• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to get oddball taps

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
Can anyone give me a source to purchase a couple oddball through hole taps ? I need a #3-20 tpi and #3-24 tpi tap to complete restoration of a couple Civil War era firearms. I assume it will have to be a custom job... sometimes staying 100% original is hard :)

Thanks,

Re: Where to get oddball taps

One more idea...if you have a lathe. Just make your own. Making a tap (if you have a good lathe you can thread on) isn't all that hard. We used to make custom ones all the time for really oddball threading.

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a #3-20 tpi and #3-24 tpi tap to complete restoration of a couple Civil War era firearms.</div></div>

Are we talking wood screws here?
It would seem to me that the typical 20tpi thread depth would not leave much root diameter on a #3 machine screw.

Wholesale Tool out of Tulsa,OK (800 331-4075) has a bunch of oddball taps and dies.

If that really is a #3-20 tap, it's pretty coarse for the size so the web of the tap will be quite thin. If I were making it, I'd thread it out of mild steel and give it a quick kasenit surface hardening only about .001" deep, but still draw it to 450 or 500 deg. The softer steel inside will give that thin web a little more strength than tool steel, and a thou of case ought to work on that job. It should be pretty soft stuff.

I ended up taking a screw to a local shop and thay made me a quick and easy tap based on it and threaded my part at no charge. Nice guy and he apparently liked the challenge. It worked perfectly...

I gotta ask if I had the thread pitch correct. It wouldn't fit in any of my thread gauges, but I only have standard thread gauges. Something tells me my method of counting turns in .25" and multiplying by 4 didn't work correctly and the thread was actually somethuing around 32 or so... The screw did measure .099 so it was a #3.

Mike