• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do you like your flush cups?

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
I'm working on one of my old family hunting rifles, refinishing, beding, pillars. Its a wood stock on a mossberg 800 and there isnt an option for anything aftermarket.

I pulled the sling studs out to sand a little and though I might as well install some flush cups. I've never really used them though. I've got a few questions, but first I'll tell you want I'd like to do with them.

I want to carry the gun, obviously, and probably be able to use it as support when I can't find anything else to rest on while hunting. I also want to keep my bipod the sling stud its connected to.

First question - which cups are you guys using? The fully threaded McMillan's seems nice, but once they're in they won't be coming out.

Second - full rotation or limited rotation? Or maybe a combo depending on location?

Third - locations, I'm right handed, so I'm figuring front and back on the left side and probably front and back on the bottom, sound good? Should I put one on the right side front too? That way I've got options for sling locations.

Thanks, everyone.

Definitely limited rotation. I’ve found full rotation QDs just tangle your sling up while limited gives you just enough rotation as to not mess anything up while retaining comfort.

I suppose placement is personal preference. I like all left side (right handed). I know Frank and a lotta others prefer the front QD front right and back left assuming a RH shooter.

If I had it my way, all my QDs would be left side, ~3” in front of the action face and and one behind the tang on both sides. Set up my ARs like this and really like it, not the greatest for using the sling in a traditional shooting role though.

That seems really close together. I'll have to do experimenting with my ARs and see what I like, they've got them molded/machined in all over the damn place.

Yeah, to be fair, bolt guns are both left side, far forward and far rear. Pretty standard.

Having the sling close together allows me to maneuver an AR better for me. Others may differ.

My hunting rifle has them on the left side only and they are fully rotational. I have two problems with them. 1st: They always tangle the sling. 2nd: They force the scope into my hunting pack. If they were on the bottom it would hold my rifle along side my pack better. However if by chance I leave my pack in the truck then it does help to have them on the side.

I'm so used to carrying with a traditional sling mounted to the bottom, I'm sure I'll do that, but I think I'd like the left side mounts too. By the time I'm done messing with this thing it will be more steel and epoxy than the original wood.