• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to shoot a 20mm

Rusting_knight

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Like most good people, I got bit by the dumb idea fairy. I’d like to build a 20mm cannon, but I have no idea where to shoot the thing, especially being near Chicago. Any recommendations besides aurora sportsman’s club? Nice place, but pricey for how much I’m realistically able to shoot.

Like most good people, I got bit by the dumb idea fairy. I’d like to build a 20mm cannon, but I have no idea where to shoot the thing, especially being near Chicago. Any recommendations besides aurora sportsman’s club? Nice place, but pricey for how much I’m realistically able to shoot.
I’m not even sure ASC would allow it.

Hi,

Can you even get a DD permit in Illinois?

Are you seriously balking at a range price while talking about building a 20mm in the same thread lolol?

Sincerely,
Theis
The German would say go be poor somewhere else. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Barneybdb
Not sure if these ranges would allow it but
Lodi in Wisconsin goes to 1200
Firearm academy of Wisconsin in Sheboygan supposedly goes to 1400
Racine has a club out to 600

Not sure if these ranges would allow it but
Lodi in Wisconsin goes to 1200
Firearm academy of Wisconsin in Sheboygan supposedly goes to 1400
Racine has a club out to 600
1200 with a 20mm isn’t even enough for the shell to go to sleep or the velocity flat spot to kick in!

Sirhr

1200 with a 20mm isn’t even enough for the shell to go to sleep or the velocity flat spot to kick in!

Sirhr
I know but he said near Chicago. Longest range I know of in Illinois is 600. This area isn't like the west where you can just go out in the desert or mountains. I wish!

Vegas has a full auto show you just have to find out what it's called and see if you can bring yours

Reactions: NotByWorks
I know but he said near Chicago. Longest range I know of in Illinois is 600. This area isn't like the west where you can just go out in the desert or mountains. I wish!
There’s one place that goes out to just shy of 1700 yards, but I’ve already called and they won’t let you shoot anything bigger than 50 bmg

Reactions: White Death
I mean, whats the going rate for 20mm rounds? 50-100/per?

I mean, for what you are going to spend in ammo for 30 minutes of shooting, you can pay your range fees for the year.

This thread....just.....
And being serious about Serbu developing a 20mm...seriously?
tenor (5).gif

Move out west. Plenty of places to shoot your cannon.

Public ranges suck, regardless of what you’re shooting.

While you wait for the moving truck you can do your initial break-in and data collection on the south side of Chicago, I doubt anyone one will notice.

Here is my suggestion for what is actually going to be a lot cooler for you:

Save up your money and as soon as Hoplite Rifles announces they are starting work on the Phalanx rifle, get in line for one.

You'll be able to shoot some really cool existing and new cartridges, accurately, to distances that are beyond what that 20mm can do accurately.

Get good at it and then go to some ELR matches and compete at 2000 yards and 3000 yards and push out to 4000 yards.

The 20mm is totally impractical, and is outclassed by smaller stuff that can go further and be accurate.

Here is my suggestion for what is actually going to be a lot cooler for you:

Save up your money and as soon as Hoplite Rifles announces they are starting work on the Phalanx rifle, get in line for one.

You'll be able to shoot some really cool existing and new cartridges, accurately, to distances that are beyond what that 20mm can do accurately.

Get good at it and then go to some ELR matches and compete at 2000 yards and 3000 yards and push out to 4000 yards.

The 20mm is totally impractical, and is outclassed by smaller stuff that can go further and be accurate.
This.

And as for the 20mm being impractical... well, yes. The 25MM is far more practical. Especially in the form of a Hotchkiss Anti-tank gun. Now those things will reach out!

Sirhr

All this talk of 20mm....just boring, so yesterday.
What you really need to consider is.....
Wait for it.....

Millimeter

Bam!!

See what I mean?

Yeaaaahhhhh!
Why build a 20, when you can have a 30?

