• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to get primers? Argh!

DeeGee

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Ventura County, Ca
I've been shooting factory ammunition (FGMM) in my .308 for 8 months, saving the empty brass. I have plenty of powder, picked up here and there (Varget and Vihtavuori). I have equipment, either already on hand or easily available. And I cannot find any primers anywhere, for any price. I've been checking 15-20 sites online for months; most won't even take a back order any more. It's getting expensive buying case after case of factory ammunition because there are no primers to be found. Is this situation ever going to ease? I have about 2000 empty cases and another 2000 being emptied. Where can I get a few thousand primers?

Re: Where to get primers? Argh!

Try this guy Cory at Uinta Sporting Goods 307-789-0515 he might be able to hook you up

Perhaps I misunderstand their site. I took this quote:

At this time we are not taking any new backorders for primers that are not listed here. We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder. If you currently have a backorder in place your order will be processed as primers become available. Once we begin receiving more primers from the manufacturers and are able to begin filling current backorders we will update the website.

to mean that you cannot place an order for primers not in stock. Not so?

Check the following:
Midway USA
Powder Valley
Natchez Shooters supply
Third Generation Shooters Supply
Graf and Sons

Memory fails but there are others that will have something though match primers seem hardest to find.

Good luck.

Wow, this is getting ugly. I checked every vendor I know of and found no Large Rifle Magnum primers in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeeGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps I misunderstand their site. I took this quote:

At this time we are not taking any new backorders for primers that are not listed here. We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder. If you currently have a backorder in place your order will be processed as primers become available. Once we begin receiving more primers from the manufacturers and are able to begin filling current backorders we will update the website.

to mean that you cannot place an order for primers not in stock. Not so? </div></div>

Yes, the stuff that is listed on the site is in stock and you can order it. I have received a bunch from powder valley in the last few months as well as sinclair int'l. Wolf was in stock at PVI for a while. I looked at the listing for nearly two weeks before calling them. When I finally did call they said I could have as much as I wanted. Sinclair has been getting Sellier & Bellot primers by the pallet every few weeks. I have some of those as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this is getting ugly. I checked every vendor I know of and found no Large Rifle Magnum primers in stock. </div></div>

Well with my pistol primers I was lucky enough to be sitting next to the fiance on the computer when the email came from Midway that the primers came in. She checked the ballance of the credit card to buy more than 5 but when I called Midway 5 minutes after the order they were gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the stuff that is listed on the site is in stock and you can order it. I have received a bunch from powder valley in the last few months as well as sinclair int'l. Wolf was in stock at PVI for a while. I looked at the listing for nearly two weeks before calling them. When I finally did call they said I could have as much as I wanted. Sinclair has been getting Sellier & Bellot primers by the pallet every few weeks. I have some of those as well. </div></div>

Yesterday I ordered a bunch of CCI primers from PV. They showed not in stock, but what the heck, I guess I'm in the queue. August 8th, order. We'll see when it is shipped.

The place I get mine from is Midway. If they don't have what you want, put it on E-mail alert and they will e-mail you when it is in....Midway is top notch on customer service. They are serious about pleasing customers......We have been buying for years from them..( Me and my brother-in-laws).SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this is getting ugly. I checked every vendor I know of and found no Large Rifle Magnum primers in stock. </div></div>
I bought some primers a few months back. To find them, I got on the Midway e-mail list, and I created bookmarks for the major online dealers that sold primers and I checked them all at least once per day. Further, I checked the local emporiums as often as I could. Good luck for sure!

You might check with Holland Shooters Supply
541 439 5155 powder brass primers and bullets ( nosler, sierra, and some berger)

The Scheels in rapid city Sd has 65 Bricks of Federal Match small rifle as of yesterday for 39.99 per brick and 30 or so of regular small rifle there was some large rifle but I don't recall how many. I hope this helps

Well, I just received a shipping notification from Powder Valley. So, I ordered the primers on Saturday the 8th, and they shipped on Monday the 10th. That's pretty good service on a product that always shows out of stock. Those of you looking, just go ahead and order - no one shows them in stock, but it appears from this thread that many are receiving. Soon I will be among them.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeeGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I just received a shipping notification from Powder Valley. So, I ordered the primers on Saturday the 8th, and they shipped on Monday the 10th. That's pretty good service on a product that always shows out of stock. Those of you looking, just go ahead and order - no one shows them in stock, but it appears from this thread that many are receiving. Soon I will be among them.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Which ones did you end up ordering?

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which ones did you end up ordering?

J </div></div>

I ordered CCI BR2 primers. I don't have enough experience to want or recommend one brand over another.