• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is the comp scene at with 243 vs. 6.5?

neoinarien

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Is this a live debate? Have guys just settled on doing whether they are going to do? Has 6.5 emerged the victor? Or is 243 kicking more ass?

Thanks all

Re: Where is the comp scene at with 243 vs. 6.5?

I doubt you will find that there is a clear victor or if there ever will be...both are great rounds and heavly used in competitions.

Splitting hairs here.

Looks like its migrating towards 6mm for low recoil and flat trajectories. 105 hybrid Bergers at 3080 are hard to beat out to 1000.

243 is still hard to beat. The 6mm and 6.5 Creedmore are very impressive considering their case capacity and OAL. When comparing the 243 to the 6CM or the 260 to the 6.5CM with the same bullets, you are really just splitting hairs. I run a 243 bolt gun as my primary match rifle with TUBB DTACs @ 3050fps and can have got them to 3150 before pressure signs show up.

It's really "the indian not the arrow" at that level.

A good buddy of mine runs a 243 w/ 115 DTAC's and has for years. My 6.5CM with 140 Amax's is slower and not as flat but when I compared the wind the difference was a whole lot closer.

Wind_Comparison.jpg

The 208 Amax is on there as a comparison for those that think 30-06's aren't fully capable of kicking ass.

Drop_Comparison.jpg

Either works. Started shooting the 243 back in 2006 and the 6,5 Creedmoor in 2008. Both work very well.

Gotta ask all the questions, to get all of the answers:

Barrel Life - 6mms are going to eat them quicker, so 6.5mms are going to win

Energy on Target - heavier 6.5mms are going to win

Long Range (1,000 yds or further) Performance - the lighter 6mms run out of steam and start getting blown around, so the heavier 6.5mms are going to win

But if you don't care about barrel life, are just looking for a notable hit on paper or steel, and are doing the majority of shooting inside of 1,000 yards, then the 6mms are winning.

If you look at the PRS Series, a lot of 6mms winning, but for some shooters it is about nothing more than max performance under those specific match conditions with no other considerations.

What works best for some, does not always work best for all!

Best of luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta ask all the questions, to get all of the answers:

Long Range (1,000 yds or further) Performance - the lighter 6mms run out of steam and start getting blown around, so the heavier 6.5mms are going to win

But if you don't care about barrel life, are just looking for a notable hit on paper or steel, and are doing the majority of shooting inside of 1,000 yards, then the 6mms are winning.

If you look at the PRS Series, a lot of 6mms winning, but for some shooters it is about nothing more than max performance under those specific match conditions with no other considerations.

Best of luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta ask all the questions, to get all of the answers:

Best of luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

I'm with you Cap... but if you're gonna play might as well try to be on an even field.

I think when shooting at unknown distances velocity is king... it lets you make errors in estimation with an out and out miss is some cases it also decreases your wind adjustments inside a certain range. Most of these matches, as I understand it, rarely go beyond 1k. Also, recoil is another consideration when time is a factor and you're shooting from positions other than prone.

I have 6x47L barrel I just picked up, mainly because it was convenient, and I'll give it a whirl.

Personally, I feel a .284 (shooting projectiles in the 160 range) would be the best of both worlds. If I can get close to 3k out of a 162amax from a short action .284 I'd be in. Lately the word is go LA or don't do it. I'm stuck on Badger actions and Marty said no LA's with standard bolt faces.

The question shouldn't be 243 v 6.5s, the question should be 20 degree shoulder or 30 degree shoulder, the most accurate cartridges in the world almost all have a 30 degree ish shoulder, 6xc, 6Creedmoor, 6x47, 6-284, 6BR, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284 and so on, before the crazy buying frenzy of late I was a 260Rem fan, brass was cheap and easy to find, now its non existent, I will be switching to a 30 degree shoulder cartridge in the 6mm range very soon, probably 6Creedmoor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question shouldn't be 243 v 6.5s, the question should be 20 degree shoulder or 30 degree shoulder, the most accurate cartridges in the world almost all have a 30 degree ish shoulder, 6xc, 6Creedmoor, 6x47, 6-284, 6BR, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284 and so on, before the crazy buying frenzy of late I was a 260Rem fan, brass was cheap and easy to find, now its non existent, I will be switching to a 30 degree shoulder cartridge in the 6mm range very soon, probably 6Creedmoor. </div></div>

This is an interesting thought 427Cobra on the 20 vs 30* ...
What is it that makes the 30* shoulder more precise?

My cartridges are both 30* and I have noticed I'm not trimming them as much as the guys with the 20* 308 cartridges, which is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I feel a .284 (shooting projectiles in the 160 range) would be the best of both worlds. If I can get close to 3k out of a 162amax from a short action .284 I'd be in. Lately the word is go LA or don't do it. I'm stuck on Badger actions and Marty said no LA's with standard bolt faces. </div></div>

A short action is a totally viable platform for the 284. Mine gets 2950 from 162s and 2825 from 175smk.

The slight improvement from a long action, in my opinion, is offset by the magazine capacity advantages of the SA.

Trouble with the 284 is recoil. No, a 162@2950 or a 175@2825 doesn't beat you up, but when you have a poor position, it knocks you off target - certainly a lot more than a 140@2850 or a 105@3100 from a 6mm.

