• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where does a guy start?

Dirtdigger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
South Dakota
After reading till i'm cross eyed i figured i'd sit down with a pen and paper and try to figure out what i all need to start reloading. I have a problem over thinking everything, thats just me, but after hrs the page is almost blank.

I really want to do this right and i don't mind spending money on the good stuff, but i'm having a hard time figuring out what i actually need and what someone more advanced would need. I guess if i get something and don't use it for awhile thats ok.

I'm starting with two diff cal 308 and 223, i know i want micro meter seating dies from x,y,z manufacturer. Other than that that i'm lost with the mountain of different stuff to get.

I would like an electric power thrower, digital scale, drill press for a wft or possum hollow trimmer.

Basically is there a thread with what you guys use, or a hey newbie buy this if you want to do it right thread? Someone somewhere has to have put it all down?

Is doc's sticky the hey newbie buy this if you want to do it right thread?

If someone is bored a nice detailed list would be great, but i don't expect anyone to give a shit that much. Anything would help as i'm confused as hell....

Re: Where does a guy start?

I would definately consult Doc76251's sticky thread, as it helped me years ago when I had the same sorts of questions. In fact, I had the same questions, almost verbatim.

I went with RCBS stuff, haven't had a single issue with any piece of reloading equipment save for the digital calipers (invest in extra batteries, they'll die when you need them the most).

Honestly, for all the equipment you want, I'd just shop around and pick and choose--I haven't heard anything terrible about any manufacturers' equipment, RCBS, Lyman, etc.

I did this and have been happily reloading ever since.

For starting out I would just worry about getting the basic stuff and load for awhile to see what YOU need. What works for some people may not work best for you.

I say what you "need" depends on how much you shoot.

Just pick up an rcbs or hornady single stage starter kit and have at it. 90% of what you need to get going will be in that box. You could even go with a (GASP!!) lee challenger kit to get going. You will find what you need as you go. Everyone kinda forms thier own opinions on things and you haven't started to decide if you have to have a power charge thrower or digital scale yet. Myself, I just can't make myself buy digital readout calipers when my standard calipers work fine. I do run a hornady autocharge, but I loaded with a thrower and beam scale for a long time first. My presses are single stage for the rifles and progressive for the blasters. BTW, one of those presses is a lee, not built as heavy as the others but still works fine. Start out with a kit and build from there, but only change what YOU think you need to change, not what all the internet master loaders think you need..

I bought the Lee challenger kit when I first started. I loved it, I still have it. I believe a cheap single stage press kit is the way to go to start loading. I think it starts you on the basics and helps you pay attention to the small, important things. I vote get the lee challenger kit, a set of dies, a digital scale, and a caliper. Thats what got me started. It was all I needed to get going, and although it has taken me further than I ever thought, it was worth the $150 investment. It can make very accurate ammo too... IDK why people do not like it, I have had very good results with that setup. Good luck.

+1 for RCBS! Quality products and excellent customer service IF you ever need it. First, I must say to try and locate a reloading manual and read it from front to back. Try to get a thorough understanding of how and why things are done. After that Id recommend purchasing the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. It come with the Press, Powder thrower & resevoir, 505 Scale, Trim Pro, Case lube & pad, Speer reloading manual, and several other things. IMO this kit is a good place for a beginner to start. After that you could get the RCBS Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim-Mate Case Prep Center, and RCBS Case Master if you want to get serious and check things like neck concentricity and bullet run out. I also highly recommend you buy a hand priming device because it provides a better feeling for seating your primer. Also you will need to acquire a reloading manual for every bullet manufacturer you plan to use because each manufacture will call for a completely different recipe. If you have any questions, and I can help you PM me and I would be more then glad to help you with what I know

It might help if you break it down to the steps you go through to reload. IE- get home from range: clean brass with TUMBLER. Lube cases - CASE LUBE AND LOADING BLOCK. Size and deprime cases - PRESS AND DIES. You get the idea. Just read through the stickies at the top and figure out the must haves vs the nice to haves. Don't forget to budget in your first run of components. Good luck and read a lot before getting started.

Do not overlook Redding. Most seem to prefer it to RCBS. Also do not overlook used equiptment. I would also suggest not getting to fancy to start with. Many take it up then quit for some reason. You may not like it. Avoid power this, digital that. Basic=good for beginner, and not too bad for expirenced either.
Try to find a local guy with expirence to mentor you.

