• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Where does 3.5-15x50 NXS fall in today’s market/options?

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
It has been out for years now. How does it stack up against today’s options in the $1500 price range? The glass and eye box comments is what I would like to focus the conversation on. I have a vortex 3-15x lht razor maybe compare to that or give an example of a comparable scope. I am looking for a hunting scope, but have never had the chance to look through one. Every review I can find is really old. Also considering the 2.5-10x one if anyone has comments on that one. I really like the lht razor, but reliability/confidence is what I am looking to add and feel this will give me that.

My .02, heavy and glass not so great. . Reliability, top of the heap. Eyebox good. Two main qualities that are significant. Lots to choose from since these were more current.

I had 2 back in the day. Decent glass and good eye box. Not sure I’d pay $1500 for one unless it was a first focal that was going on a hunting rig. By today’s standards they’re not heavy. 30oz

Reliable, repeatable, eye box is good, clicks are good, zero stop is easy to set. Glass quality: I prefer it over the razor g2 I had but it's not atacr or s&b quality. That said I've never felt I needed more glass quality to shoot what I wanted.

had a C527 for a while. great scope. sold it and upgraded to a x42 atacr. I like it even more. same weight and 2 inches shorter

Reliable, repeatable, eye box is good, clicks are good, zero stop is easy to set. Glass quality: I prefer it over the razor g2 I had but it's not atacr or s&b quality. That said I've never felt I needed more glass quality to shoot what I wanted.
I've had one for ~10 or so years mar longer. I agree with the above but I do use my ATACR 5-25X56 for longer distances.

I have a 3.5-15 NXS and I still like it but there are better options now. My XTR3 and 4.5-22 LHT are better optically but not by much. The kicker is all their other features though. That’s where the NXS is lacking. I’m really surprised NF still offers them although the NXS versions have been limited quite a bit.

I have the 2.5-10x42. Saying i have a love hate relationship with it would be a bit harsh, because I don't hate it. It's so close to being great that it reminds me of it all the time. My biggest gripe with the 2.5-10 is that it's not 15x on the higher magnification side.

The glass is good enough to shoot steel out to 1,150yds and it definitely earned the Nightforce pedigree. I'd assume the 3.5-15 is no different. I have complete confidence in the brand and they have been my main hunting scopes. When I need them they don't fail.

I have a NXS 2.5-10x42 and NX8 2.5-20 on my hunting rifles. I recently picked up a ATACR 4-16x42 to replace the NXS 2.5-10x42 , but after mounting it I'll probably keep the 2.5-10x42. The size difference is substantial, and the NXS holds up against the ATACR for a hunting optic.

The nxs 2.5x10 is 20 ounces. You really can’t find a scope with the features and the quality at 20 ounces. I have several of them and a bunch of atacr. The atacr definitely has better glass but the nxs still holds its own. I don’t have a 3x15 so I can’t comment.
In my opinion the 2.5x10 nxs and the 4x16 Atacr stand out above the rest.

Reactions: Thorbeast
A8FD4188-1417-4BDF-B79D-73B5CC418DAF.jpeg

Still wish I had my F1. It really is a great optic.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
You shouldn't be paying 1500 for a 3-15 NXS. The SFP models go for 1000-1200 all the time (used, not new).

The 2.5x10x42 is a dependable, 20 oz scope. If you want a 20oz, mid-power, mil/mil scope reliable tracking/turrets, there aren't many other options.

I think the 4-16 ATACR is a much better scope than the 3-15, same weight, better IQ, only slightly more expensive, better reticles (IMO). I agree with the poster who said the 4-16 stands out. It's a sweetheart of a scope, one of the few I've never considered replacing.