• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to find a sunshade for a Athlon Cronus 56mm ??

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
I purchased a new (black finish) Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 a few months back and (my bad) didn't realize that it didn't come with a sunshade. Now I'm having a B@#%H of a time finding one to fit. Seems this model uses a different thread and diameter than the other 56 mm Athlon products. So far I've purchased two (when I was luck enough to find one listed as in stock) and they either didn't fit or were WAY off in color. Seems they are just out of stock everywhere.... Anybody know when I can buy one (in black)? Any leads greatly appreciated.

Wait, so you found one that fits but it's off in color? What does the color matter? Spray paint the whole damn thing or throw some camo wrap over it. Oooorrr... leave it as is.

Stay away from Amazon. I've bought several of them and they didn't fit.

Yea, I've been stung by midway and amazon despite both saying the that the product was for the Cronus. At this point I'd take one that was off in color and wrap it but that option for an aftermarket shade also seems long gone. Ill look into the Night forcce shade and if not, hope Athlon gets some more in soon. Amazing that when you spend 4 figures on a scope you have to struggle with something as simple as a sun shade. it should just be included.
Update: I just ordered the shade for the Nightforce. Hopefully this is the end. :)

Last edited:
Where did you order it from? Also, please let us know if it fits. Thanks.
I ordered it off Amazon but it indicates that its an original Night Force Optics brand. At $49, it's near 1/2 the price of what Athlon was getting but I can't imagine anything from Night Force being interior.. Anyway It will be here in two days and is completely returnable. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYAggie
I ordered it off Amazon but it indicates that its an original Night Force Optics brand. At $49, it's near 1/2 the price of what Athlon was getting but I can't imagine anything from Night Force being interior.. Anyway It will be here in two days and is completely returnable. I'll keep you all posted.
It's only $30 buying from Nightforce dealers, in fact even direct from Nightforce themselves for $30 and surely you can find one with free shipping and some sort of a discount.

"Nightforce NXS, ATACR, BEAST, SHV 3' Sunshade 56mm V310 - Nightforceusa.com" https://www.nightforceusa.com/nightforce-nxs-3-sunshade-56mm-v310.aspx

Shame on that Amazon dealer/ reseller.

Maybe that seller is buying them from EuroOptic just to resell them on Amazon or ebay just to be greedy and prey on unsuspecting victims. Can't believe it he's sold out so there must have been a lot of unsuspecting buyers who paid way more than they should have who didn't even bother to price check other places on the internet.

I really can't stand dealers or second party sellers outright ripping off hard working people like this. If Nightforce has them listed for $30 why pay a lot more for it? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Worst case scenario EuroOptic with free shipping but I'm sure there's other places offering free shipping plus a slight discount maybe Brownells? At least 10% off or maybe 15% with their current optics and accessories sale.

"Nightforce NXS 3" 56mm Sunshade V310 for sale! - EuroOptic.com" https://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-3-sunshade-56mm-v310.aspx

The NF Tenebraex lens covers look cool too not sure if eyepiece side fits though.

The $19 savings by not getting hosed on the $49 Amazon one buying from EuroOptic with free shipping cuts at least one of the Tenebraex lens cover by almost half the cost.

BTW the genuine Athlon Cronus BTR 56mm sunshade only cost $30 as well when reputable (NON-RIPOFF) dealers have them in stock and $23.99 when they go on sale like this coming Black Friday sale.

Beware there are dealers out there who want to charge you the maximum dollars for your purchases as you found out first hand. People keep on getting ripped off buying through them, dealer keeps on keeping on this way. Whenever paying almost double the price for the exact same item, you aren't getting twice the quality.

If it's too late to cancel the Amazon order, at least they might have free returns and you get to first hand screw in that overpriced sunshade few times before returning it to buy it for a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for that! When I did my google search for "Nightforce v310 sunshade" , Amazon was the first link that came up. I was just so thrilled to see one in stock, I pulled the trigger immediately. Probably should have looked further but the 2 day delivery and zero hassle returns sealed it. I actually used credit on my Amazon Prime CC to purchase so my out of pocket is $0 at this time. ( I have allot of credit at Amazon since I buy everything from canned sardines to clothes there. It's not always the cheapest but it's usually competitive and always the easiest for me. )
p.s. I just checked and the amazon unit has already shipped ( as expected) but I checked the europtic site anyway. ( Good company!). They were getting $16 shipping on the $30 sunshade so I guess that one would be a wash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scopeye
Not sure how my search missed this.

You didn’t miss anything other than a trip to your local Amazon return spot. I clicked on that same link in that thread and Amazon sent the wrong one……again. He just got lucky and got one that fit. I should take advantage of their return policy and order 10 of them; maybe one would be correct and I could return the others.

Reactions: cuz and LuvDog
You didn’t miss anything other than a trip to your local Amazon return spot. I clicked on that same link in that thread and Amazon sent the wrong one……again. He just got lucky and got one that fit. I should take advantage of their return policy and order 10 of them; maybe one would be correct and I could return the others.

That link is the link that I used multiple times before he posted it. a year or so ago... and they never did send the correct one, so I stopped after a few attempts. Especially now since Amazon returns has gotten to the point where they want you to go to Kohls or Whole Foods to do a free return and have started to charge to print a UPS label. Not all the time, but more and more the only free return option I have is to take it to a store that I don't normally go to... so that's a waste of my time and effort

Reactions: KYAggie
Thanks for that! When I did my google search for "Nightforce v310 sunshade" , Amazon was the first link that came up. I was just so thrilled to see one in stock, I pulled the trigger immediately. Probably should have looked further but the 2 day delivery and zero hassle returns sealed it. I actually used credit on my Amazon Prime CC to purchase so my out of pocket is $0 at this time. ( I have allot of credit at Amazon since I buy everything from canned sardines to clothes there. It's not always the cheapest but it's usually competitive and always the easiest for me. )
p.s. I just checked and the amazon unit has already shipped ( as expected) but I checked the europtic site anyway. ( Good company!). They were getting $16 shipping on the $30 sunshade so I guess that one would be a wash.
"This item ships for free" when you scroll down below the notify me when product price is reduced. Current in stock price $30.00.

"Nightforce NXS 3" 56mm Sunshade V310 for sale! - EuroOptic.com" https://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-3-sunshade-56mm-v310.aspx

For cross reference on compatibility for other scopes. Doesn't work if the generic Amazon sunshade doesn't have threads on the inside though.

"Tenebraex Flip Cap for 56mm Objective SB5603-FCV for sale! - EuroOptic.com" https://www.eurooptic.com/tenebraex...midt-bender-and-nightforce-scopes-use-wi.aspx

Reactions: WeeHooker
Just to close the loop on this one. The Nightforce branded V310 sunshade arrived from Amazon today and fit perfectly, I haven't had it out in the sun yet but I'd say the color/ finish is VERY close. ( This is a flash picture in my basement) Very happy with the product and to be done with this Easter egg hunt!

Attachments

• 20231026_164856.jpg
    20231026_164856.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231026_164742.jpg
    20231026_164742.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Scopeye