Marty @ BO told me that if he received enough inquiries about a .473" BF long action M2008/2013, he'd build them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question shouldn't be 243 v 6.5s, the question should be 20 degree shoulder or 30 degree shoulder, the most accurate cartridges in the world almost all have a 30 degree ish shoulder, 6xc, 6Creedmoor, 6x47, 6-284, 6BR, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284 and so on, before the crazy buying frenzy of late I was a 260Rem fan, brass was cheap and easy to find, now its non existent, I will be switching to a 30 degree shoulder cartridge in the 6mm range very soon, probably 6Creedmoor. </div></div>

This is an interesting thought 427Cobra on the 20 vs 30* ...
What is it that makes the 30* shoulder more precise?

My cartridges are both 30* and I have noticed I'm not trimming them as much as the guys with the 20* 308 cartridges, which is nice.

</div></div>

Mr Bailey I really don't know the answer to why the 30ish degree shoulder is employed by all the super accurate rounds out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I feel a .284 (shooting projectiles in the 160 range) would be the best of both worlds. If I can get close to 3k out of a 162amax from a short action .284 I'd be in. Lately the word is go LA or don't do it. I'm stuck on Badger actions and Marty said no LA's with standard bolt faces. </div></div>

A short action is a totally viable platform for the 284. Mine gets 2950 from 162s and 2825 from 175smk.

The slight improvement from a long action, in my opinion, is offset by the magazine capacity advantages of the SA.

Trouble with the 284 is recoil. No, a 162@2950 or a 175@2825 doesn't beat you up, but when you have a poor position, it knocks you off target - certainly a lot more than a 140@2850 or a 105@3100 from a 6mm.

Marty @ BO told me that if he received enough inquiries about a .473" BF long action M2008/2013, he'd build them. </div></div>

Turbo: What load are you using for the 162?

Also, that's AWESOME. I wonder if he will just offer a switch bolt for his Magnum Long Action... To me that would close the deal! I'd have a Long Action 300wm, 30-06, 284!

I'm planning to get a 2013 when he starts taking deposits this month. I might have to go LA if that's the case... planning on another SA though.

Edit to add... I have my M2008 set up to use both AW and AICS mags so a Short Action .284 might be in my future IF the 2900+ is attainable with a temp stable powder.

Yeah those crappy 20 degree shoulder 243s don't shoot for shit.
wink.gif
As I said both will work very well. Pick the one that works for you as far as components and ammo and run with it. Don't fry your brain nit picking details.

5 shots at a match in the rain at 100 with 243
P2240123.jpg

500 yards at a match with 243
norcal_tbrc08_09.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, that's AWESOME. I wonder if he will just offer a switch bolt for his Magnum Long Action... To me that would close the deal! I'd have a Long Action 300wm, 30-06, 284!

I'm planning to get a 2013 when he starts taking deposits this month. I might have to go LA if that's the case... planning on another SA though.

Edit to add... I have my M2008 set up to use both AW and AICS mags so a Short Action .284 might be in my future IF the 2900+ is attainable with a temp stable powder. </div></div>

If you snipergoogle "turbo54 284 short action", you can read through all my findings. I posted all about it.

In short, ~54gr H4350 + 162 = ~2950fps, and ~54gr H4831sc + 175smk = ~2825fps. I never found RL17 to do anything magic that H4350 wouldn't.

I spoke with BO today and inquired about the M2013. They begin taking "pre-orders" on Feb 18. I asked if I could order a short action, with two bolts, a .473 and a .532. They said that would be fine. It was ~6 months ago when I asked them about a .473 long action, and was told if they kept getting inquiries, they'd seriously consider it. Email them.

In regard to magazines running a 284 in your M2008 (or a short M2013), you'll need to do some feedlip trickery for the AICS magazines. I looked into 284 in AW magazines and it sure seemed like a no go - too fat to doublestack properly. Or you can use Alphas - that's what I use in my 284. They're certainly not without their issues either, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Edit to add... I have my M2008 set up to use both AW and AICS mags so a Short Action .284 might be in my future IF the 2900+ is attainable with a temp stable powder. </div></div>

If you snipergoogle "turbo54 284 short action", you can read through all my findings. I posted all about it.

In short, ~54gr H4350 + 162 = ~2950fps, and ~54gr H4831sc + 175smk = ~2825fps. I never found RL17 to do anything magic that H4350 wouldn't.

I spoke with BO today and inquired about the M2013. They begin taking "pre-orders" on Feb 18. I asked if I could order a short action, with two bolts, a .473 and a .532. They said that would be fine. It was ~6 months ago when I asked them about a .473 long action, and was told if they kept getting inquiries, they'd seriously consider it. Email them.

In regard to magazines running a 284 in your M2008 (or a short M2013), you'll need to do some feedlip trickery for the AICS magazines. I looked into 284 in AW magazines and it sure seemed like a no go - too fat to doublestack properly. Or you can use Alphas - that's what I use in my 284. They're certainly not without their issues either, though. </div></div>

Yeah, was thinking modded AICS mags.... I'd like to see some more data on the 7 CM before I pull the trigger.

6.5 creedmor put me in master class. 140 vld and h4350. Pretty freaking sick how accurate it is