, a few seconds later, you mention that you're thinkin about getting a thigh rig, but it might hinder your crawling? What crawling are you going to be doing exactly? Mall ninja, knock it the fuck off. Lemme guess, gonna get a thigh rig and tell everyone down at the local range how you used to be a sniper? "Hey, look, I got the equipment to prove it!"

Since we all know you wont be "sniping," then why do you carry what is carried or how?

Now, if you have holster questions, ask them. But, lose the fucking 'tude before you do. Plenty of us on here have plenty of training, and also have the resulting lack of patience with dipshit questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well since have said thigh I guess thigh it is. Anyone have any thoughts on the Safariland 6004? </div></div>

I like the 6004's, they offer good protection and retention, and the draw can be fast, I read over on lightfighter.com to raise it up and shitcan the top strap, I did this and like it alot better.

I agree the 6004 is a great holster, I used one for my M9, but if you plan to crawl around or wear it for extended periods, a soft sided holster might be best. The 6004 is great tactical holster in that offers great retention, quick presentations, and solid durability. However it is also hard and sticks out quite a bit that can lead it to being uncomfortable and a snag hazard if crawling for any distance. If you do get a soft sided holster try to find one that also has a cover flap that will further protect the pistol from dirt and debris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have "heard" that the secondary weapon to a sniper should be a pistol. So I am wondering, if they do carry a pistol, WHERE do you carry it? thigh rig? belt holster? on a vest? I haven't been able to find ANY info about this at all.

I was going to get a thigh rig but it seems not only to be a bit too flashy but I also don't know if you can crawl around with it on. Any help advice or knowledge on this subject would be nice. Thanks. It's been driving me insane for a couple of months. </div></div>

Ok, I was gonna let this slide, but since you obviously didnt appreciate my MOLLE thong...

WTF does it matter to you? Based on the above, you've heard that sidearms are carried, but dont know where - telling me you have zero fucking training. Then, a few seconds later, you mention that you're thinkin about getting a thigh rig, but it might hinder your crawling? What crawling are you going to be doing exactly? Mall ninja, knock it the fuck off. Lemme guess, gonna get a thigh rig and tell everyone down at the local range how you used to be a sniper? "Hey, look, I got the equipment to prove it!"

Since we all know you wont be "sniping," then why do you carry what is carried or how?

Now, if you have holster questions, ask them. But, lose the fucking 'tude before you do. Plenty of us on here have plenty of training, and also have the resulting lack of patience with dipshit questions.

</div></div>

That's right I have no training idiot. Pay attention. I also never claimed to be a sniper. I also could be crawling around in the woods while hunting. From your lame ass response and your flame I am guessing you have ZERO training also, as you avoided the actual question all together. What does owning a thigh rig have to do with sniping anyway? You don't even make sense. Please keep your worthless information to yourself. If I want some keyboard Commando tips from you I will ask. Thanks big guy, but I am here to learn information about snipers not about interweb Super soldiers.
grin.gif

Reactions: bschneiderheinze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. I don't mind thread jokes at all, but this wasn't supposed to be a really big joke or anything. </div></div>

My post was'nt directed at you. Go back and check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. I don't mind thread jokes at all, but this wasn't supposed to be a really big joke or anything. </div></div>

My post was'nt directed at you. Go back and check. </div></div>

It's ok if it was I just wanted info with it also.
wink.gif

I think the attitude doesn't become you, St. Michael the Archangel of Heaven. You got your answers and some jokes and as has been mentioned: if you one day become a sniper or join the military you will be taught everything you need to know (and won't have a choice of equipment). I'm done with this thread.

• Haha

What attitude? It is ridiculous to get flamed when I ask an actual question. If I didn't ask then I would have to go based on video games and Tom Beringer movies. Let me rephrase as I think the question was missed.

I am not a sniper or anything like that and I was wondering if REAL trained USMC snipers carry side arms in the field. I read the 93 confirmed kills book about Carlos and noticed he never had any kind of handgun. Is this how it really is or was for military trained sharp shooters.

That better understood?

I'm a Military trained Jet Mechanic, I guess the only real firearms training I ever received was in basic training at Lakland AFB, and it shows, oh well. Too think snipers even Sgt Hathcock don't carry sidearms is stupid, he had a 1911 on his belt, today's HOG's have M9's, a bolt action rifle in a CQB situation is suicide, most will also have a M16/M4 with them also, the major difference between us and them is we can use whatever we can afford, they use whats issued. Go to a sniper match and shoot, see what everyone is using and what there not using, then find what works for you in your price range.

Try looking through the photos in the Tactical Competition forum. You should be able to see how the sidearm is carried.

I have a bazooka in my pants; a block of C4 and razor wire in my ass just in case I am taken prisoner.

Lw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's right I have no training idiot. Pay attention. I also never claimed to be a sniper. I also could be crawling around in the woods while hunting. From your lame ass response and your flame I am guessing you have ZERO training also, as you avoided the actual question all together. What does owning a thigh rig have to do with sniping anyway? You don't even make sense. Please keep your worthless information to yourself. If I want some keyboard Commando tips from you I will ask. Thanks big guy, but I am here to learn information about snipers not about interweb Super soldiers.
grin.gif
</div></div>

First of all... Stand down Newb.. & tread lightly.

You have no idea who you are speaking to. You have a little too much attitude & a little too thin skin to be runnin your suck.

Your approach should have been a lot more humble that it has been.

Sit back... watch... read...learn.. and let the men talk. Then, once you have absorbed and heeded may you open your mouth.

You can't just jump in the ring with Ali 'cause you think you can box bud...

-Wil

It ain't tacticool, but if you need to carry a pistol in a secure holster that will keep it clean and ready, it's hard to beat the issue Bianchi UM84I Universal Military Holster.

Reactions: Soulezoo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's right I have no training idiot. Pay attention. I also never claimed to be a sniper. I also could be crawling around in the woods while hunting. From your lame ass response and your flame I am guessing you have ZERO training also, as you avoided the actual question all together. What does owning a thigh rig have to do with sniping anyway? You don't even make sense. Please keep your worthless information to yourself. If I want some keyboard Commando tips from you I will ask. Thanks big guy, but I am here to learn information about snipers not about interweb Super soldiers.
grin.gif
</div></div>

First of all... Stand down Newb.. & tread lightly.

You have no idea who you are speaking to. You have a little to much attitude & a little too thin skin to be runnin your suck.

Your approach should have been a lot more humble that it has been.

Sit back... watch... read...learn.. and let the men talk. Then, once you have absorbed and heeded may you open your mouth.

You can't just jump in the ring with Ali 'cause you think you can box bud...

-Wil
</div></div>

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!! OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Bitch slapped back to pre-school!

• Love

Well, you ask what kind of holster snipers carry, then in the next breath mention that you're buying a holster. Sounds to me like you want to buy what the big boys use, hence my comment.

Really? Crawling around for hunting? You find that to be very sucessful? I hope that was a shitty attempt at sarcasm.

As for my training, your tax dollars issued me my first rig 10 years ago. Its also been paying for my training ever since. Wise investment on your part, if I say so myself.
laugh.gif

Now, IF it was an honest question, then yes to all of the above. In country, Ive seen guys use both thigh rigs, vest-attached systems, and belt attached holsters. It depends on mission requirements. Not every mission ends in a Hollywood-cool stalk with the last click being slow-crawled. (Truth be told, only 1 in 10 real world missions even involve Tom Berringer)

Before I go back to dicking around with my Labrador, sorry for jumping your shit. I had mall ninja stuck in my head today after couple of hours at the range with a supreme fucktard one lane over from me all day today running his manpleaser all afternoon.

As for the 6004, I fucking loathe it. It's a personal thing with zero basis behind it other than I do not like the rotating hood. I believe in the KISS principle and I believe in Murphy's Law. Both of those are at odds with a mechanical thingamajig that could well stand between me and my sidearm when I need it. That hood fucks up realtime, and you're a bulletsponge.

Want a thigh rig, start here:

http://www.londonbridgetrading.com/m1webgear/ProductSearch.aspx?Class=THIGH

supreme fucktard one lane over from me all day today running his manpleaser all afternoon.

That is awesome.

