• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to get beginning instruction

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
Hi guys, new to the forum here and looking to get into precision rifle shooting. I've done a lot of reading here and have learned much - mainly I've learned how much I don't know about shooting and what I need to learn.

I've done a little shooting, 99% pistols though and I want to start learning how to shoot long range. Since I have almost no experience with rifles I'm starting small - I've got a couple savage .22s, one for irons, one for optics.

From the reading I've done I feel like I understand <span style="font-style: italic">what</span> the fundamentals of shooting are, but I think I'd do better if I had someone checking me to see if I am employing those fundamentals correctly. I've seen plenty of classes for precision rifle training like the Rifles Only courses, and I'd like to get to one of those eventually but where should I look for beginner training?

Re: Where to get beginning instruction

First off - Welcome to the 'Hide.

There is a section of the forum here to meet up with local members. You might try there to see if you can find a local mentor. Or, someone might be able to recommend someplace to take a class local to you. I know there are a lot of places in TX to get training, and I think a few of them do "custom" training as opposed to preset courses, so I would bet you could get someone to give you training using the equipment you have.

I'll say this too - I think you are starting at the right spot with the .22s. You can get lots of cheap trigger time. You can learn and refine the skills you'll need for a centerfire. And, while you are at the range you'll see other equipment and start getting an idea for what you really want so that you don't do like most of us and go through a few rifles until we have what we really want.

While there is nothing like face to face training, don't overlook the online training here. It's much better than just getting a DVD or a book because you can ask questions on topics you don't understand.

Good luck in your progress!

Pretty much the same that was already said.

The 22 is an excellent training aide and is commonly overlooked due to it not being perceived as a real caliber. When I went to adv training after already having used the G3A3 we were shooting 22s for the first half of our marksmanship evolutions. This was mainly due to being able to more easily see any mistakes you were making that could now not be masked by recoil. Things like trigger manipulation as well as proper follow through became very evident and corrective instruction was easy to instill.

Additionally, given ammo as the limiting factor, shooting at 100 to 200 meters in the wind with a 22 are the equivalent of shooting a 308 at 600 to 800 if I recall correctly. I'm sure someone knows the exact reference, but you get the idea.

For basic skills and correct marksmanship you can't go wrong. Read a few books that leave the sniper aspect out of things and focus on raw shooting, I think Tubbs has a book specifically geared towards this as well as many others. Leave the tactical aspect out for now.

Learn proper technique, find great 22 ammo for your rifle and learn holdovers, adjustments and how to utilize the mildot correctly based on the shooting data you keep. Then move on to range estimation drills and wind calls.

By the time you move up to a 308 you'll realize that everything is already familiar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much the same that was already said.

The 22 is an excellent training aide and is commonly overlooked due to it not being perceived as a real caliber. When I went to adv training after already having used the G3A3 we were shooting 22s for the first half of our marksmanship evolutions. This was mainly due to being able to more easily see any mistakes you were making that could now not be masked by recoil. Things like trigger manipulation as well as proper follow through became very evident and corrective instruction was easy to instill.

Additionally, given ammo as the limiting factor, shooting at 100 to 200 meters in the wind with a 22 are the equivalent of shooting a 308 at 600 to 800 if I recall correctly. I'm sure someone knows the exact reference, but you get the idea.

For basic skills and correct marksmanship you can't go wrong. Read a few books that leave the sniper aspect out of things and focus on raw shooting, I think Tubbs has a book specifically geared towards this as well as many others. Leave the tactical aspect out for now.

Learn proper technique, find great 22 ammo for your rifle and learn holdovers, adjustments and how to utilize the mildot correctly based on the shooting data you keep. Then move on to range estimation drills and wind calls.

By the time you move up to a 308 you'll realize that everything is already familiar. </div></div>

Couldn't agree with you more. .22 is a great training aid. Nothing is the same though as what you plan on shooting.

look into appleseed shoots - fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, standing, seated, prone - sling use - 70$ for 2 days

Thanks for the suggestions guys, they are appreciated.

Through George's suggestion on Appleseed shoots, I have found a place fairly close that does offer one on one instruction for beginners at a reasonable price. Additionally the facility hosts appleseed shoots one of which will be in about a month. The whole appleseed project sounds great and I will be attending.

In the mean time I plan to get out to the range and start shooting these .22s on a weekly basis, perhaps twice a week if I find time, as well as get a little one on one instruction. As mentioned, the .22 will give me ample practice to learn the fundamentals; I know everyone wants the awesome tactical .308 rifles, including me, but right now that would just be a waste of money as I need to learn to reflexively apply the fundamentals without thought which I know can only be done by sending a few thousand rounds downrange. Once I feel like I can do that I'll move up to a .223 bolt gun and then .308 - fortunately those are both guns I want to add to the collection so it gives me a good reason to buy more guns in the future.

I forgot about apple seed. Go to one. You will learn how to use a sling and get into shooting positions. They are great!

Try the online training on this site as well, lots of good info there. If you want some feedback and don't have anybody to shoot with, you can use a camcorder and film yourself. Can help you identify if you are straight back behind the rifle or film from the side, close to your face and see if you are flinching or anticipating the recoil.

I just finished a week of CMP camp this week with AZ air rifle teams. I can't say enough good about the training CMP provides, the kids got to spend 3 days being coached by NCAA and US olympic shooters that fine tuned their skills. Through this we were able to increase the scores of kids who were top 20 shooters in the jrotc nationals by 5 points or better in 3x10 test scores.