• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy Origin prefit?

Ohioguy47

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2021
Ohio
Hello all. Just decided to go the full custom route after finding a deal on an Origin action. I'm looking for a shouldered prefit. I want a 6.5 creed one that is 24" in a moderately heavy contour. Any suggestions on where to buy one? I usually just see 26" ones. I also dont see the point of spending a ridiculous amount on a cheaply made button rifled barrel like alot of companies try to pass off for high price tags. I appreciate the help!

Hello all. Just decided to go the full custom route after finding a deal on an Origin action. I'm looking for a shouldered prefit. I want a 6.5 creed one that is 24" in a moderately heavy contour. Any suggestions on where to buy one? I usually just see 26" ones. I also dont see the point of spending a ridiculous amount on a cheaply made button rifled barrel like alot of companies try to pass off for high price tags. I appreciate the help!
X-caliber

Reactions: Ohioguy47
A proof is a little over 500 at front range precision but they are 26”
Or give John at keystone accuracy a call, he does great work too.

Reactions: Ohioguy47
I have a Rock Creek M24, 8T, 5R, SS, cut.
I have a SAAMI 6.5 Creedmoor and a .150" freebore reamer, I can do an Origin at 24" PM me if interested.

You guys have been very helpful. Much appreciated. I found one local smith as well who stocks shillen blanks and can do it within a week for a very reasonable price. He says they all shoot 1/4 moa, but am hesitant about those blanks. Stay away? Thinking of just supplying my own cut rifled blank.

Front Range Precision. He is on here and usually has a variety in stock. I bought a proof prefix from him a while back - great to deal with.

I just ordered two Shilen barrels from Northland. They have savage small shank barrels in stock for .223, I didn't ask about 6.5cm but they might have them. If you did not know, savage small shank barrels and a barrel nut work with the Origin. Slightly different setup process compared to a shouldered prefit but they're more universal, easier/cheaper to find and really come out the same way.

I have limited experience with Shilen but mine on an AR shoots great and was well made. I'm hoping the same for a bolt gun.

Their stainless small shank prefit was like $330 ready to go on the gun. I had their gunsmith down the street cut/thread the barrel for me. They also have long Criterion finished barrels in stock for about $400. This is all .223 info, maybe they'll have 6.5cm as well.

i'd deal with the extra 2" and get a 26" proof comp contour from front range precision. Owen is great to deal with and the barrels are accurate

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze