• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy dies/bullets?

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
I need a set of .308 dies (don't really care what brand) and some bullets. Where do you guys shop online? MidwayUSA and Cabelas seem to want like $18 just to ship 1 set of dies(no bullets)...does that sound right? A die set isn't that heavy

Re: Where to buy dies/bullets?

I buy bullets from PowderValley, they always seem to have the best price.

Dies, I suggest you buy some Redding Type S dies, and either a Redding comp seater or a Forster micrometer seater, yes there more $$$, but it's money well spent in the long run.

Is there not a store close by that you can drive to? Having said that. I probably buy 70% of my equipment and supplies offline. If the local store has what I'm after, I'm only too happy to buy it from them. But if I'm going to have to wait I'll just order it. Midway is one my steady suppliers. But by no means the only one. Shop around. You may be suprised at where a local store is. If not, go out on the web.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there not a store close by that you can drive to? Having said that. I probably buy 70% of my equipment and supplies offline. If the local store has what I'm after, I'm only too happy to buy it from them. But if I'm going to have to wait I'll just order it. Midway is one my steady suppliers. But by no means the only one. Shop around. You may be suprised at where a local store is. If not, go out on the web. </div></div>

I'm with Victor, these are my sentiments too. You're right in that Midway is sometimes a little higher. For me, thier CS has been unmatched. Also, I usually get my order 3 bussiness days after it was made. Several times there have been problems with my order. Never was a question, a new one was shiped imediately or whatever I asked was done. I shop around too but unless the price difference is sugnificant, I do business with Midway. JMO.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a set of .308 dies (don't really care what brand) and some bullets. Where do you guys shop online? MidwayUSA and Cabelas seem to want like $18 just to ship 1 set of dies(no bullets)...does that sound right? A die set isn't that heavy

</div></div>

Is that for overnight or next day shipping? I always order from those places and shipping has never been that high.

Is Cabela's shipping based on Dollar value rather then weight?
RCBS, Redding, and Lee Dies can fit in the smallest USPS Flat Rate Priority box for about $5.00. Hornady and Forster are not that lucky. Another thing to consider.....UPS had a rate increase the first of the year, and if you live in EBFE UPS sticks it to you. $11 for a set of dies is fair shipping these days.

Take a drive up to Phoenix. Cabelas is in Glendale,Bass Pro in Mesa and Bruno's is in north Phoenix. You might call ahead and make sure they have what you want and put a hold on it. I know Cabelas and Bruno's will do a hold for at least one day. If you can't make the drive Bruno's will ship to you very reasonable. Check out Bruno's website, they have alot of reloading stuff.

A+ on Grafs if you dont order powder or primers shippings only $4.50,P.V. and Midsouth are G.T.G also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a set of .308 dies (don't really care what brand) and some bullets. Where do you guys shop online? MidwayUSA and Cabelas seem to want like $18 just to ship 1 set of dies(no bullets)...does that sound right? A die set isn't that heavy

</div></div>

Quoted from the MidwayUSA FAQ...
"MidwayUSA attempts to keep our costs as low as possible, so we can give our Customers the best pricing in the Industry. Since we will accept any size order, there is a Special Handling Charge of $3.00 for all retail product orders under $25.00 and $4.00 for all dealer product orders under $40.00 to offset the additional costs associated with handling orders under these amounts."

I only place orders when I'm going to spend over $100. My last shipment (just a few days ago) was over 14 lbs and UPS ground shipping was just $15.

So I suggest try adding more items and see if the shipping costs go down.

i know people dont like to hear it, but you can find dies for a good price with free shipping on ebay. just check the sellers rating, location and return policy.

i order alot from midway, ive never heard of shipping that high for such a small item.

+1 on midsouth shooters supply. their regular prices are others sale prices