• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Where to move..........?

NorwegianSniperViking

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
Norway
I am from Norway (Europe), my girl and i sat and talked a little bit here one night to perhaps take a trip to the USA and stay there for one or two years. Since i am very interested in long range / precision shooting it would be fun to know where in the States it is best for long range/precision(100m to 1800m/100yd to 2000yd) shooting, I think of such as the people and the "best" ranges, etc.. we do not have strict requirements for environment, but have absolutely nothing against a warm stay. I'm just interesting to hear what you think about it.

Re: Where to move..........?

Wisconsin.... no doubt.... lotsa Norske there....lefse and lutefisk...ya man.... I shoot at Lodi (100-1200 yds.)Holmen,Eau Claire and Beloit.
bill larson

If i just stay there for a year or two, is it any problem for me(since i am a norwegian citizen, not american)to buy guns and ammo? Is it any rules in America about weapons and non-american citizen?

Lookup American redoubt that's where to shoot, as for the legal stuff use google.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Wisconsin.... no doubt.... lotsa Norske there....lefse and lutefisk...ya man.... I shoot at Lodi (100-1200 yds.)Holmen,Eau Claire and Beloit.
bill larson </div></div>

Grew up in a very Swedish part of Wisconsin, but as far as long-range shooting goes you can't compete with some of the western and southern states. I get depressed seeing some of the pictures the guys on here post and their long-range opportunities.

i'v ben thinking of moving my self i'm a first gen swed living in a deep freez in michigan. thinking about seling my 106 acer hunting camp in northern mich. and taking the $100,000.00 retirement buyout from ford and moving out to the south west where i can shoot all year long. south west would be my move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but as far as long-range shooting goes you can't compete with some of the western and southern states. </div></div>

Why? I understand its a god distance between, or it is any rules that says that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but as far as long-range shooting goes you can't compete with some of the western and southern states. </div></div>

Why? I understand its a god distance between, or it is any rules that says that? </div></div>

I'm only saying that there are many more opportunities for long range (+1000m) shooting in the western and southern US states. Up here in Minnesota and Wisconsin there are only a few ranges that go to those distances.

I think the whole question is rather ambiguous. Are you looking to shoot long distance as the primary criteria, or do you also want city living; cold weather shooting to mimic Norway; shooting/ close to tourist stuff; hunting????? In the US there is any environment you can think of, somewhere at some time. Add a little bit more to the question and I think you will get more informed answers. If you decide on South Carolina, bring me some Mack Beer and I will take you shooting.
grin.gif
Good Luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trmorris21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the whole question is rather ambiguous. Are you looking to shoot long distance as the primary criteria, or do you also want city living; cold weather shooting to mimic Norway; shooting/ close to tourist stuff; hunting????? In the US there is any environment you can think of, somewhere at some time. Add a little bit more to the question and I think you will get more informed answers. If you decide on South Carolina, bring me some Mack Beer and I will take you shooting.
grin.gif
Good Luck. </div></div>

I have changed a bit at first post.

but to answer your question, it is long range shooting/precision shooting(100m to 1800m/100yd to 2000yd) primary and the only criteria that apply to the shooting. As I wrote in the first post, environment is not very much to say, but we hope to have a warm stay. We do not want to live in the city, but also not alone in the country. something in between would be nice.

If I come to South Carolina and I will gladly take your beer, but mack?? : p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to the OP , what guns are you shooting ? </div></div>

Here in norway, i have a custom remington 700 .308. But if we go to the states, I will most likely go up to something larger caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why? I understand its a god distance between, or it is any rules that says that?</div></div>
I lived in Utah for close to 9 years within 30-40 minutes of downtown Salt Lake City. We had a nice house in a typical suburb-type neighborhood in a city West of SLC. Within 15-20 minutes of our house, there were pretty much limitless opportunities to shoot long range on public access land.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trmorris21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the whole question is rather ambiguous. Are you looking to shoot long distance as the primary criteria, or do you also want city living; cold weather shooting to mimic Norway; shooting/ close to tourist stuff; hunting????? In the US there is any environment you can think of, somewhere at some time. Add a little bit more to the question and I think you will get more informed answers. If you decide on South Carolina, bring me some Mack Beer and I will take you shooting.
grin.gif
Good Luck. </div></div>

I have changed a bit at first post.

but to answer your question, it is long range shooting/precision shooting(100m to 1800m/100yd to 2000yd) primary and the only criteria that apply to the shooting. As I wrote in the first post, environment is not very much to say, but we hope to have a warm stay. We do not want to live in the city, but also not alone in the country. something in between would be nice.

If I come to South Carolina and I will gladly take your beer, but mack?? : p </div></div>

Research Texas, there is alot of differnt environments: East has alot of trees, South had the coast and hill country, West is arid, Central is flat and dry. Lots of small towns in the rural areas and larger cities for shopping and site seeing. But, what ever region the shooting is good and you will stay warm. Take care.

Here in Colorado Springs we have mild winters and are within a couple hours drive of two awesome 1000+ yard ranges. There are several private ranges in the immediate area as well, plus a huge national forest to shoot in. Just post in the member hookup thread and you should be able to accompany someone to their range as a guest.

We also have mild winters here...VERY mild this year. And will probably feel like summer based on your current location.