• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where in Jacksonville,NC to get 700 rebarreled?

Adician

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Well, as it states Im looking for someone to rebarrel my Rem 700 without having to ship it. The only local outdoor range cant do it, so I needed to find someone who has the tools and knowledge. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Where in Jacksonville,NC to get 700 rebarreled?

dont really want to do this but IBA over by Walmart. Or there is a rumor of a place down on Piney Green about 3/4 a mile before Semper Fi storage if you are coming from 17

Re: Where in Jacksonville,NC to get 700 rebarreled

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont really want to do this but IBA over by Walmart. Or there is a rumor of a place down on Piney Green about 3/4 a mile before Semper Fi storage if you are coming from 17 </div></div> IBA? Also, why wouldnt you want to do that? Thanks though.

Iron Brigade Armory. They take a few years and dont really do anything in house, they will send it off to Hart and Hart does all the barrel work, plus they will charge you an astronomical amount of money for it as well

No joke about IBA.

How about Miller's Gun Shop in Jacksonville, NC?

Thats less than comforting. Hmm. IBAs supposedly the only place in town to do it, eh? Any news on that other place?

Get in your car and drive to Lexington, NC and see Dave Sink. He is building a switch barrel for me now, and has built others for me as well. Fair prices, and he is a great dude to deal with. He'll treat your rifle like he is building it for himself. It's worth the drive; I do it from Fredericksburg Va. HIs e mail is [email protected]. If you want to PM me, I can give you more details.

Dana at Flatwoods doesn't do any barrel work. He is a basic gunsmith, and not a custom firearm maker.

Heard a few good things about Rick Miller, although you will have to find him on the white pages. He is closer to MCAS New River.

as deadly said IBA will do it in like xxx months and charge you xxxx dollars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dana at Flatwoods doesn't do any barrel work. He is a basic gunsmith, and not a custom firearm maker.

Heard a few good things about Rick Miller, although you will have to find him on the white pages. He is closer to MCAS New River. </div></div>
I've heard of Rick Miller from you and a couple other people. I'll give him a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron Brigade Armory. They take a few years and dont really do anything in house, they will send it off to Hart and Hart does all the barrel work, plus they will charge you an astronomical amount of money for it as well </div></div>

I second that statement.

To stay fairly close to home, I'd suggest you look into Precision Tool (Ray Bowman) in Mebane, NC. I think that Charles Ballard (raining F-class nat. champ) is helping run Ray's shop these days. Or, if you don't mind driving a couple extra hours, lookup Dave Tooley in Gastonia, NC. I believe he's screwing on AI's barrels these days, and he posts here on the Hide from time to time. Both do fantastic work, and they are NOT "shadetree" smiths. ( Disclaimer - The last comment doesn't insinuate that the others listed above are, but simply states that these two are not! ) Visit any 1,000 match at Camp Butner and more than likely there will be rifles by both of these gentlemen on the firing line. Now, with all that said, George Gardner gets all my gun money these days.
grin.gif

Don't forget Nat Lambeth in Youngsville. Built a rifle that placed in F-Class Worlds in 09. AG

+1 on Nat. I think my rifle is the one you are referring to. Nat may not be taking in work at this time. He is very popular and does hunting, XTC, benchrest, F-Class, etc work. Ray Bowman also does very good work. You will be pleased with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Nat. I think my rifle is the one you are referring to. Nat may not be taking in work at this time. He is very popular and does hunting, XTC, benchrest, F-Class, etc work. Ray Bowman also does very good work. You will be pleased with either.</div></div>

I can vouch to what usftr said. Nat is a great guy and he does awesome work. usftr and I are great friends and I have shot his rifle a bunch of times. It is a awesome rifle and it is one tack driver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Nat. I think my rifle is the one you are referring to. Nat may not be taking in work at this time. He is very popular and does hunting, XTC, benchrest, F-Class, etc work. Ray Bowman also does very good work. You will be pleased with either. </div></div>

Ahhh.... This must be J.R.
If so, this man knows what he's talking about. He wore me out at 600 last weekend, guess I should pray for more 300 yard matches.
wink.gif

Good to see you here on the hide.
J.C.

Yea, I think we were on different relays. That played a role in what happened at 300 last weekend. I usually do better at the 800 - 1000 yard lines. I also alerted the club secretary and stats to turn in a national record form for you. Sunday morning 200-13x was impressive. That tied the current record.

Thanks for doing that. I was going to ask the club about posting it on their website in their local records section, but I didn't know that a "National Records form" even existed! My local range only goes to 200, and I'm there most every weekend that it's open. Guess that's why I felt so comfortable at 300. I realize that I have a lot to learn at 600 & 1000, but now I know I have the equipment to do so. Two buddies (AG above and Phil K. who you know) and myself will be at Butner quite a bit this year, maybe sometime you can get on a target with the 3 of us. As long as you don't charge much for lessons.
grin.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Apologies to the OP for the hi-jack.</span> There's atleast 3 fantastic NC smiths mentioned above, hopefully one of them can help you with what you need. Good luck.