• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

where to shoot in Norcal wth cheytac

notyers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Tracy,California
I've been looking in these forums for a few months now and really find it helpful.I was wondering if anyone has a long range site other than the Hollister hills clear creek basin spot everyone seems to know.It is closed due to asbestos.I am in need of 1000 yards or more.

Re: where to shoot in Norcal wth cheytac

Just hop on 80 and head east to a little place called Nevada. Seriously though the Sacramento gun club has a 1000 yard range. Vu is one of the guys on here that puts on the tactical matches out there. Back in the mid 90's we could shoot or .50's at 1000 but the Big dollar homes out in Rancho Murrieta were complaining about the big BOOM sounds so they were trying to stay at the 300 yard range when not necassary. I moved from the Bay Area to Nv now my range is 2 minutes from home and i have my own firing line. My sons love it

i am pretty sure that a .408 is fine at sac valley shooting center. i think 50bmg is the only round prohibited. you will need to be a member or with a member to use the 1k range though. i'd call them for details before making the drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am pretty sure that a .408 is fine at sac valley shooting center. i think 50bmg is the only round prohibited. you will need to be a member or with a member to use the 1k range though. i'd call them for details before making the drive. </div></div>

Definitely check with Vu on shooting the 408. You can probably shoot the 1K range, but not the steel range.

I guess I am thinking not at a rifle club, more like BLM Land,or a huge farm, or forest area within 1 hour or so from East Bay.

Have you been up to Cow Mountain recreation area BLM land in Ukiah? It's further than an hour from the east bay though. I shoot there, there is a designated rifle/shooting range out to 500yards I think. I usually just find my own spot on the side of a mountain and set my own targets, lots of acres. The terrain is very steep and thick with cover so it would be hard to find a spot to set targets at a 1000. You shoot a rocks or what ever at a 1000 in some places I'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DucRacer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a 1K range out by/in Davis.
J- </div></div>

Where is that?

Rob,
There are a couple strips of BLM land near Little Panoche just north east of you. Nothing that caters to you for a range but there would be plenty of opportunities to bust rocks across canyons well out to 1000 yards.

That particular spot at Little Panoche Rd.,is closed I thought?It is BLM for the Hollister Hills Office.

i used to shoot up in the knoxville BLM area, but IIRC my dad said it might be closed now to recreational shooting.

notyers,

Since you mention Hollister Hills, I'm wondering if you are near Hollister? If so, take Airline road out towards Tres Pinos(three pines, not three penis's)/Paicines Turn on the dirt road at Tres Pinos and follow that road up over the top. When you get near the top there is BLM ground you can shoot on. At least there was when I was last there...17 yrs ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crotalus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you been up to Cow Mountain recreation area BLM land in Ukiah? It's further than an hour from the east bay though. I shoot there, there is a designated rifle/shooting range out to 500yards I think. I usually just find my own spot on the side of a mountain and set my own targets, lots of acres. The terrain is very steep and thick with cover so it would be hard to find a spot to set targets at a 1000. You shoot a rocks or what ever at a 1000 in some places I'm sure. </div></div>

not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land and gives shooters a bad name when they destroy crap. its why more and more land gets cut off each year. if you arent physically able to huff it to the range you want to shoot to setup targets and pick them up when your done then just dont shoot that far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob,
There are a couple strips of BLM land near Little Panoche just north east of you. Nothing that caters to you for a range but there would be plenty of opportunities to bust rocks across canyons well out to 1000 yards. </div></div>

again...illegal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land and gives shooters a bad name when they destroy crap</div></div>

Wow. Makes me really miss California. Glad I live here now where there's tons of public land and shooting rocks is the state pastime (when it's not gopher season
grin.gif
).

Shooting rocks illegal.. Whoda thunk it. And all this time I thought they were cheap targets from God.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land and gives shooters a bad name when they destroy crap</div></div>

Wow. Makes me really miss California. Glad I live here now where there's tons of public land and shooting rocks is the state pastime (when it's not gopher season
grin.gif
).

Shooting rocks illegal.. Whoda thunk it. And all this time I thought they were cheap targets from God.

John </div></div>

yeah i wish i could move out of CA myself.... but wether its legal or not id still recommend everyone walk there lazy asses out to set up a target lol.. it wont kill you i swear.. and then when your done... walk out and pick up your mess. ill have to take a picture of the spot i shoot at.. the amount of trash from shooters is insane. it looks like a landfill.

target shooters are there own worst enemy in CA.

Yeah, I've seen the trash... nasty. They do it here too. Shot up air conditioners... beer bottles everywhere. Pigs.

We have steel out to 1500 yds. where I shoot. We only shoot rocks when it becomes prohibitive (really time consuming) to go out, set up steel, come back, shoot it and try to spot a hit, then go paint it all over again. A lot easier to see hits and misses on rocks past 2000 yds.
wink.gif
Plus, when you hit one, there are miraculously 6 more to shoot at.
grin.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've seen the trash... nasty. They do it here too. Shot up air conditioners... beer bottles everywhere. Pigs.

We have steel out to 1500 yds. where I shoot. We only shoot rocks when it becomes prohibitive (really time consuming) to go out, set up steel, come back, shoot it and try to spot a hit, then go paint it all over again. A lot easier to see hits and misses on rocks past 2000 yds.
wink.gif
Plus, when you hit one, there are miraculously 6 more to shoot at.
grin.gif

John

</div></div>

lol yeah i hear you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

target shooters are there own worst enemy in CA. </div></div>

You hit that one on the head, A/C units, Computers, TVs, beer bottles littered with bullet holes littering public land... ruins it for everyone

There is a great spot about an hour NE of Reno where you can get out to 1700 yards.

Not to be a smart ass, but don't the bullets hit the rocks after they go through the target? Just sayin....

I was told that 416 barret was a no go at sac valley, the range officer I talked with on the phone said the 408was okay, but I do not think he knew what a 408 was.

A big plus 1 To what264 shooter said. There are some great spots in that area. Let me know if you need a spotter!!

I go out there already in Reno area about an hour out, but it sure would be nice to have something that did not kill a whole day or more. And yes, rocks are hit with my rigs every time I pull the trigger. Please rocks are like ants, 20 million to 1. Save the rocks, I can see it now. Bumper sticker! Some sherrif or ranger calls me on it, I'd say there is a target it is just to far to see. go look officer. 1000 yards is a long way to walk! I have steel targets and clean up my mess. I'm just saying that my steel hase alot of holes in them.

What is illegal about shooting rocks? I was checking the BLM websites and I did not see anything about shooting rocks. I was always taught shooting trees was bad but I missing something about rocks.

I know forest like the Yolla Bolly Wilderness allows hunting but not target shooting, is that what you are refering to?

Oh yeah, I'm with you guys from Livermore. I actually knew people who owned land off Mines Road. I hunted wild boar there for many years. There land stretched from the top of the hill down to HWY 5 almost into Patterson. They sold the land about 8 years ago and bought 3 times that in Wyoming. Man I miss those days. I'm still looking just like you guys for something close. You figure we live in a pretty rural area nowhere to shoot very long ranges. If only someone will open one up at the top of Mines Road. Imaging that.

all that acreage, and they don't even have cattle most of them. let me know if you Livermore guys find something around town/hills of Livermore. And yes Private land would be best.

I wasn't aware of the rock shooting deal, but I do know that what does screw up a lot of "cross canyon" shooting is that you can't shoot across roads, trails, or waterways. It's almost hard to find a CA BLM that has a kilometer cross-canyon stretch that doesn't have one of those three running through it.

I'm more interested in National Forest land than BLM. I know that shooting on national forests is typically allowed but I just can't see avoiding complaints if you went hiking off of Hwy 80 near Donner Pass with your rifle and did some target shooting. lol I'm sure the granola munchers on the Pacific Crest Trail would love it.
smile.gif

Try Tumey or Panoche Hills , Panoche has a 1000+ but Tumey is only about out to 500 .If you got a whole weekend planned head north to Lake Pillsbury they have an airfield that's 1500+ .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land </div></div>

Wow, what planet are we on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crotalus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you been up to Cow Mountain recreation area BLM land in Ukiah? It's further than an hour from the east bay though. I shoot there, there is a designated rifle/shooting range out to 500yards I think. I usually just find my own spot on the side of a mountain and set my own targets, lots of acres. The terrain is very steep and thick with cover so it would be hard to find a spot to set targets at a 1000. You shoot a rocks or what ever at a 1000 in some places I'm sure. </div></div>

not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land and gives shooters a bad name when they destroy crap. its why more and more land gets cut off each year. if you arent physically able to huff it to the range you want to shoot to setup targets and pick them up when your done then just dont shoot that far. </div></div>

More California BS. As far as a place to shoot, there is a place off I-80 on the way to Tahoe. Take the Alta exit and follow the road over the ridge over looking the American River. Turns to gravel and there is a little knoll that you can set up on and shoot down the river (wouldn't dare shoot ACROSS the river there). I've picked up some brass but never shot there, but it is really pretty country. Check it out sometime.

