• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to find cheap XM193 pills ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
A buddy and I are starting to roll our own plinking ammo. Looking to pick up some 55gr pills as cheap as possible.

What are you guys running and where are you getting them?

Are we being penny wise and pound foolish by looking for pulled XM193 ? I see a lot of talk about the the 55gr Hornady FMJBT are the way to go but have zero experience with them.

I'd say 90% of our shooting with be on the fundamentals and a carbine class or two. 300yds would be our absolute maximum with these rifles with the majority being much closer (<100yds). We're both still getting our feet wet and are running stock off the shelf ARs. I'm not expecting a miracle out of these rifles but would like something decent.

Appreciate any thoughts and heads up.

Re: Where to find cheap XM193 pills ?

Look for 55gr Zmax. They come in 500 packs and are pretty damn cheap. And they look cool.

I shoot a lot of Hornady 55 grain fmj bullets from 250 in. For the money they are a great deal. When I plan on shooting longer I shoot nosler cc 77 grain

Most of the 55gr FMJs I've shot have been disappointing, 2MOA or more factory and handloaded. The only ones I ever shot that weren't were a fellow's handloads, all he knew were they were Hornadys over Benchmark, I've yet to attempt to figure out the charge weight but I intend to someday, didn't shoot any groups but once I figured my hold I was steadly smashing clay pigeons at 320yds, with my cheap 16" 1:9 AR. I know that's nothing amazing, specially for this crowd, but its the best I've seen a 55fmj do, and Benchmark meters decent so the combination should be progressive friendly. Lotta 50-55gr varmint bullets availible in bulk too. I wouldn't expect much at all from pulled surplus bullets, it'd take a smokin deal for me to pay for them.

Check out montana bullets. They sell them in bulk for cheap and I think they will work for your application.

Thanks for the info guys.

I may keep my eye open for some Hornady 55gr. I might also pick up just a few hundred of pulled surplus 193 bullets and try them out. 2 MOA would be fine for what I'm doing.

Thanks!

I got some of the Hornady 55 grain fmjbt for $452 delivered for 6000 bullets from Mid South. They ship in a USPS flat rate box. I coaxed four shots into one hole at 100 yards with another flier 1/2 inch away using 26 grains 8208 xbr in LC 09 brass annealed with no crimp and #41 primers. The brass held 31.2 grains water. This is out of a Colt 6724.

I've shot cases of the Montana Gold 55 gr "pills".

When I do my part they give me sub MOA accuracy at 100 yards from a Bushmaster Disapator barrel (heavy 16" with rifle length gas system).

Shipped to your door via USPS. Sure makes the Postal Carrier give you a dirty look when they bring them to your door
eek.gif

The last bulk "XM193" 55's I bought was from Natchez....advertised as new XM193, and were on sale.

But that was a couple of years ago........

Wideners has them pretty cheap, can't remember the price.