• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy premade AXMC LA barrels?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I'm looking for a 18"-20" 308 barrel for my AI AXMC (Long action). I know mile high and eurooptic have barrels but they are all 24"+. Anyone know of a place that would have short barrels?

I might even consider something like a 6.5 but the point is I want a shorter barrel.

Mile high for sure will cut them to any length you want. I dont even think they'll charge you for it. If you want it threaded, they will charge for that. My 20" .260 barrel started out as an in-stock plain 24".

edit: The gunsmith at mile high put it in the lathe and chopped it immediatly, because it shipped same day or next day.

I believe all the mainstream AI barrel makers can do what you want, just need to ask.

Find a machinist with a lathe who knows what they are doing - give them a reamer and a barrel blank and they should be able to make you any barrel you want for over 50% less than a pre-made barrel. That is what I did for my AT.

Dave Tooley will cut it down or turn a barrel for your AXMC and he has quick turnaround time.

Last edited:
    It would be best to bring a barrel and the rifle to a gunsmith so he can time and headspace it. If your just building a shorty and don't care about the brass for use in other rifles the mile high or europtic barrels will be fine

It would be best to bring a barrel and the rifle to a gunsmith so he can time and headspace it. If your just building a shorty and don't care about the brass for use in other rifles the mile high or europtic barrels will be fine

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an AXMC, then. If I wanted to take it to a gunsmith, I'd have saved my money and bought two of something else.

You would be supprised how many of these barrels are out of spec

Perhaps I would. How many barrels made by Dave Tooley, or Mile High, or sold by Eurooptic have you seen that were out of spec? While I only have a .308 and a .243 both pass the go/nogo with PTG gauges.

personally 2 , ive talked to other gunsmiths and they say they have seen it to. They are machining to a Blueprint, tolerances don't always stack up correctly and headspace can be off.

personally 2 , ive talked to other gunsmiths and they say they have seen it to. They are machining to a Blueprint, tolerances don't always stack up correctly and headspace can be off.

I'm glad I decided to go with the .243 for a second barrel rather than the 6.5 cm as I don't have go/nogo for the 6.5 cm.

You would be supprised how many of these barrels are out of spec

Really?!? I doubt you (White Mamba) know WTF you're talking about in reference to an AI AXMC platform.

I've owned an AXMC for 3 years now purchased barrels from Tooley, Mile High and EuroOptic with no issue on being out of spec. The reason for the difference companies for me, not sticking with one, has been availability of barrels.

I have either been stupidly lucky or this platform is gods gift to multi-caliber like a DT.

Do you even own this platform or purchased these barrels?

I'm glad I decided to go with the .243 for a second barrel rather than the 6.5 cm as I don't have go/nogo for the 6.5 cm.

Normally i wouldnt care that much but on a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor i want to be able to run the brass through different rifles and not overwork it or have yo buy extra dies

Normally i wouldnt care that much but on a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor i want to be able to run the brass through different rifles and not overwork it or have yo buy extra dies

Just so I understand, you personally purchased both a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for your AXMC that turned out not to pass the go/nogo test with reputible gauges? And you have also talked with other gunsmiths who have had AXMC's with barrels from Mile High, EuroOptic or Tooley that were measureable out of spec when installed on rifles?

What is done to resolve these situations? You have said "It would be best to bring a barrel and the rifle to a gunsmith so he can time and headspace it. If your just building a shorty and don't care about the brass for use in other rifles the mile high or europtic barrels will be fine" I know what head spaceing is but can you tell me how you time a barrel. I know how to time a muzzle brake but I don't know how to time a barrel.

Yes with a jsg and ptg guage, plus measuesd my brass wich was my first indicator. To br fair my 308 bolt that i bought from mile high could be out of spec but they and Ai wont tell me what the spec should be!
    Timing the barrell is pointing the droop of the barrell at 12 or 6 oclock

Yes with a jsg and ptg guage, plus measuesd my brass wich was my first indicator. To br fair my 308 bolt that i bought from mile high could be out of spec but they and Ai wont tell me what the spec should be!
    Timing the barrell is pointing the droop of the barrell at 12 or 6 oclock

Have you sent a PM to Tom Irwin? Tom is an owner of AI who resides in the US and often posts here on the Hide.

This won't work unless all barrels are cut with same reamer and even then setups by different smiths can and will affect chamber dimensions ever so slightly. I highly recommend that anyone that knows future barrels are in play, same caliber regardless of base platform, get their own finish reamer and go gage. Just a smart thing to do.

Thats a pretty tall order. Certainly it can be done but there is more than headspace to consider if moving brass between platforms is a goal.

Regarding your experiences, seems like a simple customer service fix was in order for you. It's infortunate you had issues, but consider the shear volume of these barrels out there. I believe the big suppliers of these are doing them CNC now. I have a half dozen barrels for my AW. The two i bought from mile high and AINA are absolutely spot on...like touching on a go gauge, which is how I like it, but i'm handloading.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with gunsmithing AI barrels, but your average gunsmith or machinist wont touch them. Certainly you may know someone who will, but that isnt the norm. This was the problem for years. They arent like doing a remington, where you can screw the receiver onto the barrel while it's still in the lathe to time flutes or muzzle exit. I built myself gauges to easily measure headspace and barrel timing. AI has been supplying barrels for their guns for a long time without issue, and i dont think anything has changed.

Really?!? I doubt you (White Mamba) know WTF you're talking about in reference to an AI AXMC platform.

I've owned an AXMC for 3 years now purchased barrels from Tooley, Mile High and EuroOptic with no issue on being out of spec. The reason for the difference companies for me, not sticking with one, has been availability of barrels.

I have either been stupidly lucky or this platform is gods gift to multi-caliber like a DT.

Do you even own this platform or purchased these barrels?

Try not to be a idiot

All of our production and aftermarket AX and AXMC barrels, for US customers, are now produced by WIN TACTICAL. The blanks are from Bartlein, the thread and chamber are machined on a CNC lathe in one setup and the muzzle threads in a separate CNC lathe. WIN TACTICAL then Cerakotes the barrel and laser engraves it with an AI logo,
    WIN TACTICAL supplies production barrels to AI in Fredericksburg, VA and aftermarket barrels to MIle High and Euro Optic.
    The processes to complete these barrels has been significantly improved over the past two years and the quality is exceptional, meeting the standards you would expect of an AI product.
    Tom Irwin
    Accuracy International

This won't work unless all barrels are cut with same reamer and even then setups by different smiths can and will affect chamber dimensions ever so slightly. I highly recommend that anyone that knows future barrels are in play, same caliber regardless of base platform, get their own finish reamer and go gage. Just a smart thing to do.

Thanks Dave, i should clarify. I have boxes of brass from sold rifles, worn out barrells, etc. They just get used for load development, hunting, plinking.
    Once i know a load i have dies to set for a rifle. Its just nice when multiple rifles are somewhat close to save brass life

Thanks Dave, i should clarify. I have boxes of brass from sold rifles, worn out barrells, etc. They just get used for load development, hunting, plinking.
    Once i know a load i have dies to set for a rifle. Its just nice when multiple rifles are somewhat close to save brass life

Let me get this straight, white bamba...allegedly owns, has owned and purchased high-end barrels for an AI gun that is typically worth 1000's of dollars, yet is worried about saving money on brass?

That asked/said he has also highjacked this thread from its original question.

It appears odd and more like a post troll.

As someone who knows WhiteMamba and shoots with him on a regular basis I can confirm he owns and shoots many AI rifles with Schmidt & Bender scopes on them. His latest is a 338 Lapua.
    And if you have a gunsmith that can't cut metric threads you don't have much of a gunsmith.
    Dave Tooley answered the question you need to use the same reamer and you need to use the same gunsmith to use the same brass.
    It's done all the time in Benchrest but maybe not here?
    Lynn Dragoman