• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Where do you keep your stamps?

mheimer_45

Life’s tougher if your stupid
Minuteman
May 19, 2013
NW Kansas
Hello all, got my first suppressor in this week. Guy at the LGS said to have a copy of the stamp on you at all times. Friend I coyote hunt with keeps his copies in the buttstocks of every ar his can fits on. I plan to keep copies in any vehicles I drive(my own, and work vehicles). My current coyote rig doesn’t have an a2 stock or a grip to hide things.

For an example if I’m in a friends vehicle with no copy of the stamp am I screwed? Are cell phone pics of said stamp legit enough to warrant a follow to current copy of the stamp? Or do I not worry about it and keep the original in the safe?

We are talking western Kansas here. Not highly populated and I know the local game warden.

What do you guys do?

Does your copy on the phone act in the same way as a paper copy? I asked my dealer and his reply was “I don’t want to give you bad advice”.

Some people say it depends on the mood of who pulls you over, checks your license.

Does your copy on the phone act in the same way as a paper copy? I asked my dealer and his reply was “I don’t want to give you bad advice”.

Some people say it depends on the mood of who pulls you over, checks your license.

Yes. The ATF doesnt provide you a hard copy for efiled approvals. They email you your approved form with the stamp in the box...

I have a secure folder on my personal OneDrive that has my trust and all of my approved form 1's and form 4's.

I keep a copy in my wallet, truck and gun stock/case. Original in the safe.

I keep a copy in my wallet, truck and gun stock/case. Original in the safe.

I’ve lost to many damn wallets on the farm to carry a wallet anymore. I don’t even carry a hunting license. I have my phone with DL in the case, a knife, and a can of chew.

Reactions: lawofsavage
How many times have you been pulled over by the ATF? From my understanding the police have no say in the matter. I’d be curious to know how many people here have ever had an ATF agent ask to see their tax stamp?

How many times have you been pulled over by the ATF? From my understanding the police have no say in the matter. I’d be curious to know how many people here have ever had an ATF agent ask to see their tax stamp?

So you get pulled over by a state trooper on his way home from a 12 hour shift he can’t do anything about it? I’m not going to be an ass to him but if he asked I will show him paperwork. What happens if I can not provide it?

I’m asking because this is all new to me. And yes I’ve read my state laws. I’m just curious about the grey areas.

Prison purse for sure.

In all seriousness, original in the safe & I’ve got copies shrunk down to business card size in my wallet & gun cases as well.

I keep the original in my safe and a scanned copy on my phone.

^easy solution

There are only 2 agencies that can actually demand a NFA tax stamp from you, the BATFE and, surprisingly, the IRS---it's a tax document. No one else can demand paperwork on your NFA items, including LE.

However, are you willing to take a ride downtown with an agitated LE you told to "pound sand" and hope everything gets sorted out promptly while you wait in a safe containment area as they attempt to get information on how to handle you and your paperwork from the bosses or another government agency? You'll win eventually, but all your equipment will be inventoried during arrest and treated who knows how well during the process. You are in the right but I prefer to pick my battles, so I have a copy of paperwork with me when using NFA items.

Also, some ranges will not let you use their lanes without you having paperwork with you---your call if you want to do business with them or not over that, but it is their range, their rules and well within their rights. I draw the line at making copies of my paperwork, that wont happen as I'll go elsewhere.

With all that said, I've never seen ATF at any range, and the curios LE I've encountered (twice) just want to check out things from a personal viewpoint and not as a "I'm LE and you need to show me papers" perspective.

I think people overthink this.

In over 20 years of NFA ownership (SBR’s, MG’s, suppressors), shooting on private land, BLM land, National Forests, and public ranges, I have not once ever been asked to produce a copy of one of my forms. Nor do I know anyone who has.

I am skeptical that your average cop would even know what he was looking at if you showed him a Form 1 or Form 4.

Original in a safe...couple of laminated copies in: gun cases and truck. Just loaded an image up on my phone as well. If you think about it, almost no one, when asked to show paperwork is going to show an original. If the boys at the range want to see your paperwork and it's on your phone, email it to them on the spot. The range printer is the same as the 8 1/2 x 11 copy you'd show them anyway.

Originals are in clear page protectors in a binder in my safe. I have pictures of them in my Google drive account for access if needed

At least one of my devices has no original. All electronic. Got a PDF of it they sent. The one real one is super fun though. It's a stamp!

Anyway, despite the near-zero chance of anyone asking for paperwork, I keep a photocopy in the gun bags. Also need interstate transport authorization for the SBR, so that is updated annually, and it all goes in a red fabric zippered envelope I got somewhere or other once. Full pile with me.

We have a fire safe of paperwork. Originals and printouts of everything not-ever-paper in there as well.

Copy on waterproof paper in the drag bag, original at home.

Been asked twice for paperwork for my SBR:

1) off-duty LEO trying to flex in front of our match group (carbine match), asked to see my paperwork. Told him I would show him if there was an official reason he needed it....didn’t go anywhere from there.

2) range demanded I show paperwork to shoot in a lane and my photocopy was fine for that.

Originals in my safe and copies in zip lock baggies in my range bag. Range owner verifies serial numbers with stamps. His property--his rules. I have no issue with it. Only person who has asked to see them. I read the regulations and BATF and IRS are the only agencies who have any authority to request to see your stamps. However, I agree I am not going to pick an argument with a local LE officer if he/she wants to see them. I'm getting too old for needless excitement.

The ATF and IRS are.the only ones that can enforce the NFA. They are.not the only ones that can request to see your approved form. It varies from state to state. Lots of states have state laws making it illegal to possess sbr, sbs, silencers and machine guns. Your only legal if you have an approved form. Cops can request to see your approved form to ensure youre complying with state laws...

Know your state laws...

originals in fireproof safe, copies in a ziploc bag in my Armageddon Gear hot pocket. It has a nice side pouch to put the papers in, and also my hellfire wrench.

Also, I do know someone who was asked to produce paperwork at a range. So it can happen, but is also super rare.

All but one is in digital form so I don’t bother because they are easy enough to pull off the ATF site on every day but Wednesday. The one that isn’t I haven’t seen since I brought the can home but it’s probably in the safe somewhere.

Originals in the safe, copy in the truck. If I need more than that I’m in trouble. Got my first stamp 12 years ago and have never been asked to show proof that I have one.