• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do you get your good quality ammo from?

TexasEric

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
I have only shot Fed gold medal match in my rifle. The one exception resulted in a blown primer. I had to fish metal out of my chamber for 2 days to get my bolt back into battery, and open my rifle. Freedom Munitions seems to be going out of their way to make things right.
I am looking for a good source to get Fed gold match a bit cheaper or get another quality factory ammo such as Horandy Tap or BTHP in cost effective manner. The cheapest I have seen the gold medal match is $1.10 a round for a case of 500.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...-medal-match-175gr-bthp-sierra-matchking-ammo

I have not shot the Hornady, I am guessing it is about the same accuracy wise as femme. Let me know if this is flawed thinking.

Finally I got a recommendation from a very trusted source for hirtenberger 168 BTHP. I have seen the 145/146 FMJ, but not 168 BTHP. Have you guys seen or heard of it before?

What are you smoking? You do know that dope is bad for you don't you??

What are you smoking? You do know that dope is bad for you don't you??
How, in any way is that comment helpful?
I want to learn how to get GOOD ammo at a cheaper price. How is that ignorant? As long as it is quality ammo, what is wrong at looking for a lower price. I am asking where you guys go to get factory ammo in hopes of finding a good source.

Check out Prime ammo. Quality components and strict tolerances at a reasonable price. Sd under 10fps in the multiple tests I've run with my cheap chrony and great groups. Also the once fired brass can be sold for a premium. The 6.5 creedmoor brass comes from Norma.

TargetsportsUSA.com has 168 and 175 cases of 200 for 1$ per round and free shipping.

Not as good as palmetto, but it's another option.

At target sports USA If you reduce the cost of shipping, because it's free, it may drop your cost per round about 10-15 cents.

TargetsportsUSA.com has 168 and 175 cases of 200 for 1$ per round and free shipping.

Not as good as palmetto, but it's another option.

At target sports USA If you reduce the cost of shipping, because it's free, it may drop your cost per round about 10-15 cents.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the good tips, I have saved all the sites mentioned. Once my family and I are owning our next home there will be a room for reloading. Right now it is not practical, as we are renting in an apartment.

Feel free to chime in with more sites

I've had good luck with Targetsports, Mile High, Sportsman Warehouse, and PSA. FGMM, Hornady, and have had good results with Atomic Match, HPR Match, and even Colt Match ammo (loaded by Double Tap I think).... Also find good deals at pawn shops every now and then.

ammoseek.com is another good tool to search for ammo.

The deals are out there. I think PSA's sale on 168 gr FGMM is over (it was $15.99 a box w/ free shipping with 10 or more boxes). Lots of forums post deals, you just have to be on the lookout.

Jtake has the same advice I'll give you. Ammoseek doesn't include EVERY place to get ammo but it lists some of the best deals.

Actually my good ammo grows in the garage/shop (two adjoining/divided spaces under an adjoining/separate roof from the house). There don't seem to be a lot of basements here in Southeast Arizona.

Right now, local high temps and very low humidity are discouraging me from making ammo. Our high temps have been running 100-110 for the past month or so, and there's no relief in sight. No A/C out there, but it's nowhere near as hot there indoors.

When I get a static shock (several per hour) it's intense enough that I can feel the hairs on my arms jump up. I'm not up for handling powder or primers while that's going on. Monsoon rains are due for early July, and that should finally put a stop to the Arizona wild fires.

Celia and Elena went up to Phoenix last week so Elena could catch Van's Warp Tour. Celia reported temps as high as 122.

Greg

Last edited: