• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Where to get stencils cut for a paint job?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Guys, buddy wants an extremely detailed stencil (raising the flag on Iwo Jima) for a paint job and there is no way I can hand cut it. Does anyone know of a reasonable company that does small quanities of vinyl stencils? Seems like everyone I found only does high volume or wants a bunch of set up cash to cut a few out. Im doing it as a favor and dont want to pay $100 for one stencil.

Re: Where to get stencils cut for a paint job?

I spent some time stenciling a few years back, this is my technique.

Get a pic of the Iwo Jima image, print it out in your desired size/scale. Get some posterboard and a stencil xacto from a hobby store. I got my xacto for less than $10 with replacement blades.

Use a pen like the uni-ball or something with fountain-esque ink that has a tendency to bleed though the paper, and trace out the image from the printed picture to your posterboard; or you can use a push pin and preforate the image borders. You should pin or tape the paper to the posterboard so it does not shift on you.

If you are doing a stencil with multiple colors, you will have to print the image for however many colors you want to spray, then make up a stencil for each color. Alignment of the image and posterboard is extra crucial when doing multiple stencil colors, and when spraying the stencils they need to be indexed so the colors all line up correctly.

When that is finished and your posterboard has the stencil outlines, you can start tracing out the lines with your xacto. To cut the corners your slices will have to intersect in little x's or the edges will tear and mess up your borders. Take your time, don't rush the project, its easy to fatigue yourself and screw up so do the cutting in batches, make sure your xacto stays sharp, they have a tendency to dull so replace the blades when it becomes laborous.

When you finish cutting your stencil, spraying the image needs special care too. Mask off everything to avoid overspray, (if your posterboard is too small or the image is near the borders you will spray the posterboard outline onto your 'canvas') make sure you have no gaps between your stencil and your canvas or the paint will get underneath the stencil lines. Circles, squares, holes that have to be cut into your stencil can be accomplished by making a little slice to get from a solid border to the hole...doing the stencil right takes a little bit of studying to determine how the cuts need to be made.

As far as printing out an image for stenciling goes, you can print grayscale versions of an image and then make a stencil for each gradient in shading for a full color stencil. Practice cutting basic stuff first like letters and simple shapes, and spraying it onto cardboard to get an idea of the painting and cutting techniques.

Its do-able, take your time and your end result may suprise you.

Powder,
thanks for the tips. Fortunetly it will be a silhouette in dark grey with only the flag getting some red, white and blue highlights.

I have tried cutting on a adhesive vinyl twice and just cannot get the fine detail I was hoping for. I think I have a thicker grade of vinyl and wonder if going to something thinner will allow me to make better cuts. So far I have learned the hardway on making stencils.

I know Jrose has those sweet naked ladies cut out in various shapes and he mentioned he had them cut out by someone.

Thinner will be easier to cut. I used posterboard because it is about as thin as I could get without compromising rigidity..also solvents in spray paints will eat up the posterboard after awhile but its more readily avaliable than vinyl for stenciling, its also a great way to get started in painting camo patterns.

contact bulldogarms.com. He made some custom stencils for me in the past for about $20 or so.

I can help out in those regards also

have you tried any of your local vinyl graphic shops
the vinyl shops i have delt with did most all their work as
smaller one off jobs