• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to get bolt handle repaired

hdbiker1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2010
SW Wa
A friend of mine was shooting his newly chambered Rem 700 in 22-250 when he encountered a fired brass that wouldn't extract. He then applied too much force on the oversized bolt knob, it broke off. Now, what kind of repair would all of you suggest he get and where? I'm sure he would be very grateful for the advise.

Re: Where to get bolt handle repaired

Should have purchased a savage, lol With all kidding aside show a picture of the thing. If its not that bad any local gunsmith will work.

the old bolt and handle need to have the old solder remnants removed. Then, locate the handle perfectly on the bolt body and resolder. Afterwards you can drill through the handle and onto the bolt body, tap and screw together for a little extra measure of strength.

Did the knob come off the handle, or the handle off the bolt.

The knob broke off at the threads. I've read of some shops that face off the break and install a stud, but I don't recollect who was doing this on a regular basis as opposed to installing a whole new handle.

If,the TactiKool modification was done right to begin with,it wouldn't be broken.

The handle doesn't need more BASTARDIZING by adding screws in an attempt to hold the handle to the bolt body.

I would just get a new bolt handle to be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks like a good guy to talk to about your problem http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1694791&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>
Ding-ding-ding! This is exactly right. Contact <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> here over over at Sniper Central. His name is "Matt", and he does great work. Matt installs the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion, TIG-welding and finish grinding the junction smooth for surface finishing. The photo's in Matt's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Some bolt knob install pictures"</span></span> tread don't show the Tac Ops Bolt Knob threaded-on, so below are some photos a TOBKC on a RH Tac Ops X-Ray 51 (base rifle Remington 700) compared to a competitor's BKC on the competitor's LH rifle (base rifle Remington 700). Notice the differences in the length of the bolt handles and the shape of the bolt handle transitions from shank to threaded area. There are also some photos of a TOBKC on a Tac Ops Green Hornet (base rifle Ruger 77/22)

<span style="font-weight: bold">It should be noted that the TOBKC IS NOT a DIY install - it requires <span style="font-style: italic">competent</span> TIG welding, surface grinding, and finish work for the best results.</span> I mention this because I've seen a lot of hack-jobs where people didn't properly install the TOBKC by welding-on the hardened, threaded insert and then finish grinding everything smooth. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">If desired</span></span> the bolt handle can be lengthened by about 1/4" over the stock length. <span style="font-style: italic">If a stock length bolt handle is desired, the bolt handle needs to be shortened (about 1/4") before the hardened, threaded insert is welded-on. This will provide a shorter OAL bolt handle like with the installation of most other BKCs'.</span>

On the Remington and other "square" bolt handles, not only can you lengthen the bolt handle with a <span style="font-style: italic">properly-installed TOBKC</span>, but a properly-installed TOBKC also provides a smooth transition from the bolt handle shank to the bolt knob. Most other bolt knob installs give you a crappy-looking, abrupt change from a square shank to a round bolt knob.

<span style="font-weight: bold">TOBKC on Tac Ops X-Ray 51 bolt handle. Note the perfectly smooth transition from the handle to where the round Knob threads-on:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobFlushFit8x6.jpg

TacOpsBoltHandle8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's BKC on Competitor's bolt handle. Note the abrupt change from square handle to where the round Knob threads-on:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandle18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's LH Bolt (on Left) compared to Tac Ops RH Bolt (on Right). Notice the slightly longer handle on the Tac Ops Bolt:</span>
TacOpsCompetitorsBolts8x6.jpg

Now on the rifles. Getting the angle the same for both guns was tricky, so it may be difficult to see the actual clearance difference in in the photos. However, in person the clearance delta is substantial.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Look at the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on this Tac Ops Bolt:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobClearance26x8-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on the competitor's bolt:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandlleClearance6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, look at the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the Tac Ops rifle:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobCloseup6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the competitor's rifle:</span>
CompetitorsBoltKnobClearance6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion on Tac Ops Green Hornet:</span></span>
GreenHornetActionCU8x6.jpg

GreenHornetSafetyCU18x6.jpg

I highly recommend that you contact <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"monteboy84"</span></span> here on the Hide or over at Sniper Central to see if he'll do the work on your rifle. I know that hes' fixed a bunch of bolt handles that were hacked by other people, including some that were installed by someone here on the Hide'. Matt does great work, installing the TOBKC THE RIGHT WAY, by TIG-welding it on and then grinding and blending the welds between the bolt handle and the TIG-welded insert perfectly smooth before finishing. Be sure to check-out <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Some bolt knob install pictures"</span></span> thread. In that thread <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> shows bolts in various stages of the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion.

Keith

Now that does look really sweet. But I think my friend is having the gunsmith who's doing the bedding fix it.