• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy bullets...

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
So I'm about to replenish the stock of bullets... My local store doesn't carry Rainier Ballistics bullets any more and the last time I bought 175 grain SMKs I got them on a Hide group buy...

I've been considering placing an order for 2K 200gr RN 45ACP bullets (I usually use 230gr RN but 200 is all Midway has in RN right now) and 2K 175gr 308 SMKs. Total shipping on this order appears to come out to $32.48.

So that is:
$0.32 per 175g SMK
and
$0.13 per 200g 45ACP

Is there a better option?

Re: Where to buy bullets...

Powder valley had better prices then te group buy when I checked.

Just got 500 175gn SMK from Powder Valley. Don't forget to add in $10 for shipping as this does not show up when you check out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got 500 175gn SMK from Powder Valley. Don't forget to add in $10 for shipping as this does not show up when you check out... </div></div>

Was it still a good deal though?

Precision Delta is where I usually get my pistol bullets from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got 500 175gn SMK from Powder Valley. Don't forget to add in $10 for shipping as this does not show up when you check out... </div></div>

Boy I'm not a fan of their we'll add in shipping after the fact policy. When you're placing an order for 4K bullets depending on how that gets shipped it could be a LOT of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got 500 175gn SMK from Powder Valley. Don't forget to add in $10 for shipping as this does not show up when you check out... </div></div>

Boy I'm not a fan of their we'll add in shipping after the fact policy. When you're placing an order for 4K bullets depending on how that gets shipped it could be a LOT of money. </div></div>

Its stated on their website how much they add for shipping depending on your total. In 15 orders, never had it differentiate from this even with a lot of bullets and weight.

I must be totally missing it I can't find it anywhere. Does it come up after you put in CC info?

Ward over at Lewis arms will beat almost any price. Good guy, good service! Give him a call

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be totally missing it I can't find it anywhere. Does it come up after you put in CC info? </div></div>

From Powder Valley website

We will ship via the best method to save you money. Shipping will be calculated and added to your order. Our typical shipping charges are based on the subtotal of your order. Subtotal <$150.00, shipping $9.95; <$300.00, $13.95; <$600.00, $15.95; >$600, $19.95. Please use this as a guide only. Freight for Wads, shot, media and cast bullets are subject to increased freight charges. We can ship shot, bullets and brass via the U. S. Postal Service for $14.00 per box up to 60 pounds, subject to size requirements. Please contact an associate for assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ward over at Lewis arms will beat almost any price. Good guy, good service! Give him a call </div></div>

He was more then PV when I checked with him

Just bought a ton of powder from powder valley and got the $13.95 shipping charge, WAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than most sites out there!

Appreciated... I did finally find this... Yea I'm a bit simple...
wink.gif

Thanks all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thor2j</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be totally missing it I can't find it anywhere. Does it come up after you put in CC info? </div></div>

From Powder Valley website

We will ship via the best method to save you money. Shipping will be calculated and added to your order. Our typical shipping charges are based on the subtotal of your order. Subtotal <$150.00, shipping $9.95; <$300.00, $13.95; <$600.00, $15.95; >$600, $19.95. Please use this as a guide only. Freight for Wads, shot, media and cast bullets are subject to increased freight charges. We can ship shot, bullets and brass via the U. S. Postal Service for $14.00 per box up to 60 pounds, subject to size requirements. Please contact an associate for assistance. </div></div>

For your .45 stuff, take a look at extreme bullets. Their prices include shipping and they are good quality. 230 grain works out to less than .12 per shipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do those shipping rates include HazMat fees? </div></div>

You only have to pay hazmat on powder and primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precision Delta is where I usually get my pistol bullets from. </div></div>

These are fmj bullets with shipping included for less than plated bullets.

I got my last pistol bullets from Montana Gold but Precision Delta has better prices now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precision Delta is where I usually get my pistol bullets from. </div></div>

These are fmj bullets with shipping included for less than plated bullets.

I got my last pistol bullets from Montana Gold but Precision Delta has better prices now. </div></div>

Agreed. After reading the suggestions here and reading reviews on all the bullets suggested here I've just placed a test run order of 2000 rounds from Precision Delta. The hope is that I'll like them and then I can order more.

Thanks much for the help gentlemen.

~Brett

I've shot thousands of them and rarely even check other sites before ordering any more.

They give discounts if you go over 5 or 6 thousand at a time. I usually try to get a few people in on the order to save a few dollars.

And yes, these are jacket, not plated.

The only disadvantage I've ever heard about these bullets is that a small portion of the base has lead exposed where as most plated bullets are completely encased in copper.

I suppose this exposes you to a bit of lead which some people freak out about. I tend to wash my hands after handling any gun related stuff. It's not exactly a clean sport with oil and solvents and stuff.

It personally doesn't bother me, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do those shipping rates include HazMat fees? </div></div>

You only have to pay hazmat on powder and primers. </div></div>

And unlike Midwayusa, you only pay the 1 hazmat fee for your complete order, Midway has you pay a hazmat fee for each and every item.

Love Powder Valley but have to pay sales tax because it's local. Still do on a lot of stuff. Been buying some pistol bullets from Precision Delta and they are great to deal with. Great prices too.

With Powder Valley I've found it's best to place phone orders. Their web store apparently does not show live inventory. I ordered 1k 139 Scenars and 200 Berger 140 MTH bullets online, got a call the next day saying they have been out of 1k boxes of 139's for a while, down to 1 box of 140 Bergers with no ETA for either product. I cancelled my order and ordered elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You only have to pay hazmat on powder and primers.</div></div>

I'm aware of that. Grizzdude said he got the 13.95 shipping on powder. That's why I asked about HazMat.

Just bought some nosler 168,175 cc from brownells with free shipping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out the group buy section, Lewis arms co is doing a group buy on any reloading stuff. I just got 1k Berger hybrids from him. Great service and fast shipping.

Walter</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ward over at Lewis arms will beat almost any price. Good guy, good service! Give him a call</div></div>

Drop me a PM with the supplies you need. Let me see what I can do for you.

Not SMK's but Wideners sells a bulk pack of 175 FMJ that amounts to $0.1895 per w/free shipping. Currently out of stock, though.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8442&dir=278|281|1081|1161

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlouie87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ward is GTG.</div></div>

Dan, thanks again.