Good luck
Richard

<span style="font-style: italic">"I say what you "need" depends on how much you shoot."</span>

Roger that. And WHAT you shoot, and how good you shoot. And what your goals really are for the ammo you will make.

It takes a lot fewer tools than some of us love to make good ammo for any purpose. All brands produce good stuff so you can't go wrong with any of it IF it's properly chosen and used for the purposes it's made for. Like; don't buy a progressivw press if you're just learning, don't buy a little Lee Reloader press if you're going to load for a .338 mag and don't bother with costly dies if you're just learning. And don't buy a costly high volume case trimmer or electronic scale or digital powder dumpster if you're going to be a low volume shooter, etc.

So far as mic head dies go, I can tell you that the mics are user convienences, they don't add a thing to the quality of ammo you can make with them. And ONLY Forster & Redding BR/Comp dies really help the average quality of rifle ammo anyway. It will be a long time before you can tell any difference from standard dies because the actual 'on target' differences aren't great. And you and your rig will BOTH have to be quite accurate before there is any visible difference on target at all.

I could tell you what I like but your needs will likely be different from mine. So, I suggest you start basic and learn the ropes. If/when you outgrow what you start with you will know it and have the experience to know what new tools you may actually want. And you'll also have some knowledge to work from rather than trying to be like aomeone else.

The first thing you need is a good reloading book,it will explain everything you need to know about reloading and equipment and load data. Welcome to reloading.
smile.gif

Start with minimum. Add features as you get good with what you already have. I have found over the decades that keeping it basic and simple is better for me in the long run; each of the bells and whistles can help, but overall, they simply slow you down, and doing the basics really right gives one the best bang for the buck in the long run.

I would maybe argue that if I had a crystal ball back then, I'd be suggesting you go long and buy the Dillon RL550B at the getgo. It's what most of us would end up with anyway, so buy once, cry once, and get that doodah over with at the beginning.

Greg

DO NOT look for the best equipment. Look for what is best for YOU! I've owned more expensive equipment, but I now have lesser expensive equipment. As one's reloading knowledge and discipline evolves, you'll find that YOU are capable of doing without the latest greatest gadget.

Check out these videos on youtube that I made. My suggestion is don't try and do it all at once. The equipment you see in the video is the basic RCBS starter kit. That is ALL you need to start reloading. Everything else is extra. For example you probably won't need to trim cases immediately. Eventually you will so add that on later. Get your feet wet with the basics and then you'll ease yourself into the EVERYTHING part later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LttBArZc...ture=plpp_video

RCBS Press
RCBS digital scale
Uniflow RCBS Powder thrower
RCBS Hand Priming tool
Dies and shell holder
powder funnel
Book (s) my favorite is the sierra but most used is the horandy.

If you are going to do rifle first
Lube and pad
stuck case extractor (especially for .223)
Also, read before you buy on rifle dies. bolt guns and semi-autos use different types of dies. I strongly recommend starting with handgun calibers first.

Tumbler + media

Pick a caliber to start with that isn't hard or one you shoot the most.
For me my favorite is .45 acp. Easy, fun, I shoot it the most, and I save the most by loading.
.308 is not bad, you certainly save a lot and it's a fun one to develop.

Worst one I've ever loaded... 5.7x28mm. Huge pain, very small amount of data, super thin brass.. didn't trust a damn thing I loaded.
I hate loading .223 as well, I always get a stuck case. loading boat tails isn't bad but flat base bullets are a pain unless you bevel the neck first.

Everyone is different with the setup they use and load. I hope it helps.. getting started can be a bit overwhelming but it really is worth it if you have the right mindset for it. I have a lot of fun on my loading bench. I setup a little tv or put on some music and just press away a couple hours at a time. If you do decide to start loading do it for the fun and not just to save money, get scientific with your data and really work up some good stuff, that part is a ton of fun. Be safe, start at the bottom of each load chart and work up. double check everything. Take nothing to chance and you will have a life long hobby and skill that can consume more of your money and time
wink.gif

I'm copying this directly from what I just wrote in another thread. I'm just getting started myself.

Here's my list.
Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit $117.99
Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings $8.99
Lee Case Trimmers $5.99
Lee Deluxe Rifle Three-Die Set $32.99
Electronic Caliper $21.99
Plastic 20-Round Ammo Boxes $4.48

Shipped and taxed, that came to about $215.