Shooting Rocks in Kalifornia
CFR 8365.1-5(a)(1) and CFR 8365.1-5(a)(2)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There have been a few posts about shooting on BLM land around the bay area so I sent an e-mail to the hollister and ukiah offices and this is what each sent me:

Hollister:
Thank you for your recent electronic inquiry regarding target shooting on BLM Land. The Hollister Field Office (HFO) manages approximately 315,000 acres of public lands located in central California encompassing 11 counties. Legal public access to these lands primarily exists in San Benito, Monterey, and Fresno Counties. There are basically 8 parcels which afford you the opportunity for hunting, hiking, target shooting, camping, etc – the parcel names are as follows: Panoche Hills, Tumey Hills, Griswold Hills, Laguna Mountain, Coalinga Mineral Springs, Curry Mountain, Williams Hill and Stockdale Mountain. The most popular target shooting areas are the Panoche, Tumey, and Griswold Hills.

Target shooting is allowed on public lands, however, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public’s enjoyment. Bureau of Land Management California policy is to allow the use of firearms on public lands, as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. Persons have the permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms, including lawfully registered assault weapons, on BLM administered public lands, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.

There are no designated target shooting areas in our resource area, but it is allowed as long as you observe the no-shooting restrictions in effect in and around parking areas and your use is limited to legal weapons and ammunition.

We do offer a Public Information Guide (PIG) – available for $4.00 – which includes an overview of our area. It contains maps (Xerox copies of hunting areas and where the trail heads are located), and information of all publicly accessible lands administered by this office. There are maps for each of the individual areas (listed above), plus a large scale map. The large map shows the location of each of the individual areas as well as major roads and towns. In addition, phone numbers and addresses for other agencies in the area, information on current restrictions (for example shooting or fire restrictions, season motor vehicle closures, etc), information regarding the size of the parcels and other general information pertinent to this office is included. A trail map of the Fort Ord Public Lands is also included in the package.

Additional maps that can be purchased are Surface Management Maps (SMM Maps). These maps are color 1:100,000 scale maps which show federal land status, cities, and main roads and are available for $4.00 each. There are 6 maps that cover our region, they are as follows: Mendota, Coalinga, Monterey, Point Sur, Cambria and Paso Robles. Be aware that we have been involved in many land exchanges, and these maps are not up-to date. The Hollister Information packet (Public Information guide) and SMM maps can be purchased over the phone with a credit card, or you can send us a check or money order made payable to USDI, BLM and mail to 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, CA 95023-2535.

Other California Maps available for sale can be located via the internet at the following site: www.blm.gov/ca/caso/iac/maps_pubroom.html

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office at 831-630-5000 – Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Best regards,
Christine Sloand
Administrative Technician
Bureau of Land Management
20 Hamilton Court
Hollister, CA 95023
831-630-5026

Ukiah:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding hunting on public lands.

BLM has one designated target shooting range in our jurisdiction: North Cow Mountain: has a rifle range, located just north of the willow creek trailhead, and has been developed specifically for target shooting. There are shooting benches and target bunkers positioned @ 50, 100, 200 and 400 yards. Specific public lands are also closed to target shooting and CFR 8365.2-5(a) states you cannot shoot in a developed recreation sites, wilderness areas and coastal monuments. Rules and Regs:

Hunting and Shooting Regulations

1. It is unlawful to shoot within 150 yards of a developed site or dwelling, including camp grounds, or from a road or trail.
2. Be sure your target has a back stop.*
3. Please carry out your targets and expended cartridges or shot shells.
4. Please use paper targets only. Shooting glass objects is prohibited.
5. Possession of assault weapons on public lands, as specified in sect 122276 of the California penal Code is prohibited.

Unless otherwise provided by Federal law or regulations, State and local laws and ordinances regarding shooting and hunting on public lands shall apply and be enforced by the appropriate authorities. BLM is authorized to enforce the California Fish and Game Code, the California Penal Code and the California Vehicle Code, which regulate shooting around buildings and roads.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">* In addition to state and local laws and regulations, BLM enforces the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). CFR 8365.1-5(a)(1) and CFR 8365.1-5(a)(2) states that you cannot shoot at any natural object (trees, bushes, stumps, rocks, etc). Specific public lands are also closed to shooting and CFR 8365.2-5(a) states you cannot shoot in a developed recreation site.</span></span>

Even thought we don’t specifically state you cannot target shoot outside the designated target shooting areas, we suggest that you stay in the target areas. The reasoning for that is when you are finished target shooting we require you to remove all your targets, gun shells, clay pigeons, and any and all items used for your target shooting. Also if our Law Enforcement Rangers see you shooting unsafety or littering, they will cite you for creating a hazard and/or a nuisance or littering.

Hope this helps,
Bethney Lefebvre
Contact Representative
USDI- BLM
2550 North State St.
Ukiah, ca. 95482</div></div>

real busy at work, everything collecting dust this month. will contact if I have a weekend soon. Panoche Hills is open and ready. I am not. I will have to make some rounds this week or next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALLOUTIND</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> sunol.? i have family over there but have never seen a spot for shooting.. Private spot? </div></div>

Yea Private.

I also have a ranch in livermore but theres not a 1000yds on it. Probably 600 yds would be the max I would allow. The problem is I not spending much time down there, kinda livin up north.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notyers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking in these forums for a few months now and really find it helpful.I was wondering if anyone has a long range site other than the Hollister hills clear creek basin spot everyone seems to know.It is closed due to asbestos.I am in need of 1000 yards or more. </div></div>

It's called Nevada.....

Wow this is a blast from the past.....

was just out checking things out at Panoche... I can't find a decent backstop for a 1000 yard range... best I could figure out was about 850 yards... though there is one more spot I have to check, but it's somewhat inaccessible by car easily.

notyers, can we see pics and specs of your .408
smile.gif
. I am supprised no one has asked yet. we love pics.

very computer dumb. I can email if someone posts for me! I have checked on Panoche and I am just not interested in there fire season B.S. Or hunting timeout season. I am not interested in walking in 3 miles from gate to shooting area. No cars! What!

@notyers, which Panoche spot did you look at... there are two in the area, and while both have fire control BS, one is definitely not three miles to shooting, but more like 100 yards, max. That's where I have measured out an 850 yard stretch from shooting prone to a nicely back stopped target hill.

Huh! I will check it out sometime soon. I still have never been there. I just call and get discouraged.

I called the National forrest ranger station for Mendocino NF and you can shoot anywhere out there as long as the targets are not clay based and the targets are not placed up against trees. A buddy and I went out there on a thurs and shot out to 1050y it is challenging to get steel out there... a little walking is involved but you could get shots out to 2 miles across canyons and it is a great area for high angle shooting.

Hello All,
New here but, Im always looking for a place to shoot at in the bay area.

For the guys that shoot at the Panoche spot can you give an address or GPS coordinates for better reference for everyone?

My problem is Ive bought the all the BLM maps but there is not any points of reference and I want to make sure Im on BLM and not some pissed off farmers land.

I go here GPS coordinates (Redacted, PM me for info) Its a spot out by San Luis Reservoir of the 152. Its some type of state patrolled hunting spot and it does say no target shooting. I havent had any problems then again Im not out there shooting hundreds of rounds. Definitely no rimfire.

Thanks,

B-

This thread has caught my attention as I too am looking for the same thing...500-1000 yds. near the bay area. I'd be willing to drive If anyone is interested in a trip to the Panoche area. ( leaving from Morgan Hill) I have never been to panoche, but from internet pictures...it looks perfect.
I have a comfortable truck to haul gear plus 4 bodies (including myself) I have an EZ up for shade, chairs, steel targets, stands and coolers for food/drinks.
Just so were on the same page, I'm not interested so much in a 100 yard blastfest. I need data on a new .308 rifle. with 4 people, we've got 2 shooters and 2 spotters and can rotate positions.
One piece of equipment I don't have is a decent spotting scope.
If anybody is interested in a day trip, let me know.
Also, I have found a good mountain bike can be helpful to take to re-paint steel at 500 plus yards, walking gets old fast. Anybody have one to bring?

-Let me know, Steve

@bigstick, I've been by that piece of 152 many times and have not noticed anywhere to get off and shoot, so that's interesting.

@sjb629, as I've reported I don't see an easy place to shoot 1000 yards, but max out at 850 on Panoche Road... Though with some offroading on BLM land a bit further east, on Google maps and from what I've scouted in person, I see a 1-2 mile distance safely doable. I had my yuppy SUV last time and didn't want to thrash it on the bumpy roads. Next time I'll bring my GMC 4WD and scout it out for sure.

850 yards is cool, it would be worth it for me, I haven't been past 550 yards with this rifle anyhow. I was poking around the net today and thought I read where Panoche is closed to vehicle use during Fire season (till OCT ) does that sound right?
Truth is, Coalinga probably would'nt be any further as far as travel time is concerned... Although Panoche is closer by distance.
Word is Coalinga a nice place to shoot, Although I have never been there.
My offer stands for Panoche, however, Coalinga would also be doable if we got an early AM start. $30 a year to join is reasonable.
We get 4 people, let's do it soon.

I go out to Indian Valley reservoir there is plenty of distance to shoot with the lake being dried up for the most part.

Aron-