• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy a hard rifle case

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
I’m looking for a pelican, Nanuk or similar style hard rifle case... I can’t for the life of me, find a store that stocks anything in the way of hard rifle cases, except for harbor freight and the Apache cases. I’ve seen them and I’m not too impressed with them even for the money. Am I missing something here? Most of my LGS only have the cheesy padded rifle bag, which is fine for a cheapy .22 or a beater rifle but I want something nice. I’d like to atleast check it out before I buy. I have a cabelas about an hour and 29 minutes from me but they only have cabela brand cases

P.S. I absolutely won’t do business with dicks sporting goods... they suck.

Have you checked Google... Ive been running a Pelican case since 2008, and SKB's before that. Highly recommend both brands. The Pelican is much more durable, but the SKB will be softer padding. My Pelicans are more rugged for heavy duty use, but I mainly use my SKB (single rifle case) for hunting.

Pelican is all over online. Even Amazon has the 1750 for $269 free ship. I have two there awesome. I also have a skb for my bow and it’s great also. Skb is also all over internet.

There’s no need to feel a pelican. Just make sure it’s dimensions fit your rifle and it’s going to be better then every other hard case hands down. But in the crossover market nothing beats a Whitten gun case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butlesl and FuhQ
I was wanting to feel it, look at the latches, look at the handles all the typical BS people do before they drop $250 on a rifle case. I’ll see if there’s a bass pro around
Completely understand. If you want to feel them all (like I have), Pelican craps all over the rest. No need to feel them if your looking in the $250 range for a Pelican 1750 or similar sized case. If you can nab a 1750 on sale, then it literally can’t be beat.

I have a nanuk 995 that's built like a tank, and my brother has a few pelicans that are very nice as well. I'd be confident buying either, sight unseen, as long as they fit your needs.

honestly, I'm surprised by that. Mine
have taken some knocks and been fine. I have to rock crawl part of the trail to the cabin I hunt from

Reactions: Ericbc7
Pelicans are great cases. I have a 1720. When I needed something bigger I did some research before I pulled the trigger on a 1750. I ended up with the Nanuk 995. It has a couple more inches of length and the lid has a stop. It doesn’t flop over like a pelican. The only down side I’ve found to the nanuk is that it doesn’t have a handle on the wheeled end.

honestly, I'm surprised by that. Mine
have taken some knocks and been fine. I have to rock crawl part of the trail to the cabin I hunt from
I have a feeling they’ve been there for a while, those cases are things that people pick through so if it’s broken it stays on the shelf. There were a few pistol sized cases that seemed more stout than the rifle case. The lid was pretty “floppy” probably because of the length. A few buddies run them and they’re happy with them, that’s why I decided to check them out... might end up with a smaller one for some pistols we will see.

honestly, the reason I went with the HF ones, is the length. I have a 26" barreled smokeless muzzleloader and needed the room.

Pelicans are great cases. I have a 1720. When I needed something bigger I did some research before I pulled the trigger on a 1750. I ended up with the Nanuk 995. It has a couple more inches of length and the lid has a stop. It doesn’t flop over like a pelican. The only down side I’ve found to the nanuk is that it doesn’t have a handle on the wheeled end.
Yeah I'm glad I went with the nanuk 995 for the large case I got. A fellow hider tipped me off that I could get optics planet to sell the tan one for $160 is I chatted with them and asked for a better price. I'm very happy with it. The case staying open by itself is a big feature for me. Drives me nuts to have to lay the whole case open flat out every time I want into it. The handles are spring loaded too, which is nice. Very well made.

Yeah I'm glad I went with the nanuk 995 for the large case I got. A fellow hider tipped me off that I could get optics planet to sell the tan one for $160 is I chatted with them and asked for a better price. I'm very happy with it. The case staying open by itself is a big feature for me. Drives me nuts to have to lay the whole case open flat out every time I want into it. The handles are spring loaded too, which is nice. Very well made.
That’s the info I was looking for, before I purchased lol 😂

• Haha
Reactions: NateSavannah
It's in a thread about hard rifle cases I did last week....
Must have missed the thread... I’m not worried about it. I’m going to use this pelican for 2 upcoming trips, I may run 2 of my AR’s in it and then try and find a legit 2 rifle case. Most of them are only 14” wide, my rifle now, with the bipod is 9” so we will see

Must have missed the thread... I’m not worried about it. I’m going to use this pelican for 2 upcoming trips, I may run 2 of my AR’s in it and then try and find a legit 2 rifle case. Most of them are only 14” wide, my rifle now, with the bipod is 9” so we will see
If you are considering another and running one of them as a double, I'd look at the nanuk for that and the pelican for single prs set up because the nanuk is bigger right? It certainly appears to be every bit as good or better than a pelican, though I haven't ever owned a pelican. I have used em several times, and they are great also of course.

If you are considering another and running one of them as a double, I'd look at the nanuk for that and the pelican for single prs set up because the nanuk is bigger right? It certainly appears to be every bit as good or better than a pelican, though I haven't ever owned a pelican. I have used em several times, and they are great also of course.
The AR’s I’d run are both SBR’s so I can easily fit 2 in either one. I’d also want to run my tikka and whatever gun I buy/ build for my wife, IF she wants to come shoot with me. But fitting 2 legit rifles with optics and bipod will take some serious laying out, if it’s even possible.

