• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to go next?

kala_azar

Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Northern Virginia
For a little background-

I hunt whitetails here in SC, nothing long range about that. I also shoot out to 100 yards on steel and paper at the gun club, and I'm hoping to be able to get to a "tactical/practical" style LR match here someday, esp. one in the SE. I'm also looking at an elk hunt in CO next fall.

Right now I am running a 308 built on an FN SPR (currently under the knife w/ Mark at Accurate Ordnance), and a 300 WSM Model 70 Extreme Weather (purchased originally for a plains game hunt in Namibia in August, which was AWESOME).

The 300 WSM I love, this gun is a little light for extended range time, but it's surprisingly accurate with the factory barrel. Only work I've done was a light trigger job and flush cups for the stock.

With those two guns on the books already, I also have a used FN PBR in 300 WSM waiting for me at my dealer, and I'm really keen on the idea of putting it into an XLR chassis for long range time at my club. It's still wearing the original chrome-lined barrel, so I'm thinking if that turns out to be worn out, <span style="font-weight: bold">what would you guys recommend for a rebarrel caliber?</span> I'm happy with my 300 M70, and I'd love to branch out, so,

maybe a 6.5 WSM or 7 WSM? I really want to get into a short action 6.5 like a x47 or Creedmor, but with the WSM action on this new gun, I think I'd be better served sticking to a WSM parent cartridge.

Help! Too many options!!!!
laugh.gif

Re: Where to go next?

The 6.5 and 7 WSM's are awesome little rounds. A friend of mine has one of the 6.5 WSM's, and it is very impressive at long range with today's VLD bullet offerings.