Ok well no offense to all you guys, but I take pride in learning things. I am not military and can't be. I am not Sf or anything else. I am not govt. What I am is a person who wants to learn. Simple as that. So sorry if I take offense when I get on a forum and get flamed when all I am doing is asking a question because I don't know. Simple as that. I also don't take kindly to people who sit on forums just to knock people who don't know any better. No offense.

bro...

It's not the questions you ask(ed)... It's the manner in which they were presented & the attitude that came along with the responses...

Folks here have put in enough time, and should not have to deal with such things.

Just coast a while. Be cool... read..learn... relax

You will get a feel for the personalities here, as well as the many different humor styles...

St. Michael,

I am still new to these threads as well so take my words as you wish. Your comments regarding lack of experience on these forums is beginning to get sand in my man-gina. A good sum of personel here are serving your this country. Now I realize people of all differents shapes and sizes miander over to these forums in quest of knowledge, but keep in mind that a lot of those people come to snipers hide because of the wealth of knowledge via IN COUNTRY EXPERIENCE.

A good god damn chunk (not a nibble) of your responders here are/were in fact military, and have good and solid advice to give. So when you come in here, as a new member there is a common curtosy to be humble and quiet. You have done neither. On the other hand, the majority of your responders..being military(oh and have had "REAL" military training) HAVE been humble, and nice enough not to make you look like a complete jackass and begin to throw credentials at you like monkeys throwin' shit at zoo-goers.

Why? Well I believe its because (and correct me if I am wrong) we are not here to impress you. I see that you are not impressed with their humor. I dont think they care.

I am an E-2. That makes me one pay grade above dirt. I am gravel, and with that awsome responsibility of E-2ness I am to be humble during all interactions of those who are superior to me, or I do not know much about.

If you were offended by any of this, that is not my intention. My intention is to just give a bit of advice which will hopefully help you be just that more successful while engaging in a conversation here on the 'hide. Your question would have continued to be answered politely if you did not sprout a dick from your forehead and talked through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lucky308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am an E-2. That makes me one pay grade above dirt. I am gravel, and with that awsome responsibility of E-2ness I am to be humble during all interactions of those who are superior to me, or I do not know much about.</div></div>

That's cute and all, but don't cut yourself short like that.
___
St. Michael,

Do you really need a thigh rig?

Wouldn't a nice belt mounted holster suffice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IsleofGough</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (and won't have a choice of equipment) </div></div>

That is 100% wrong,... once your alive, most all equipment/gear needed and placement for your mission is your choice. All thats ASS-U-ME-ING your not a Foxy-I,..if you are, then your world, is not yours, yet.

our battalion snipers carry the issued serpa leg holsters, im not a big fan of them i think they are good for here. but in the woods or stalking, the plastic is loud, and i think the button is gonna get pushed and itll fall out and drag by the lanyard. ive used the safarilands before and they are good holsters, again in urban envirorment. at home i carry my 1911 in the blackhawk special operation nylon holster. it has the standard nylon button fasteners and then has a flap that folds over the top and buckles down, with a strap that goes against your thigh, its a fixed length too so it rides way above your cargo pocket, very comfortable. very protective. comes in od green, black and tan if im not mistaken and i agree with above, everyone in my company uses pretty much whatever gear we want. not many use the issued pouches, most get their own chest rigs, and such. its all your preference, some units sops are pretty strict, but from what i have seen, is you use what you want

I don't really want to get a thigh holster. They are in my opinion to slow to draw from. Pulling your sidearm from a belt holster can much much faster. I guess that's the answer then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not military and can't be. </div></div>

Can't?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really want to get a thigh holster. They are in my opinion to slow to draw from. Pulling your sidearm from a belt holster can much much faster. I guess that's the answer then.</div></div>

Well, if it's slower than a belt holster, the thigh holster is too low. It should be possible to place a full firing grip on the pistol without having to dip your shoulder or lock out your elbow.

A properly fitted thigh holster should place the grip of the weapon at the same height as your hand when you're standing with your arms relaxed and your shoulder level.

I'm just as fast from my 6004 as I am from my belt holster.

Reactions: MK20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vulcan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not military and can't be. </div></div>

Can't?

</div></div>

I am a single dad.