Add to that
1 pound of Varget 26.99
1k CCI 200 primers 33.99
100 .308 Match bullets 25.99

My idea is that this let's me get started almost as cheaply as possible. I was able to get rounds loaded within a couple of hours. The first thing I figured out was that I don't like the lee scale, but I also figured out that I probably want a digital scale.
Even if I wind up replacing every single piece of equipment (and I really can't imagine needing to replace the press, it's *very* solid) and just selling it all, the amount I lose will be minimal, and be far offset by what I learn.

+ 2, for the RCBS beginners kit, plus the Hornady Guages for bullet depth measurement,OR OAL Guage, and case length. Saves a BUNCH of time, and questions. I've been using my "kit", including my beam scale, for 30 yrs. I do buy the "Match dies", plus a "standard " die set{for back up}, for each caliber. The Customer service is Fantastic.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for RCBS! Quality products and excellent customer service IF you ever need it. First, I must say to try and locate a reloading manual and read it from front to back. Try to get a thorough understanding of how and why things are done. After that Id recommend purchasing the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. It come with the Press, Powder thrower & resevoir, 505 Scale, Trim Pro, Case lube & pad, Speer reloading manual, and several other things. IMO this kit is a good place for a beginner to start. After that you could get the RCBS Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim-Mate Case Prep Center, and RCBS Case Master if you want to get serious and check things like neck concentricity and bullet run out. I also highly recommend you buy a hand priming device because it provides a better feeling for seating your primer. Also you will need to acquire a reloading manual for every bullet manufacturer you plan to use because each manufacture will call for a completely different recipe. If you have any questions, and I can help you PM me and I would be more then glad to help you with what I know </div></div>

I like my rcbs cock chucker and regular rcbs dies. I have a stuck case puller but only needed it a few times.

A note on case lube. Hornady oneshot in the aerosol DO NOT use the spray pump. If you do you will need the case puller.

I use an rcbs uni flow and a frankford arsenal scale. Works just fine. For me.

Of course I normally use this for load dev then go to my 1050 and make a run
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's my list.
Lee Case Trimmers $5.99
Plastic 20-Round Ammo Boxes $4.48</div></div>

This is pretty much the exact same setup I started with and loaded for a short time on. I was mainly concerned that I would absolutely hate the process of reloading then would have to try and sell all the equipment I bought. After reloading on that setup and realizing I would prefer better equipment, I got a Forster Co-Ax, Redding Bushing Dies with Micrometers, RCBS Chargemaster, and a Giraud trimmer. After doing the dry tumbling/cleaning, I got swept up in the wet tumbling/cleaning with stainless steel media. I think the main thing is to not jump too far into it until you find out if you will like reloading and just what equipment that would benefit you in reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vdub</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's my list.
Lee Case Trimmers $5.99
Plastic 20-Round Ammo Boxes $4.48</div></div>

This is pretty much the exact same setup I started with and loaded for a short time on. I was mainly concerned that I would absolutely hate the process of reloading then would have to try and sell all the equipment I bought. After reloading on that setup and realizing I would prefer better equipment, I got a Forster Co-Ax, Redding Bushing Dies with Micrometers, RCBS Chargemaster, and a Giraud trimmer. After doing the dry tumbling/cleaning, I got swept up in the wet tumbling/cleaning with stainless steel media. I think the main thing is to not jump too far into it until you find out if you will like reloading and just what equipment that would benefit you in reloading. </div></div>

Yeah, my first replacement was to go with the chargmaster 1500 combo. I know it sounds crazy to go super cheap on the reloading gear, then drop that much on a scale, but the scale was the only part I didn't like.
I may start looking at my dies now, it seems like my FL sizing die isn't expanding the case mouth, and I'm occasionally shaving some copper from the bullets. Otherwise I'm happy with everything I've got, and have reloaded quite a few rounds. I'm about to start getting ready for a 1k comp, that I expect to use my ammo in.

The stickey in this forum is a good - no great - place to start. I kinda wish that kind of resource was available to me when I got started. I don't like the kits out there, but they aren't really that bad, and any one of them will get you started.
Only thing I would add to the conversation is to get a good scale - that's probably the wrong place to scrimp. And I don't use my powder trickler anymore, but I do use those cheapie Lee scoops and tap out a couple grains at a time.

Another thought. Some guy, on this site, suggested Imperial Sizing wax. I tried it, and it's GREAT. I used the One Shot, and had 3 stuck cases. It's not "messy", like the RCBS sizing goo.