The AR’s I’d run are both SBR’s so I can easily fit 2 in either one. I’d also want to run my tikka and whatever gun I buy/ build for my wife, IF she wants to come shoot with me. But fitting 2 legit rifles with optics and bipod will take some serious laying out, if it’s even possible.
Oh, well then yeah you are right. Not sure 2 prs type rigs would fit, even in the nanuk case (but it really is a whopper). It might but probably not a good idea. I at least prefer to have my whole set up for a precision bolt gun in one case, with whatever accessories I use with it. That Eylar case is coming tomorrow, so I will let you know how it checks out once it gets here if you want. I think I got it for $130 and it's a 48" long case. Good for AR set ups or a prs probably

Oh, well then yeah you are right. Not sure 2 prs type rigs would fit, even in the nanuk case (but it really is a whopper). It might but probably not a good idea. I at least prefer to have my whole set up for a precision bolt gun in one case, with whatever accessories I use with it. That Eylar case is coming tomorrow, so I will let you know how it checks out once it gets here if you want. I think I got it for $130 and it's a 48" long case. Good for AR set ups or a prs probably
Yeah let me know how the eylar case works out. I searched for hours on a bunch of forums and websites looking for a 20” interior width and 60” long so I could run 2 long guns with cans but it seems like it doesn’t exist. Probably because it’s a 50lbs case empty. I could easily run a separate case for her gun

Yeah let me know how the eylar case works out. I searched for hours on a bunch of forums and websites looking for a 20” interior width and 60” long so I could run 2 long guns with cans but it seems like it doesn’t exist. Probably because it’s a 50lbs case empty. I could easily run a separate case for her gun
They don't exist because most case manufacturers comply with airline limits on overall dimensions of 62". The only market that exceeds this limit is the military and they get exemptions on travel length if flying commercial. And in most cases, contract runs for such cases are limited since a company will not make money selling them to consumers.

So, the Pelican 1750 and Nanuk 995 are literally the only cases that meet that max overall limit.

Yeah, I would think it would be too heavy. That's 55" nanuk is a chunk! It's built like a tank, and it feels like one too! If you ever needed to make a breach entry, you can just use the case to ram the door open

Reactions: NCHillbilly
They don't exist because most case manufacturers comply with airline limits on overall dimensions of 62". The only market that exceeds this limit is the military and they get exemptions on travel length if flying commercial. And in most cases, contract runs for such cases are limited since a company will not make money selling them to consumers.

So, the Pelican 1750 and Nanuk 995 are literally the only cases that meet that max overall limit.
Are you sure those are the only 2?🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: bunny too
A single case loaded with 2 PRS rifles? I'd need help lifting that case in and out of my truck.

I did load 2 22lr rifles with optics in my Boyt case and it was not light, and I don't think I'll do it very often.

A single case loaded with 2 PRS rifles? I'd need help lifting that case in and out of my truck.

I did load 2 22lr rifles with optics in my Boyt case and it was not light, and I don't think I'll do it very often.
No different than on 50lb elr gun

With the weight of the case itself, it would be extremely heavy to have 2 prs rifles in one case, even if they would fit. I definitely wouldn't want to lug it.

Is there really a 50 lb rifle? Even the elr guns aren't that heavy are they?
50lb is generally the limit for elr heavy gun right now. The case I linked is a little iver 25lb by itself. Add a 50lb gun and you’re thankful it has handles on both ends and wheels 😆

Unfortunately I have lost faith in Pelicans, I have some that are fifteen years old and they are bomb proof, the newer ones I do not think are as durable. I have switched to Nanuk, I think they are better made and a MUCH better value. That being said my latest rifle came in at just over 53 inches so I had to go with this
Explorer case
The quality is not as high quality as a Nanuk but my options were limited. It is a freaking beast however.

Reactions: Geno C.
Unfortunately I have lost faith in Pelicans, I have some that are fifteen years old and they are bomb proof, the newer ones I do not think are as durable. I have switched to Nanuk, I think they are better made and a MUCH better value. That being said my latest rifle came in at just over 53 inches so I had to go with this
Explorer case
The quality is not as high quality as a Nanuk but my options were limited. It is a freaking beast however.
What specifically don’t you like about the pelican? Is it a 1750?

Give Peak Case a look, great cases, awesome multi colored pre-cut foam interior, single or multi level, many stock options, or they will cut whatever you want? They also make some very nice ultralight pack cases.

What specifically don’t you like about the pelican? Is it a 1750?
I have a 1750 from the late 1990's that you can park a tank on, my most recent 1750 from two years ago weights six pounds less (than my first 1750) and the latches are not as durable. It is not so much that I dislike them but I do not feel they are the industry standard they used to be and thus not worth the cost premium. Nanuk reminds me of what Pelican used to be.

Explorer case
Will it not fit in the 995 nanuk? That's what I just got. I thought it was 55"?

Just got a notification from my ring... my pelican just arrived 😂
I’ll check it out, if I don’t like it I’ll return it and get the Nanuk from optics planet.

Sooooo, I got the Eeylar case in. It's "ok" ... it's definitely durable, and the actual plastic seems pretty legit. It doesn't have the features of the nanuk case though, and it doesn't have the fit and finish. Of course it's normally a pretty significant price difference between the 2. It also is made in China. (Which I didn't know before I ordered it, I guess I should have checked. That would have made me not buy it honestly). The nanuk is just too big and heavy for what I wanted out of this case, or I'd just send it back and get another nanuk 995. This is a 48" case, and it has the pluck foam (which I probably won't use). I have a bunch of foam I got for a sweet deal a long time ago so I can replace the pluck foam portion (middle layer of 3) with regular foam I can cut out like the nanuk case.

Anyway, it's a good case for $130, but it's not comparable to the nanuk or 1750 pelican. Maybe it compares to the pelican vault series I'd say.