Pick out an abandoned house in the south side of Chicago, spray paint a target on it, then find another abandoned house a mile or 2 out within line of site and start lobbing rounds. This isn’t that hard
Totally legal.

This.

And as for the 20mm being impractical... well, yes. The 25MM is far more practical. Especially in the form of a Hotchkiss Anti-tank gun. Now those things will reach out!

Sirhr
That’s on the list too. The 20mm is absolutely impractical, this is just one of those because you can kind of projects, fun with friends and family not necessarily competing or anything. In the future I’d like to jump down the DD/NFA rabbit hole further, but until I move out of this hell hole state those plans are on hold.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Assuming it's legal to own in your state, I think you need to find property zoned rural, which is most of the bottom half of your state, or most of Indiana. You might need to fill out paperwork to take that across into Indiana.

I bought a Thompson SMG (in jail), I'm planning on shooting it on my "zoned rural" property. I'm 5 min from city.

• Love
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
We are waiting with hope that Truvelo gets organized enough to start making a bolt action large enough
for the 20/.688 we have played with in the past.
Our client wants a complete do over/ new build.
We use BLM land outside Vegas prior.
Alan

I believe the Anzio rifle is available for less then $7000. I agree with Theis, I'd like to see the "build" sheet. Somehow I get the feeling that the OP hasn't gone very far down the "rabbithole". Think he was bored and just wanted a arfcom kind of conversation.

We are waiting with hope that Truvelo gets organized enough to start making a bolt action large enough
for the 20/.688 we have played with in the past.
Our client wants a complete do over/ new build.
We use BLM land outside Vegas prior.
Alan

Hi,

Good luck with that. When the muscle head guy ( I cannot remember his name, lol) and few of the others quit in combination with all the Gov regulations shit that went down in ZA; Truvelo has pretty much focused everything over the the Traffic enforcement equipment.

You would probably have better luck getting Keary Ritchie to dig out the Warlock receiver manufacturing plans or just use the one Jon has and make an improved model yourself.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Good luck with that. When the muscle head guy ( I cannot remember his name, lol) and few of the others quit in combination with all the Gov regulations shit that went down in ZA; Truvelo has pretty much focused everything over the the Traffic enforcement equipment.

You would probably have better luck getting Keary Ritchie to dig out the Warlock receiver manufacturing plans or just use the one Jon has and make an improved model yourself.

Sincerely,
Theis
The one Jon has that we worked up prior is junk. I refuse to use it. It sits on a rack in a corner, never to be used again.
I will not undertake making from scratch.
I'll have to look into the warlock
thanks!

I believe the Anzio rifle is available for less then $7000. I agree with Theis, I'd like to see the "build" sheet. Somehow I get the feeling that the OP hasn't gone very far down the "rabbithole". Think he was bored and just wanted a arfcom kind of conversation.
I quite honestly didn’t know it was that cheap, I’m more familiar with the bolt action that I completely forgot about the other rifle they make. My plan was to do something like this, with a few modifications. I still need to find a place to shoot the damn thing, but a rifle like that is a lot more (relatively) practical

Hi,

What are you talking about in regards to jumping down the DD rabbit hole further...

It is the same hole for 20mm as it is for 40mm.

Please post your 20mm build components.

Sincerely,
Theis

I'll try to help him out a bit. Its a rough sketch but the details can be worked out later. The important thing is to get the ideas on paper. I can put more detail in further revisions.
20210812_164111.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: THEIS
I'll try to help him out a bit. Its a rough sketch but the details can be worked out later. The important thing is to get the ideas on paper. I can put more detail in further revisions.
View attachment 7683950

Hi,

That isn't too much different than the pipe gun he is interested in building.
He probably should call Serbu and see if they are hiring...

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Here I am just sitting here wishing a 14.5mm Soviet-based precision rifle was a reasonable option.

....another option, get a part time job, squirrel away some cash and buy a Soluthurn or Lahti.
Ammo slightly different but not like your going to be sending hundreds of rounds downnrange.

Reactions: deersniper