• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

where to shoot 600-1k? in oregon

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I'm willing to go a couple hours (I can't drive but my dad can :) I'm 14) to somewhere where I can shoot 1k and maybe camp out there for a day or two. I live in northern oregon around the portland area and I would like to find somewhere other than tri county, and douglas ridge to shoot 1k or 600 where I won't be bothered and shoot as long as I want. ( somewhere thats not a range more like a flat area that the public is aloud to shoot on and or somewhere were I can shoot 1k haven't been able to shoot it yet I just got into precision rifle shooting but I know A LOT for my age even more than most people when I go to gun store (you think they would know something about guns)

Last edited:
I think Lone Oak in Longview, Wa runs out to 600. I thought Tri-county in Sherwood did also but they're website says just 300.

If you and your Dad want to go for a drive, and camp, head down past Burns, then go to French Glen, past French Glen to Catlow valley, and out toward the Alvord desert. In the areas around Catlow valley, and the Alvord desert you can camp, and there is tons of BLM land where you can shoot. There are also some free hot springs outside of Fields.

If you want to stay somewhere, you can stay at the French Glen Inn, across the road from them is the Steens mountain resort. The steens mountain resort is actually a collection of decent mobile homes where you can sleep, cook, and relax. A really nice way to do things is to reserve your meals at the French Glen inn, get a lunch to go, they just sleep at the Steens mountain resort. There is also a little hotel in Fields that has about 10 rooms.

Both these places are a full 8-10 hours drive from portland. It takes about 6 hours to get to Burns, and another hour or two to get to the French Glen inn. Look it up on the internet as it is a famous stage coach stop. If you have never been in this area, you and your Dad can have a great time. There is also fishing at Mann Lake, and other places.

This is the far S.E. corner of the state, and is extremely remote. Don't think about going there with tires that aren't tough. I had good tires, and blew out both rear tires once.. It took a full half day before some kind soul took me from where I was into Burns, and back to my vehicle. That is the sort of kindness that isn't soon forgotten. The people down there are pure gold as far as I am concerned.

'Ya gotta ask yourself, "How many people from the Portland area would take a complete stranger and his two blown out tires two hours to a repair shop, wait with you while your tires get fixed, then take you two hours back to your vehicle, help you replace both tires, and do it all with a smile?"

The distances you can shoot down there are easliy 2000 yards or more.. Even a 416 Barret would run out of room down there.

sounds great and fishing is just a bonus. Yeah its like how long the drive was from southern california to here it was like 9hrs. Also yeah we have some nice people in this state, sometimes more than expected. People from portland (most) would just drive by and look at you thinking "what are they doing" not knowing what to do. Thanks for the reply and I will see what I can do.

what about that range in grants pass. I only had my .22 with me at the time but I remember it go's pretty far. at least 600yds.

Tri county in Sherwood does 600 on Tuesday nights I believe only in the summer. Need to be a member. COSSA in Bend does 1000 and you need to be a member as well....I shot there as part of a class that I took from OTS Northwest.

Mitch